PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon lake whites

Dhans
02-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Not asking anyone to give up their honey hole but just wondering if anybody has caught or even seen some whites at pigeon this winter, curious to hear what kind of luck every bodies having out there.

WildCats
02-12-2014, 12:07 AM
It's getting worse every year, all the die off and commercial fishery still in progress. The average size is 4-4.5 lbs but there is no young fish up and coming anymore.

WC

Fritze
02-12-2014, 12:08 AM
camped on the lake last weekend. Saw a few out by mulhurst on the camera. nothin serious though. commercial boys were out there when we rolled in. looked like they were netting right in the deepest part of the lake

buckmaster
02-12-2014, 07:59 AM
It's getting worse every year, all the die off and commercial fishery still in progress. The average size is 4-4.5 lbs but there is no young fish up and coming anymore.

WC

Lots of whites in pigeon. Thats why its gets netted every once in a while. After walleye were re-introduced into pigeon i have found that the whites migrated to deeper water .

buckmaster
02-12-2014, 08:01 AM
commercial boys were out there when we rolled in. looked like they were netting right in the deepest part of the lake

Exactly where to find the whites!

WildCats
02-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Yes they have moved into deeper water but that's just in the last few years. Walleye weren't reintroduced, they have always been there. You no longer see whites under three pounds anymore, only larger fish. I wouldn't be surprised to find them non existent within a few years.

WC

Stinky Buffalo
02-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Have not seen any the last two times I have been there.

cube
02-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Walleye weren't reintroduced, they have always been there.

WC

From Alberta Environment “Pigeon Lake” 1989 “Walleye disappeared from Pigeon Lake after 1964, But were stocked back into the lake in 1979 and for several years thereafter.”
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fenvironment.gov.ab.ca%2Finfo%2Fli brary%2F8628.pdf&ei=Gtf7UuqHOcT1qwHqFw&usg=AFQjCNG8OKXFb-O3At017wthRCRf4_G1aA

From the 2011 FWIN report “Stocking of Walleye in Pigeon Lake occurred most recently from 1994 to 1999 in order to re-establish a naturally reproducing population. Many of the Walleye being caught continue to be from the 1997, 1998, and 1999 stocking years

From the FWIN report 2004 total walleye stocked into pigeon lake from 1994-1999 was 18,394,793
so a bit over 18.3 million.

You are very likely correct though about your suspicions of the White Fish population going forward if nothing is done to bring the walleye population in line.

Dhans
02-12-2014, 02:38 PM
So if I'm following this correctly you are implying that if the walleye population remains high , than the whitefish population will continue to decrease. Could pigeon lake be going down the same road as calling lake?

Mike_W
02-12-2014, 04:32 PM
So if I'm following this correctly you are implying that if the walleye population remains high , than the whitefish population will continue to decrease. Could pigeon lake be going down the same road as calling lake?

Yes I would day you can compare calling and pigeon quite similarly! Not enough baitfish to sustain the population therefore immature gamefish and gamefish minnows are bait.

Hence the decline in perch, whitefish and pike in these two lakes.

I think a baitfish stocking program could be of benefit!!

fish99
02-12-2014, 05:52 PM
during the summer with calm water you would whites jumping all over the lake, I have not seen one jump in over 8 years. no small whites in the lake as they are eaten before they get 1 lb

WildCats
02-12-2014, 07:26 PM
From Alberta Environment “Pigeon Lake” 1989 “Walleye disappeared from Pigeon Lake after 1964, But were stocked back into the lake in 1979 and for several years thereafter.”
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fenvironment.gov.ab.ca%2Finfo%2Fli brary%2F8628.pdf&ei=Gtf7UuqHOcT1qwHqFw&usg=AFQjCNG8OKXFb-O3At017wthRCRf4_G1aA

From the 2011 FWIN report “Stocking of Walleye in Pigeon Lake occurred most recently from 1994 to 1999 in order to re-establish a naturally reproducing population. Many of the Walleye being caught continue to be from the 1997, 1998, and 1999 stocking years

From the FWIN report 2004 total walleye stocked into pigeon lake from 1994-1999 was 18,394,793
so a bit over 18.3 million.

You are very likely correct though about your suspicions of the White Fish population going forward if nothing is done to bring the walleye population in line.

Sorry, I'll rephrase that, I'm talking the last 25-30 years. The lake was self sustaining until the province started playing around with catch limits, namely walleye. Yes, there is lakes in Alberta that required "0" retention and still do however Pigeon was not one of them. I'm not saying break it wide open as we all know with today's angler numbers it will likely collapse in a short period of time. Slot limits need to be implemented, one walleye per day between 18-22" would be a good start on Pigeon. We used to see all age classes of whites in the lake up until 5-6 years ago, now they all run in excess of 3 lbs and are becoming less and less prominent.

WC

wbaj
02-13-2014, 06:26 PM

WC

Last August we went for a boat ride with out rods, just a bit of a cruise to test a new boat and counted over 200 whites belly up floating in the lake. The summer die- off is bad on the lake, I remember the days of old when one could catch 20 in a day and throw back 18 because you always knew you could get another 20 the next trip out.
I think the whites are in big trouble in this lake!

pikergolf
02-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Last August we went for a boat ride with out rods, just a bit of a cruise to test a new boat and counted over 200 whites belly up floating in the lake. The summer die- off is bad on the lake, I remember the days of old when one could catch 20 in a day and throw back 18 because you always knew you could get another 20 the next trip out.
I think the whites are in big trouble in this lake!

Blue Green Algae die off can suck the oxygen out of the water, whites being a cool water species can be particularly affected.

Red Bullets
02-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Part of the problem with younger whitefish being in pigeon lake is that there has been a population increase in pelicans, double breated cormorants, osprey and eagles too... These birds eat young whitefish and baitfish.
In the 1970's cormorants were on the endangered list with only a couple hundred nesting birds in alberta. In 2005 there were 8000 breeding pairs just within 45 km. of Lac La biche. about 28000 fish eating cormerants just in that little area. you can bet fish eating birds are taking a toll on all of alberta lakes.

Yes, summer/winter kills and green blue algae kills lots of fish but the birds are a big factor too.