PDA

View Full Version : Where the Walleye are

tiger woods
02-11-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm having a laughably difficult time finding walleye in lake X. I know they're there, but I can't for the life of me seem to locate them. I've tried shallow, deep, sharp drops, under water islands, lake shore perimeter weed beds, etc. Cant even find them on the camera, and now im at a point where im so determined to catch one through the ice that my wife is almost a fishing widow. Mostly just jig and a minnow is what I've used, but I'm starting to think I should be trying something else.

Does using a wire leader deter them that much? I've caught them on leaders before, so I'm not thinking that's the problem, plus I can't keep the pike off so the leader helps with them.

Should I be targeting sandy bottoms in the shallower water now that the burbs are getting set to spawn?

Really at a loss here. I've spent a ton of time punching holes, any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Tight lines. TW

dodgeboy1979
02-11-2014, 01:52 PM
jig and minnow or little spoon and minnow is what i use. try and locate underwater structure like little humps etc.... i have always had better luck in those areas for walters

NEWB
02-11-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm having a laughably difficult time finding walleye in lake X. I know they're there, but I can't for the life of me seem to locate them. I've tried shallow, deep, sharp drops, under water islands, lake shore perimeter weed beds, etc. Cant even find them on the camera, and now im at a point where im so determined to catch one through the ice that my wife is almost a fishing widow. Mostly just jig and a minnow is what I've used, but I'm starting to think I should be trying something else.

Does using a wire leader deter them that much? I've caught them on leaders before, so I'm not thinking that's the problem, plus I can't keep the pike off so the leader helps with them.

Should I be targeting sandy bottoms in the shallower water now that the burbs are getting set to spawn?

Really at a loss here. I've spent a ton of time punching holes, any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Tight lines. TW

I stopped fishing Lake X and went to Lake Y.

I use hardware Z with bait A. I look for structure's C and D when locating the walleyes. I have also found that when the weather conditions are that of 1a. fishing in lake Y is more favorable than weather conditions of 2c.

cube
02-11-2014, 02:06 PM

Tight lines. TW

If you're not seeing them on the sonar or camera it's not your leader that’s the problem. I don't know lake x so can only say keep moving until you find them. They may be much deeper or shallower than you think at certain times of the year. You might also use a rattle bait or one with allot more flash to call them in, at least until you find them. You can then have one dead stick with a jig and a minnow and one flash/rattle bait going and see what there biting on. If nothing on the sonar in 15-20 min. move.

Good luck to you.

pikeslayer22
02-11-2014, 02:06 PM
IMHO...Definetly get rid of the wire leader!! but if you can't find them on the camera good luck catching them...Lake X is kind of vauge if your looking for a spot to fish

kevinhits
02-11-2014, 02:21 PM

Tight lines. TW

Is your Lake x a common lake or a secret lake....

I think a lot of guys will head you in the right direction if it is a common lake:)

hacman
02-11-2014, 02:34 PM
The walleye that I have caught lately have been on the shy side and wouldn't hit a moving bait, they took the jig/minnow right off the bottom with just small twitches. Using the camera helped to figure this out.

If you have found walleye on your lake x before then you should still be able to locate them. If your not seeing any on camera then maybe they are suspended a bit. We used to catch them from the boat using p-rigs and minnows, spreading out the hooks by 3 feet or so. One hook would be right on the bottom and we'd catch perch, but the walleye would always take the upper hook.

Or, everyone is fishing lake x and all the walleye are gone.

tiger woods
02-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Lake X is a common lake. I'm being vague for a couple of reasons...1 being that this is the Internet and out of respect for those that want to continue to enjoy this lake I don't want to heat it out as some sort of walleye hot spot; and reason 2 is that I was hoping to expand my knowledge of seasonal tendencies of these fish so that I can target them no matter which lake X I choose that day. I'm hoping to be able to find my own spots rather than be told "go throw a hook here and have at it".

Appreciate the responses so far though, this forum is useful and most of the people here are great

Jamie Black R/T
02-11-2014, 02:36 PM
dangle a dead stick with a Flourocarbon leader to a jig and minnow about 10 inches off the bottom.

then a few feet away in a second hole work something with some flash. Cicada, jigging spoon/rap etc. You can even tip this with something too. I like a jigging spoon with a minnow head.

I like mid lake structure. it produces and isn't usually very crowded. Rocky humps and weedbeds in the middle of nowhere are the ticket

Big Red 250
02-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Maybe try jigging off points, where shallow water 6-12 ft drops off to 20+ ft. Slow down your jigging from bottom up about 1 or2 feet.

NEWB
02-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Lake X is a common lake. I'm being vague for a couple of reasons...1 being that this is the Internet and out of respect for those that want to continue to enjoy this lake I don't want to heat it out as some sort of walleye hot spot; and reason 2 is that I was hoping to expand my knowledge of seasonal tendencies of these fish so that I can target them no matter which lake X I choose that day. I'm hoping to be able to find my own spots rather than be told "go throw a hook here and have at it".

Appreciate the responses so far though, this forum is useful and most of the people here are great

There are a lot of common lakes.

People can point you in the right direction and what to look for if it is a common lake. Most lakes have very low limits for walleye if there is even a catch limit.

Ther is a pleathora of knowledge and resources on here. If this is a secret lake then you might want to do some more research on the lake. Look at depth charts, topical views of the lake and look for points and sudden drop offs.

Walleye are a fickle fish. I usualy catch boatloads of them about an hour before sunset or in darkening/ stormy conditions.

Unless it is pigeon lake, then it is pretty much every time I drop a line in then I pull up a walleye.

baptiste_moose
02-11-2014, 03:00 PM
I love how your calling it lake X yet u haven't caught one. Nice work!!!:snapoutofit:

Mike_W
02-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Is there a water source for the lake? A large shallow sand flat? Try finding structure near there as the walleye will begin staging for spawn.

EZM
02-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Check the inflows (if there are any) - adjacent deep structure near entrance to inflow is the best place to look IMO if you are not finding them in the traditional areas.

I think the water temp is too cool for pre-spawning just yet - needs to be up a few more degrees - but you can also look for boulders, rocky bottoms or gravel to see if, by some chance they have staged up.

Usually you need 6-7 degrees Celsius (water temp) before this starts to happen - right now most lakes are still 3-4 degrees.

The Reel Deal
02-11-2014, 04:26 PM
found my eyes in 18' lately, sand bottom close to shallow weed beds.
lose the leader, set up a cam to watch your bait so if a pike rolls in you won't get bitten off.
move around your structure, if they hold there in the summer they won't be far now

binnzer32
02-11-2014, 04:38 PM
You need skill to catch them at lake x (battle)...

baptiste_moose
02-11-2014, 04:38 PM
All mine are coming off sand flats near out flows close to a steep drop

depolloc
02-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Loose the leader. I catch way more eyes without a metal leader...yes, you'll loose some (pike mostly), but your overall catch rate will increase...well hopefully :-P. That's my 2c. I find fishing for eyes to be slow in February, and picks up mid march or so.

fishunt
02-11-2014, 06:36 PM
wow? what Chinese combo we getting/ get rid of leader/ jig head and minnow should work. jmo. :)

fish99
02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
there is a small under water gravel hump about 1/2 mile from the boat launch to the right.. 12-18 feet of water on the west is the best jig and minnow on the bottom.. good luck.

Icatchfish
02-11-2014, 07:09 PM
you might wanna give before you ask. keep lake X a secret obviously its not a good fishing spot or you just got the worst setup.

BGSH
02-12-2014, 10:51 AM
finally saw a wabamun walleye on camera. Good size to. But seen most of them on camera at lake b. Lake g has been amazing. But lake s is always a good call. Lake h has a long ways to go ;)

Walleye101
02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
4'-6' of water at sundown. 1/8 oz glow jig head tipped with a minnow. Using
6-8 pound mono. Get rid of the leader and get ready for action!!

pikester
02-12-2014, 06:07 PM

Tight lines. TW

I'm not a walleye genious but if you are convinced there is a decent population in that lake I would switch to a fluorocarbon leader & go over all the usual depths & structures with lures that put a lot of disturbance & vibration into the water like larger Cicadas, Clackin Raps, Salmo Zipper, etc. Even if they aren't willing to bite on those lures they will come investigate & then you will get an idea of what areas to concentrate on.

EZM
02-12-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm not a walleye genious but if you are convinced there is a decent population in that lake I would switch to a fluorocarbon leader & go over all the usual depths & structures with lures that put a lot of disturbance & vibration into the water like larger Cicadas, Clackin Raps, Salmo Zipper, etc. Even if they aren't willing to bite on those lures they will come investigate & then you will get an idea of what areas to concentrate on.

Agreed with everything you said .........

Fluorocarbon Leader - no pike biting you off and still invisible for the walleyes ...

I have caught more fish on a rattlin' rap this winter than any other lure hands down - make some noise and then gently move it down when the finicky pike / walleyes come in to investigate. Gentle pulse on bottom will get the mud stiring and initiate a strike.