PDA

View Full Version : Power Boats - Open Water Season?

Bang Drop
02-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Wondering what the typical open water season is for fishing from power boats in Southern Alberta (within 2.5 hours of Calgary)... when the lakes are accessible at the launch spring/fall. Trying to figure out if a boat is in our future or not, partly depends on how long the season really is and whether we'd get enough use out of it.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

The Reel Deal
02-11-2014, 05:10 PM
if you find yourself tossing and turning at night thinking about fishing on the weekend - you should buy a boat

if you play hooky from work to go fishing - you should buy a boat

if your wife will let you - you should buy a boat

if you go fishing only when its nice out - you should buy a convertible!

:acigar:

The Reel Deal
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
fishing on most bodies is from may 8 - march 16 (check the regs)
you can fish open water from a boat till early November, and ice is gone by may opener (south AB)

pinelakeperch
02-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Early to mid April.

fish gunner
02-11-2014, 05:36 PM
May long- end of october unless you have a coverd boat. 6+months, two of which are cold &crappy. two of which are warm and full of dolts . Some lakes become unfishable due to "recrational" boaters cough cough. Pine , chestamere sylvan all but dangerous on weekends. Most lakes in sothern AB do not reach a mile in any direction from center one can expect a few thousand hp pulling ropes with hazzards on each end .

Dale S
02-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Southern AB. is known to be a little windy at times. Something you have to keep in mind when your buying a boat. You don't want to be on Keho when the wind gets going, in a 12' tinner.

The Reel Deal
02-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Southern AB. is known to be a little windy at times. Something you have to keep in mind when your buying a boat. You don't want to be on Keho when the wind gets going, in a 12' tinner.

X2
I cracked the hull on a 16' glass boat on keho

npauls
02-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I start dropping my boat in the water usually around mid April most seasons and don't put it away until a thin layer of ice is on the reservoirs I fish.

The last couple years I have put it away a bit earlier then normal because I have started bow hunting. Hopefully I can fill some tags early this season and get back to chasing walleyes in the late fall.