PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy augers ?

chop
02-13-2014, 04:13 PM
looking at buying a like new second hand auger from a guy at work .
All i know so far is that it has drill less than 20 hole and it is a 8 ''. Are there any models to stay away from , like certain year or motor size ?
any tips on checking it out ,what to look for

crf250xtom
02-13-2014, 04:30 PM
looking at buying a like new second hand auger from a guy at work .
All i know so far is that it has drill less than 20 hole and it is a 8 ''. Are there any models to stay away from , like certain year or motor size ?
any tips on checking it out ,what to look for

I'd stay away from Jiffy unless it's a really good deal seen nothing but problems with them.

The old ones were awesome the new ones have to many flaws to fork money over for them go Eskimo or ion if you only need an 8inch hole.

kargor
02-13-2014, 04:33 PM
I have a jiffy model 30 that has been going hard for almost 25 yrs , done nothing but change plugs, and sharpen/replace blades

pikergolf
02-13-2014, 04:34 PM
If it's a model 30, pay him quick and smile.

Bigdad013
02-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Had my jiffy now 3 seasons. Never a problem, always starts no matter how cold with one or two pulls, its a 8" can't remember the model but 30 comes to mind. It's the only one I've owned so can't really comment otherwise.

crf250xtom
02-13-2014, 04:36 PM
If it's a model 30, pay him quick and smile.

Not if it's a new version.

I would get an older model Jiffy or any other new brand.

Sooner
02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
I have a jiffy model 30 that has been going hard for almost 25 yrs , done nothing but change plugs, and sharpen/replace blades

Mine is creeping 20 years old, runs great still. Same here, change the plug every couple years and I keep a file in the tackle box to touch up the blade. Sat all last spring and summer until yesterday. Pulled it out of the shed and it started on the 4th pull.

binnzer32
02-13-2014, 04:53 PM
All new ones r scrap metal aside from tanaka with nilsmaster and husqvarna

depolloc
02-13-2014, 06:06 PM
4 years now...no problem with my jiffy

binnzer32
02-13-2014, 06:55 PM
I think my jiffy lasted 4-5 years before seized
All depends how much you fish, how you treat your stuff etc. It was my fault. A pain to start but it ripped holes good.

Northwinds
02-13-2014, 08:05 PM
I got my first and last jiffy for xmas 4 years ago,,, it wouldn't run and it wouldn't cut.Had it repaired and it came back just in time for summer,no ice so it sat over summer.The next winter it wouldn't start.Sent it to a repair shop again for another carb ,got it running and it still wouldn't cut. Replaced the blades and it still wouldn't cut.Got a Eskimo and never looked back.
They should make the jiffy auger toss a olympic event,as mad as I was,I chucked that piece of garbage quite a ways across the ice. I'm sure a gold metal would have been awarded for that toss. Didn't cure the problem but it sure felt good.....anybody want to buy a used and Abused Jiffy ?

Adwittoutdoors
02-14-2014, 12:55 AM
Hey folks. I have a Jiffy model 31. It's around 18 years old , barely been used. I just got it back from my brother who never used it. Got it tuned up. First use is this weekend. Anyone have this model ? Comments........

buckman
02-14-2014, 05:59 AM
I am looking for an old model 30 for parts anyone have one for a good price,working or not just want it for spares.

Thanks.

The older mod 30 was a great auger,not so much the new ones.

binnzer32
02-14-2014, 06:45 AM
I got a jiffy 3500 series sdi60 for parts...

niwrek
02-14-2014, 05:17 PM
I bought a new jiffy 3 years ago .....runs great ....new pull cord a time or two.

morgan
02-14-2014, 05:33 PM
I have a Jiffy Stealth STX, bought it new in 2006, been great.
The only issue was that it says to mix the gas 24:1 on the gas tank, so initially it was a pig to start, and smokey. So I started to run my 50:1 dirtbike race gas, with the Motul 2 stroke oil, and ever since it starts like a dream and rips 10" holes like a champ. No issues with the leaner mix, and haven't even changed the spark plug. I ice fish around 20 days a year, and average over ten holes a trip. I know thats not a pile of use, but it will blow the doors off my buddies Eskimo with the 8" screw.
Funny that we will race anything, even an ice auger!

BlackHeart
02-14-2014, 07:28 PM
I have a Jiffy Stealth STX, bought it new in 2006, been great.
The only issue was that it says to mix the gas 24:1 on the gas tank, so initially it was a pig to start, and smokey. So I started to run my 50:1 dirtbike race gas, with the Motul 2 stroke oil, and ever since it starts like a dream and rips 10" holes like a champ. No issues with the leaner mix, and haven't even changed the spark plug. I ice fish around 20 days a year, and average over ten holes a trip. I know thats not a pile of use, but it will blow the doors off my buddies Eskimo with the 8" screw.
Funny that we will race anything, even an ice auger!

Exactly the same auger, age, and use. I'm still on my first spark plug....but I got one in my tackle ready to change. Haven't even changed or sharpened the blades (I watch how it's used carefully....no point in drilling mud or banging around against gear).....and don't want to mess with what's working so well.

A big killer of augers is improper storage or abuse.

madatter
02-14-2014, 08:41 PM
All new ones r scrap metal aside from tanaka with nilsmaster and husqvarna

X2
My Eskimo has been iffy at best...lots of plastic

morgan
02-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Exactly the same auger, age, and use. I'm still on my first spark plug....but I got one in my tackle ready to change. Haven't even changed or sharpened the blades (I watch how it's used carefully....no point in drilling mud or banging around against gear).....and don't want to mess with what's working so well.

A big killer of augers is improper storage or abuse.

Same for me, original blades. I am a little bit anal about using the blade guard. It's always on, except for when the auger is being used.
Couldn't agree more, poor storage, running last years gas, low end pre-mix oil from crap tire or wal-mart, are all things that will make your auger a piece of garbage.

Gunfighter
02-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Hey folks. I have a Jiffy model 31. It's around 18 years old , barely been used. I just got it back from my brother who never used it. Got it tuned up. First use is this weekend. Anyone have this model ? Comments........

Up I have the same machine cuts like crazy, starts every time with two pulls

Pipque
02-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Jiffy Stealth STX 9". Always starts and have never had an issue. Only issue with mine is the 9" blades can be harder to come buy than the 8" or 10".