PDA

View Full Version : Stinger hooks

jungleboy
02-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Are stinger hooks legal in Alberta waters? I was looking at tying some Jigs with a Stinger and wasn't sure .

Buckwheat
02-09-2014, 09:50 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=91736&highlight=Stinger+hooks

EZM
02-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Yes they are, no problem.

The regulations, when simplified, define "one lure" as "one hook".

So adding a treble stinger, for example, to a tube jug (or other lead head) with a single hook is no problem.

jungleboy
02-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks for that . I guess I should've used the search option:)

Rabdo
02-09-2014, 10:12 AM
hey EZM, do you add treble stinger hooks using fluorocarbon leader? that must be a tough one to tie on, being so short.

by the way, thanks again for helping me tie my own fluorocarbon leaders. i'm glad to say I caught some pike on my first leader and it has held up fine

EZM
02-09-2014, 01:21 PM
No worries - I'm glad it worked out for you. when pike are eyeballing your minnow, the invisible fluorocarbon really helps ..... went fishing with a big group recently and the pike and walleyes were being finicky. The guys using fluorocarbon caught fish and experienced less rejects. The guys using wire landed only one fish and had lots of rejects.

I don't use stingers allot - I only add them when the bait is big or the fish are short striking.

I recently purchased a spool of 20lb leader material and I tie up my stingers with this - and it is a pain in the butt for sure - but it works. I use these exclusively for trophy sized pike hunting. These are tied up with bigger barbless trebles on big baits. These are bullet proof. My main fluorocarbon leader, to my main hook, remains heavier ( 40,60 or 80 lb).

I also use store bought stingers occasionally when the walleyes or lakers are short striking ..... I don't mind using these for the average lake with average pike/walleye/trout, with normal sized bait and small stingers ..... it works just fine. every once in a while, as expected, a pike will shear your line, but that should be expected.

Fluorocarbon Leaders are the worlds greatest fishing innovation to come out in a long time ........ I will never use wire again. Stronger, more durable, invisible, kink free and supple and easy on the hands/fish to avoid cuts.