PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy Auger Help

tbiddy
02-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Just wondering if you guys had some input on what I would need to do to get my auger running.

My dad passed in July and I took his Jiffy Auger last time I was at the house. It was bought in 2006 or 2007 and probably only drilled a couple dozen or so holes. The fuel was drained and has sat for probably the last 5 or 6 years. I have no clue how these things work as I never really ran it. This is the model (http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/ContentImages/Image/Jiffy30SeriesManual.pdf).

I mixed the fuel 50:1 with a 2 stroke oil from Canadian Tire and premium fuel. I did what it said on the auger to get it running:

1. Turn it on
2. Move choke to all the way to the right
3. Primed it about 5 times
4. Pull starter cord about 200 times

Is there anything else I need to do to get it running? Did I mix the fuel wrong? Worse case I'll take to a small engine repair shop if needed.

AppleJax
02-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Have you checked for spark? Should still fire even if you didn't get the mix ratio correct.

tbiddy
02-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Have you checked for spark? Should still fire even if you didn't get the mix ratio correct.

No that is on the list. Just visually looking at it, the plug looks clean and newer but I will check to see if there is spark.

fish gunner
02-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Where are ya at . Some one should be close by to lend a hand . Diaphrams in the fuel pump can dry out unless its cold out 1/2 choke should work .

Big Red 250
02-13-2014, 05:42 PM
DID you open that little screw thingy on the gas cap. Maybe prime it 10 times.

mooseknuckle
02-13-2014, 05:45 PM
"Pull cord 200 times" there's your problem you have to pull it 472 times.

tbiddy
02-13-2014, 05:49 PM
DID you open that little screw thingy on the gas cap. Maybe prime it 10 times.
Tried it both opened and closed. But will try priming it more.

"Pull cord 200 times" there's your problem you have to pull it 472 times.
Damn, I thought 200 was enough. 472 next time.

The Reel Deal
02-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Pull the spark plug out, put a couple drops of fuel in the cylinder, reinstall and try to start it. If it fires, you got a problem with the fuel delivery.

If it sat for a long time the bowl on the carb could be gummed up. Take it off, clean it and put it back on, prime it a bunch and start pulling.

Repeating step one a few times has worked for me countless times.

The Reel Deal
02-13-2014, 05:53 PM
If u are in Calgary I will look at it

ghostguy6
02-13-2014, 06:02 PM
First off the pdf you posted says use a 40:1 fuel mixture, not a 50:1. This could cause damage to your auger. If the auger sat dry for 5 or 6 years the carburetor is probably gummed up and the diaphragm is dried up. I just looked at my bottle of Mastercraft 2 stoke oil and it does not contain any fuel stabilizers in it. This is fine but when you put it away for the season, run it out of gas and put some fresh gas containing fuel stabilizer in the auger. Then run the auger for a few minutes and then put it away leaving some gas in the carb to prevent the diaphragm from drying out .
Are you getting a spark and compression?

If you post your location there is probably someone on here willing to take a look at it for you.

tbiddy
02-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I am near Lloydminster. I haven't checked for spark. I will try that tomorrow. Should I drain what fuel is in it and do a different oil/fuel mix? I used a small bottle of Mastercraft 2 stroke oil that said to mix it with 4.9L of fuel for a 50:1 mix, so that is why I thought it had to be 50:1. The manual I found online says 40:1 and the sticker on the auger is saying 24:1. If I need to mix some new fuel, should it be premium?

ghostguy6
02-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Definitely remix your gas if the ratio is 24:1, its the oil mixed in the gas that provides the lubrication for the piston rings. Without the proper amount of oil the engine will seize and most likely will be a write off. Most small engines I have seen recommend using higher octane gasoline but regular should work if that is all you have. For some reason my chainsaw runs better on regular than premium so its really a matter of preference.

Does it seem like you engine is flooding after a few attempts to start it?

The Reel Deal
02-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Regular is all you need. Premium is for high compression engines to eliminate detonation (premium burns slower) so it isn't uncommon for people to feel that their engines don't run as good if the engine doesn't call for it. Premium isn't a better fuel, and does not make engines run better or give you more power as most will argue.

Check for spark. You can do this by pulling the plug and connecting the ignition wire to it, then rest the metal part of the plug to the block of the engine and pull the cord to turn the engine over. You should see the spark jump the gap. Clean the gap with fine sand paper while you're at it.

But I can put money on the fuel in the carb being dirty. Index the bowl to the carb with a marker and clean the bowl and then reinstall the bowl to the marks.

walleyeking!
02-13-2014, 08:17 PM
I just bought a used jiffy and was having trouble getting it to stay running, a buddy showed me how he got his to run and stay running. Try this, no choke prime it 8-10 times, hold the throttle wide open and pull, once it tries to start give it a few more pumps on the primer and it will fire right away. keep giving it a bit of throttle when it starts to keep it idling. Hope it works for you, I was surprised that this method would work but it did.

fish gunner
02-13-2014, 08:25 PM
I just bought a used jiffy and was having trouble getting it to stay running, a buddy showed me how he got his to run and stay running. Try this, no choke prime it 8-10 times, hold the throttle wide open and pull, once it tries to start give it a few more pumps on the primer and it will fire right away. keep giving it a bit of throttle when it starts to keep it idling. Hope it works for you, I was surprised that this method would work but it did.

This is a diaphragm or a weak spark issue . With choke on 3-5 pumps of the prime should be sufficient. Other possibility fuel line leak .

chocdogs
02-13-2014, 08:56 PM
I have used my jiffy for 13 years and finally had to break down and put a carb kit in it. A couple of years ago I forgot to drain the fuel out of it and when I went to start it the next year it wouldn't start. I ended up taking the carb apart and cleaning it. It worked but not great, ended up spending more time tuning than running. Pull the carb clean it put in the carb kit. While doing this I also took the tank off cleaned it out and replaced the fuel hose. The hose seemed to leave small little pieces when I removed it from the tank so just being a little cautious. In the end it runs like a top for about a little more than 1 hours work. Make sure you tune it when it is cold or you will be tuningit again. My jiffy also says that it is 24:1 however all the research I have done I am running it at 40:1 now. I have read that some guys are running it 100:1 using synthetic but I am not sure I am that adventurous.
Hope this helps

pikester
02-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Yup, I've put 2 carb kits in mine in last 5 years (one due to my negligence) but that along with a new plug usually cures all. I know some guys love tinkering & trouble shooting to avoid replacing unnecessary parts but really a carb kit for Tecumseh 3hp (older Model 30), & a new plug will set you back @ $40-$50. To me that's a small cost really for a good running auger that you didn't pay for in the first place!

As far as the fuel/oil mix, I spoke to a Jiffy tech who told me the 24:1 listed in the manuals is for a break in period like maybe the first whole ice season, then you can run at 40:1 after that. I've been running mine at 40:1 for 4years now & hasn't seemed to hurt it but that's just my experience. Running 24:1 isn't gonna hurt it anyway it'll just smoke a little more & you might have to watch for build-up & gumming in the carb & spark plugs.

tbiddy
02-14-2014, 08:48 AM
So I got the auger to run for a couple seconds. Primed it about 10 times and after a couple pulls it fired up but only ran for a few seconds and died. Primed it again, ran for a couple seconds and died. Now I think its flooded.

I am thinking a carb kit is in order or a drop off at a small engine place. Also, a stupid question, but if I mixed 50:1 do I add some more oil to get it to 40:1 or just start over?

dodgeboy1979
02-14-2014, 08:52 AM
if you are around Lloyd bring it by my place tonight and i will take a look at it. Might just need to take some carb cleaner to it to free everything up a bit. PM me if you want to bring it by.

dodgeboy1979
02-14-2014, 08:55 AM
best is to pour the mix in you truck gas tank and remix a new batch. Just buy the little jiffy 2 stoke oil container as it is premeasured for 1 gal of gas

Mike_W
02-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Prime it and give it gas. Make sure valve is open ....add some seafoam or carb cleaner ....for the future use a higher quality oil with a stabilizer.
Also make sure you use premium fuel ethanol free.

The Reel Deal
02-14-2014, 07:45 PM
clean that bowl, and keep going! you're almost there!

when you think its flooded, open the choke and start pulling with no throttle

Kim473
02-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Prime it and give it gas. Make sure valve is open ....add some seafoam or carb cleaner ....for the future use a higher quality oil with a stabilizer.
Also make sure you use premium fuel ethanol free.

X2
Seafoam, 40:1 fuel ratio, pull and start, repeat. The sea foam should clean what ever up after you get it started. The fuel filter in the tank is probably gumed up and the seafoam will clear that up. Check for a pinched fuel line or maybe even a broken dried up one that is letting air in, instead of fuel.
I always use premium Shell fuel in all my toys. Truck gets reg.
Reg = 89 octane
prem = 92 octane
Aviation winter fuel = 110 octane
My sled gets a mixture of aviation and reg, half and half when ever I can
= about 100 octane
Improves approx 10% hp. Cold plugs though as don't want to burn a piston out. Also add a tiny bit more oil to the sled fuel to run at 40:1 rather than 50:1