PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my "Strathcona Special" yesterday!!

Marlin07
10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I was in the market for a rifled slug barrel for my 870 in order to go after one of those monster Strathcona whitetails. After a little thought and research I settled on a H&R ultra slug gun. All I can say is WOW. For a little more than the price of a Remington barrel I have a very accurate slug gun with a way better trigger. I topped it with a 1x4 scope and couldn't be happier. I do however have a few question's. The scope's parallax seems to be set for 50 yard's, I am wondering if any one has any suggestions for a quality scope for this type of set up, seeing as the Sabot slug's on the market are capable out to 150-200yd's and the scope isn't( I was in a hurry to go try it out and settled on a cheap Bushnell shotgun scope) Secondly anyone here have any experience with this gun? I would like some feed back on preformace of some of the sabot slug loads out there. Thanks for the help guy's!

Morbius131
10-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Marlin,

I bought the identicle gun. I had a chance to run 25 slugs down it and all I can say is that it is very accurate. It is a little heavier than your average rifle but I am also looking forward to shooting it. Based on where I may be hunting I have sighted it in at 75 yards.

I definitely have no complaints after hauling it around and shooting it. Great purchase adn you definitely can't complain about the price.

Morb

Marlin07
10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
You are sure right about the price, i can't see getting a better deal. I don't really mind the extra weight as I feel it less in the shoulder. I will mostly be using it as a sit and wait type of gun so it really seems to be the ticket for me. I am interested to see how you make out with yours this season, best of luck. What does your gun like to shoot?

Jeff

Morbius131
10-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah mine will be a sit and wait gun as well but I will be shooting in close proximity. The recoil is a different recoil than a rifle but it is definitely bareable. I am shooting 2 3/4 slugs because I am going to hunt the deer the same way I bow hunt them. I think that is going to be a very successful combination.

Shooting it...it shoots nice!

Morb

Marlin07
10-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Shoot nice it sure does, I was out at my sisters farm yesterday and was getting honest 3"- 100yard groups with the Remington solid copper hollow points. The lighter faster noslers seemed to not do as well. I really want to get my hands on those ballistic missile looking new Remington slugs with the green translucent tip.
I might pick up some Hornady 300grain slugs and see how they work out for me. Running out of time for the October 25 opener here:D

Morbius131
10-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah I was shooting the Copper Solids as well! I am going to stick with those unless I have some time to drive the long distance to sight the big boy in with new slugs. If you do end up trying some new ammo definitly let me know how that goes. I am looking forward to getting out...I just hope I am able to find some time during the week to get out there.

Morb

slug
10-10-2008, 09:11 PM
try the winchester sabot slugs ,they work good in my gun ,more than happy with them.

Alberta Bigbore
10-12-2008, 01:18 AM
here's my Strathcona special. Remington 870 pump action slugger with cantilever mount, rifled barrel, wearing a Leupold M8 4x 33 mm scope, and Weaver windage adjustable rings. she shoots Win SuperX 3 inch mags good, but im sure she will eat something better yet. good enough for the deer im hunting this season though in Strathcona county.

this was from the range today. Put 28 slugs down her pipe today. played at 50 yards and 100 yards. Firing off the 3 inch mag sabots, i could hear the sabots breaking free and whistling through the air with ear plugs in. LOL

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Outdoor%20Related/IMG_0229.jpg