PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about Lynx Creek just north of the Ram

topik3900
02-11-2014, 07:09 PM
I was wondering about how the fishing was at Lynx Creek just north of the Ram Falls and how the road/access to it I have serched it on here but havent found exactly what i want to find. I have maps showing that there is a road going into it and have google mapped it; it looks like a decent road from what i saw but then again its google maps. I also think i read that it was gated off.. Any info on this Creek and its access/road condition would be muchly appreciated

densa44
02-11-2014, 10:07 PM
This was when my kids were young, but it is a lovely little trout stream, son caught his first trout on a fly. A yellow sally and a cut I think. There was a place we could park the trailer nearby. The forestry trunk road is "sort of" all season. Make sure that it is open. I don't know about any gates.

Lets hope some of the experts give you some more recent experience.

buckman
02-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Last time I drove by there was a gate on the access road.You could probably get a quad in though.

topik3900
02-12-2014, 12:07 PM
ok thanks. I'm trying to find somenew camping/fishing spots for the summer.. Anyone have any info on cripple creek?

mikeym
02-12-2014, 12:41 PM
lots of smaller cuts as is typical of most of the feeder streams to the Ram Rivers. most of these creeks are used as breeding creeks and nurseries for the big cuts in the Ram rivers, so you will typically never catch anything really big, but you will catch lots and lots of smaller eager cutthroats when you find the pools.

remember one small corner pool on Cripple creek i fished many years ago. couldn't keep the little 4 - 8" cuts of the fly. most of them were even hitting the fly before it hit the water. it was a blast.

the other problem now days is all the quadders that tear up and down these small streams disturbing the redds, killing the eggs and small fry's and washing their quads off in the streams and dumping all the oil, gas and muck into these sensitive streams. have no problem with respectful quadders (i do a lot of quadding in the area) it is just the ones that don't show any respect or commonm sense to the surrounding enviroment. a lot of the streams in the area that used to have lots of fish in them are getting to be pretty barren these days.

sorry for the rant, its just that if you are expecting a nice peaceful day on some of these rivers, you are probably going to be disappointed to a point.

rgds
Mike

topik3900
02-12-2014, 02:38 PM
not a problem on the rant lol.. how is the access into cripple creek by chance. is there anywhere to get a trailer into it for the weekend?

Sooner
02-12-2014, 03:39 PM
I used to hunt there behind Lynx creek. There is a fair sized parking area before the gate. You could camp there. No vehicle access behind the gate but we used the quads on the old logging road to get back about 15 km or more to set up the wall tent. Haven't been there in about 10 yrs. You may need to go for a spring road trip and check out the gate area. Some camp spots along the trunk road just a bit north of the Lynx creek gate area. Nice country and the creek look great for fishing. There is some real nice creeks way back in a far valley. The old logging road crosses the creek a few times and ends up at the Ram river. Lots of access from the old trail.

topik3900
02-12-2014, 09:24 PM
I will defanetly have to take a road trip up there.. I have been to cutoff creek a few times and i enjoyed it there but i didnt find the fishing to be all that great, unless anyone knows if there are any good spots that i may not have hit.

Xiph0id
02-12-2014, 09:38 PM
I fish that area lots.
Tones of small cutts in cripple and lynx.

Depending on how I feel, I'll fish them.
But I prefer to stay on the main part of the ram.

Nothing like a 20" cutty

Tip... Explore.
Every year I find a new spot to fish.