PDA

View Full Version : Hand Warmer

Habfan
02-08-2014, 10:36 AM
I've was thinking about putting a hand warmer in a ziploc bag full of air in my ice fishing hole to keep it from freezing ! Has anyone tried this and also do you think it will stay afloat ? Don't want any junk in the lake !

densa44
02-08-2014, 01:27 PM
How much air will the hand warmer use and how fast, try this at home. The lake water is what, somewhere between 0 and 4 degrees C? You will be trying to heat the whole lake. If it works let me know.

Why not a thermos of hot vegetable oil that you can pour a thin layer on the water in the hole and see how that works?

Repeat as necessary.

Kokanee9
02-08-2014, 02:34 PM
"I've was thinking about putting a hand warmer in a ziploc bag full of air in my ice fishing hole to keep it from freezing ! Has anyone tried this and also do you think it will stay afloat ? Don't want any junk in the lake!"

Your kitchen sink should serve as a decent test area before heading out on the ice.

TROLLER
02-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Nice idea but I think you would be trying as said to heat the whole lake.

But if it works there are a lot of guys who will be forever thanking you for your idea

Mayhem
02-08-2014, 05:33 PM
I think it may work if it will float. Basically those warmers will give off a certain amount of heat for a set period of time so depends if it enough to keep the hole ice free. I could definitely see it working in a tent otherwise would depend on ambient temps.

The Reel Deal
02-08-2014, 05:41 PM
It would give off enough heat to keep the surface from freezing. Slick idea.

chain2
02-08-2014, 07:08 PM
thought handwarmers needed air to work?
maybe try this diy chem one [I have not tried it]...:)chain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QHbjU4TMDY

WayneChristie
02-08-2014, 07:35 PM
should keep the skin off the top, thanks for the idea

TheRealMcCoy
02-08-2014, 08:01 PM
I just float some methylhydrate (Gas line antifreeze) on the top of the
water in the hole. Methanol works better. I have lots from when I was operating gas wells.

Red Bullets
02-08-2014, 09:34 PM
I have seen a couple of guys using a 20lb. propane bottle and a radiant heater pointed right at the hole. They weren't in a tent either and it did keep their holes from freezing.

Red Bullets
02-08-2014, 09:39 PM
I've was thinking about putting a hand warmer in a ziploc bag full of air in my ice fishing hole to keep it from freezing ! Has anyone tried this and also do you think it will stay afloat ? Don't want any junk in the lake !

Good idea but I think because the hand warmer has a smaller mass than the water it will not work. It might work better if you suspended the hand warmer an inch above the water. Then it is radiating heat thru air instead of trying to heat iced water.

We used to use an electric heater that floated in the livestock water tanks during winter. Just scale down the size of that style of heater. A small floating heater powered by a 6 or 12 volt battery would work good. Or if you drive on to ice fish, one that will plug into the lighter in the truck.

Red Bullets
02-08-2014, 09:46 PM
water in the hole. Methanol works better. I have lots from when I was operating gas wells.

I wonder if a dog would sense the methanol if it wanted a drink from an unfrozen hole? I'm sure the methanol doesn't totally dissapate from the water. Or does it? What about pulling fish through a layer of methanol. Taint the fish maybe?

This method reminds me of using antifreeze to keep holes open. Some other fishermans dog ingests polluted water from the holes.

Kokanee9
02-08-2014, 09:57 PM
thought handwarmers needed air to work?...........

That's what I thought and the reason for suggesting to try it in the sink on a sealed bag. Never used any other type except the charcoal type.

EZM
02-08-2014, 10:12 PM

That is not a good idea. I hope you are joking.

Not good for the Lake or organisms in the lake. The residual effects are significant. I'm not sure how and when this idea or thought process seemed to evolve into a "great idea !!!! let try it !!!!!!" thought into your head.

If you have no idea what the effects of your actions might have, I would ask you to do some research prior to destroying our watersheds with careless, lazy and selfish act like dumping chemicals to keep your hole free of ice.

Do us all a favor and try an ice scooper or stay home.

It is also illegal.

Methanol is a worse idea .......

I don't think I need to say much more than this...........

:snapoutofit: X 100000000000

192 whitey
02-09-2014, 05:41 AM

Not good for the Lake or organisms in the lake. The residual effects are significant. I'm not sure how and when this idea or thought process seemed to evolve into a "great idea !!!! let try it !!!!!!" thought into your head.

If you have no idea what the effects of your actions might have, I would ask you to do some research prior to destroying our watersheds with careless, lazy and selfish act like dumping chemicals to keep your hole free of ice.

It is also illegal.

Yikes X2 PLEASE

Kim473
02-09-2014, 06:59 AM
R U that lazy? Stick ur hand in the hole every 10- 15 mins and skim the ice. LOL.
DUH!
If ur not attending your lines, go home and watch tv!

rafhone
02-09-2014, 08:02 AM
I'd like to try this on a tip up hole, on a -20 day.

"Take a coffee can with charcoal in it.Make a auger hole 1-1 1/2 inches deep right next to your fishing hole.Make a trench connecting the two holes.That will keep your hole open for as long as the charcoal burns.Put a couple of holes in the coffee can just above the water level to allow air for the charcoal to burn."

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2066351/2

Geezle
02-09-2014, 08:46 AM

It is also illegal.

Beat me to it.

tri777
02-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Beat me to it.

Beat me to it "X3"..what next,perhaps next month some dunce will have the bright idea of using some green friendly fukishima nuke waste in their fishing holes for these 1st world problems for these highly challenging stressful icing issues..

Deep
02-09-2014, 01:06 PM
All I can say is "wow"......every time you think you hear something stupid, then bam.......

tri777
02-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Total thumbs way down^^..
May as well throw some asian carp into the hole,
i hear they kick and squarm just enough
in the auger hole to keep it from icing..

WayneChristie
02-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Tried a couple different brands today, one wouldnt warm up at all the other took a couple hours but barely got any heat from it. Got a big poy of lakewater sitting on the back of my stove, been pouring some of that in when it skins over, works even better than peeing in it

kevinhits
02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Tried a couple different brands today, one wouldnt warm up at all the other took a couple hours but barely got any heat from it. Got a big poy of lakewater sitting on the back of my stove, been pouring some of that in when it skins over, works even better than peeing in it

Natural fluids are better than antifreeze...No...LOL:bad_boys_20:

Habfan
02-10-2014, 07:56 AM
I bought a 2 pak of Hot Spot hand warmers from Auto Value for $1.67 filled a coffee can 6" in diameter full of cold water set outside for 20 min. in -20 weather with no wind. Took out warmer and shook it as per instructions then let it warm up for 15 min.I then put it in a ziplock sandwich bag with some air in it and put in water. First skim of ice formed on edges in 35 min. In 45 min ice was all around the bag,after an hour I took it out and water had not frozen where the warmer was laying. So it kinda worked & did not lose any air and sink. Package says made from all natural ingredients !!!

Mike_W
02-10-2014, 08:31 AM
I bought one of those bobbers that they sell at the fishin hole that you put your line through and fill with some sort of anti freeze. I have yet to try it but might be worth checking out.

Habfan
02-10-2014, 08:36 AM
I bought one of those bobbers that they sell at the fishin hole that you put your line through and fill with some sort of anti freeze. I have yet to try it but might be worth checking out.

I asked bass pro about those and they said they never heard of em !! Did they give u the juice to put inside bobber ? What's the cost ?

omega50
02-10-2014, 12:45 PM
This might work
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lucky-Duck-H2O-Quiver-Magnet/707059.uts

That or just raid the nightstand while Mama is at bingo

Mike_W
02-10-2014, 01:39 PM
http://www.fishusa.com/Product/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Stopper-Line-DeIcer-Kit

Habfan
02-10-2014, 03:38 PM
http://www.fishusa.com/Product/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Stopper-Line-DeIcer-Kit

Out comes the jaw jacker ! Thanks Mike:sHa_shakeshout: