PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Reservoir advice

whammy
02-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Hey all,

I've used the search function, read all the threads related to Ghost ice fishing and I've been out a number of times still with no success. Wondering if anyone is willing to offer some words of wisdom and advice to me on locations/techniques.

Thanks!

stob
02-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Get a good pair of binoculars and follow the tire tracks west

Go the church and use spotting scope

Certain areas produce Lake trout / others burbot

Some fish shallower for whitefish

Have seen one small pike come through the ice

TROLLER
02-10-2014, 11:29 AM
The best advise I could give is to choose a different lake to fish.

If you are determined to punish yourself then keep to the far west end of the lake and good luck with that.:)

jts1
02-10-2014, 02:01 PM
I agree...

Go somewhere else... There are fish there, some even say they do rather well. I think they are full of crap mind you but they still say it. The only thing I have not done out there is a night fish for Burbs but I have wasted so much time on the lake I am not sure I ever will try it.

The Reel Deal
02-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Keep trying
Took me 10 trips to catch a fish. Im feeling much more confident now.
Its rewarding when you do hook up

Richard berube
02-11-2014, 02:01 PM
This lake reminds me where I growed up many years ago. Back then we use to go for lingcod
in the winter, we would put 30 lines in the water and have 30 links the next day. One day the lake
level came down to one of the lowers level it ever been. This killed most of the lingcod population as they rather to live in the weeds (shallower water). Coincidentally 3 to 5 years after the lakers
and brook trout came back to where we never seem before.

3 years ago I put 6 line in the water (over night) attempting to see if this fish could be part of the
problem... Well guess what, 6 line 6 lingcod and 1 of them had a 6 to 8 inch trout in it's mouth.

My conclusion is this lake is infested with that bottom feeder and until the aload us to set lines
over night and hopefully bring the population down which am not so sure if that you be sufficient
we will be spending days on end catching (NOTHING)

Richard

TROLLER
02-11-2014, 03:53 PM
This lake reminds me where I growed up many years ago. Back then we use to go for lingcod
in the winter, we would put 30 lines in the water and have 30 links the next day. One day the lake
level came down to one of the lowers level it ever been. This killed most of the lingcod population as they rather to live in the weeds (shallower water). Coincidentally 3 to 5 years after the lakers
and brook trout came back to where we never seem before.

3 years ago I put 6 line in the water (over night) attempting to see if this fish could be part of the
problem... Well guess what, 6 line 6 lingcod and 1 of them had a 6 to 8 inch trout in it's mouth.

My conclusion is this lake is infested with that bottom feeder and until the aload us to set lines
over night and hopefully bring the population down which am not so sure if that you be sufficient
we will be spending days on end catching (NOTHING)

Richard

:test: Not quite sure where you were going with this but I do not think Ghost is invested with burbot which are eating the trout. Lakers are fierce feeders and are more likely to feed on the borbot

BeeGuy
02-11-2014, 04:03 PM
:test: Not quite sure where you were going with this but I do not think Ghost is invested with burbot which are eating the trout. Lakers are fierce feeders and are more likely to feed on the borbot

In lake trout fisheries with depressed lake trout stocks, burbot have been found to be the apex predator.

Mountain and lake whitefish will predate on lake trout fry and smolts heavily as well.

Ghost does have a healthy burbot population.

EZM
02-11-2014, 04:09 PM
In lake trout fisheries with depressed lake trout stocks, burbot have been found to be the apex predator.

Hey !!!!!!!! you are out on parole .........

Just curious about that statement (Burbot as the Apex predator) ..... just curious to hear more about how this.

Particularly on lakes like Ghost ....

Fisher_man#1
02-11-2014, 04:12 PM
3 years ago I put 6 line in the water (over night)

Dont know if this is the best thing to say over an open forum...

jacenbeers
02-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Why do people love Ghost so much? I have caught lake whites, Rocky whites, lake trout, burbs and brown trout in Ghost. However, it is not a go-to lake because it can really really suck. I have had good days and bad days but I have never thought about really trying to figure it out because it is just one of those crappy lakes that is hit and miss. If you really want to learn it then move around a lot and try lots of things and then when you figure it out, keep it all to yourself and enjoy the lake.

kevinhits
02-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Dont know if this is the best thing to say over an open forum...

Troller resurected from the dead...LOL

Ignore it:sign0176:

BeeGuy
02-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Why do people love Ghost so much? I have caught lake whites, Rocky whites, lake trout, burbs and brown trout in Ghost. However, it is not a go-to lake because it can really really suck. I have had good days and bad days but I have never thought about really trying to figure it out because it is just one of those crappy lakes that is hit and miss. If you really want to learn it then move around a lot and try lots of things and then when you figure it out, keep it all to yourself and enjoy the lake.

Some of my most spectacular days fishing in Alberta have been on ghost.

I like to think it separates the boys from the men ;)

BeeGuy
02-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Hey all,

I've used the search function, read all the threads related to Ghost ice fishing and I've been out a number of times still with no success. Wondering if anyone is willing to offer some words of wisdom and advice to me on locations/techniques.

Thanks!

Try and target a specific type of fish in its typical habitat. Do not fish in a general manner.

Sunrise and sunset are best.

wags
02-11-2014, 05:01 PM

I know for me it's the challenge! It's also why I go to Swan so often, in spite of never catching a fish there. Some day I will win :)

Cheers

wags
02-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Try and target a specific type of fish in its typical habitat. Do not fish in a general manner.

Sunrise and sunset are best.

And welcome back Bee!

Cheers

The Reel Deal
02-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Why do people love Ghost so much? .

love hate

proximity
scenery
challenge

huntsfurfish
02-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi BG!

BeeGuy
02-11-2014, 05:14 PM
And welcome back Bee!

Cheers

:fighting0030:

Thanks wags! Who ever you might be!

BeeGuy
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Hi BG!

Oh Snap!

It's a party.

:oregonian_winesmile

creighton
02-11-2014, 05:38 PM
We have not caught a fish on ghost lake in five years. Still learning, still not giving up lol :angry3:

wags
02-11-2014, 05:48 PM
:fighting0030:

Thanks wags! Who ever you might be!

Just some guy who likes to fish.

Cheers

fish gunner
02-11-2014, 06:45 PM
We have not caught a fish on ghost lake in five years. Still learning, still not giving up lol :angry3:

Thats the spirit right there, ive got my own nemesis lake. Five six yrs to catch a game fish. Now I have two species patterned . One all I catch is 10lbs . The other 12" . Now to find the big ones . Lol never any one to be seen fishing .

fish99
02-11-2014, 06:55 PM
there is a same creek that comes in on the south shore always caught fish their in the summer

BeeGuy
02-11-2014, 07:07 PM
there is a same creek that comes in on the south shore always caught fish their in the summer

boat access?

fish99
02-11-2014, 07:26 PM
boat access?

boat launch is by the bridge. head south from there to main lake then west creek is on south side almost across from summer village

BeeGuy
02-11-2014, 07:32 PM
The spot I meant.

The spot is boat access.

Gotcha

jacenbeers
02-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Some of my most spectacular days fishing in Alberta have been on ghost.

I like to think it separates the boys from the men ;)

I have had some amazing days there as well but they are quite seasonal and so i know when and where to be when the fish will bite. However, as a general rule I would not pick a random day and go fish Ghost because it for the most part sucks a whole lot.

Richard berube
02-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Here's what I got from wikipedia.org

Diet and predators[edit]

At the larval stage, month-old burbot will begin exogenous feeding, consuming food through the mouth and digesting in the intestines. Burbot at the larval stage and into the juvenile stage will feed on invertebrates based on size: Under 1 cm, burbot will eat copepods and cladocerans, and above 1 and 2 cm zooplankton and amphipods. As adults, burbot are primarily piscivores, preying on lamprey, whitefish, grayling, young northern pike, suckers, stickleback, trout, and perch.[4] At times, burbot will also eat insects and other macroinvertebrates and have been known to eat frogs, snakes, and birds. Having such a wide diet is also correlated to their tendency to bite lures, making them very easy to catch. Burbot are preyed upon by northern pike, muskellunge, and some lamprey species.

Like I said, you put several line over night with a large chunk of fish right down to bottom and every single line will have a lingcod the next day. I am aware this is illegal but I am just doing this for my own knowledge on what could potentially be happening there.
I could be wrong but at least it is a theory.

Richard berube
02-12-2014, 10:41 AM
CLARIFICATION
Sorry TROLLER I was talking about Ghost Reservoir and not Spray Lake.

Spray Lake is a great lake with a healthy popolation of Lakers. Have been there several time this winter and has been good each time.

Richard

oceanADDIKT
06-02-2014, 10:45 AM
not a lot of people realize it but troll ghost along the shore near the dam during spring and ul catch fish