PDA

View Full Version : Color of spoon/lure/jig vs time of day

Kokaneeranger
02-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Good morning peeps, I was wondering if anybody has had any consistency with the changing colors daybreak to day and then back to sunset and night time fishing. Typically when I fish wallys during the day I use the typical colors ie chartuese/orange/firetiger patterns. During low light conditions do you have better luck with say blues or golds or silvers. watcha think guys?

Mike_W
02-12-2014, 11:09 AM
I find water color/stain make more of a difference than light but will switch to glow colors in the evening/night

dodgeboy1979
02-12-2014, 11:16 AM
i pretty much just go with yellows, whites and chartreuse all the time.

Big Red 250
02-12-2014, 12:18 PM
I use white summer & winter and do alright. I do think it's more important to do away with your leader than what color to use. Also important is the speed at which your jigging and keeping a tight line. A little more here than you asked about.

cube
02-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Good morning peeps, I was wondering if anybody has had any consistency with the changing colors daybreak to day and then back to sunset and night time fishing. Typically when I fish wallys during the day I use the typical colors ie chartuese/orange/firetiger patterns. During low light conditions do you have better luck with say blues or golds or silvers. watcha think guys?

You might want to give this a read.

http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/Home/Topics/FishandFisheries/Details.aspx?PostID=1702

For me Color is the least important of factors.
1. Location (lake you are at)
2. Structure (where on Lake)
3. Depth
4. Speed
5. Lure Action
6. Presentation
7. Brightness of lure at the depth and water conditions you are fishing.
8. Then may be color, though I must say most of the time it does not make a difference.

If you read the above article you will see that they allude to the fact that Walleye don't have great color vision but are rather more keyed to low light vision.

Good luck to you