PDA

View Full Version : Online Copyright Infringement: Application of New Canadian Law

BeeGuy
02-13-2014, 10:35 PM
It has begun!

Recently received an email from my ISP as per Warner Bros. request.

I downloaded, "Grudge Match" starring a washed up Stallone and De Niro.

First off, the movie is terrible, but this is beside the point.

Secondly, we can now expect legal action by media companies.

So, safe internetting out there folks. Take precautions and make sure your internet connection/router is secure.

CaberTosser
02-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Plausible deniability: "My neighbor must have been accessing my unsecured wireless network"

Kurt505
02-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Welcome back.

5Lgreenback
02-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Yeah I've received the same email, for a different movie thankfully.

From what I understand its just threats and your provider won't give out your information (yet) as its still legal to download in Canada.

Sneeze
02-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Not sure why folks think stealing is acceptable if you cant see the victim.

Somebody has invested a great deal of time and money into the movies you are stealing.

pickrel pat
02-13-2014, 11:01 PM

Somebody has invested a great deal of time and money into the movies you are stealing.

Is it stealing if its legal in Canada as the poster above you states? Oh....and hi Bee.:)

fish gunner
02-13-2014, 11:03 PM

We dont bend to corporate greed quite so far. Copy for profit is stealing watching at home free as a bird :sHa_shakeshout:

zero
02-13-2014, 11:03 PM
use a private torrent tracker guys... I have over 15TB data transfer in the last year on my torrent sites, no letters, because its private/secure, over 7 years torrenting

Sneeze
02-14-2014, 07:46 AM
We dont bend to corporate greed quite so far. Copy for profit is stealing watching at home free as a bird :sHa_shakeshout:

I love Margaret Thatcher. Best thing to ever happen to the UK.

She would have told you that what you just said makes no sense.

So I can steal your truck and thats perfectly acceptable as long as I only use it for Sunday cruises?

oyster_777
02-14-2014, 07:56 AM

The the same argument hold true for library books?

Stinky Buffalo
02-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Hmmm. Yet we pay an obscene surcharge on blank CD purchases because they assume that we're going to pirate the content that we intend to burn on them... Grrrr.

Donkey Oatey
02-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Hmmm. Yet we pay an obscene surcharge on blank CD purchases because they assume that we're going to pirate the content that we intend to burn on them... Grrrr.

And hence why it is legal to burn music to CD etc. At one time the record industry was crying the woes of cassette tapes and VCRs because they weren't getting their cut even tho on each blank tape/CD there is a surcharge that goes back to the music/tv industry. They lost that court case. It is illegal to download movies and such, music not so much other than this new legislation would put it in the realm of being illegal.

Someone mentioned stealing a truck, but only using it on Sunday's. How about I scan your truck, use a 3D printer and print my own? You still have yours, I have mine. What has been stolen?

I can buy a book. I can give that book to whom ever I want. I can sell that book to whom ever I want. Can't legally download and watch a TV show I missed, but can DVR it.

I have recieved letters of warning from Telus in the past for downloading, nothing has come of it. I don't stream PPV or anything like that. I kinda get where they are coming from but the industry itself doesn't know how to evolve. Look at music, they evolved to permit online purchasing of a product as soon as it has come out. Look how popular iTunes is. I really think that the movie/tv industry needs to catch up.

Okotokian
02-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Is it stealing if its legal in Canada as the poster above you states? Oh....and hi Bee.:)

Where does it say downloading or copying copyrighted material is legal in Canada?

Okotokian
02-14-2014, 09:22 AM

Soooooo, if you shoplifted, intending to resell the items, that would be bad. But if you were just planning to use them yourself at home that would be fine. ;)

Redfrog
02-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Soooooo, if you shoplifted, intending to resell the items, that would be bad. But if you were just planning to use them yourself at home that would be fine. ;)

I'll try to figure that out later.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what kind of genius steals a crappy movie.:thinking-006:

BeeGuy
02-14-2014, 10:01 AM

Right now I'm trying to figure out what kind of genius steals a crappy movie.:thinking-006:

Normally I have to actually watch a movie, or at least part of it to know whether I will enjoy it.

In the past I have prayed for divine intervention in case I was choosing a bad movie, but by the lack of response I have had to assume I am out of favour.

Hold the phone, I just realized you're trolling my thread. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzRsAHoBkXQ)

Nova
02-14-2014, 10:04 AM
I have recieved letters of warning from Telus in the past for downloading, nothing has come of it. I don't stream PPV or anything like that. I kinda get where they are coming from but the industry itself doesn't know how to evolve. Look at music, they evolved to permit online purchasing of a product as soon as it has come out. Look how popular iTunes is. I really think that the movie/tv industry needs to catch up.

Big time! The technology exists, yet the way television stations are bundled is beyond absurd. I dropped my cable because it was absolutely useless unless I was home to watch what I wanted to watch. Gotta buy the base package and digital package to get a certain few channels in HD. Gotta buy a set of theme packs to get the one channel in the provider's lineup that plays some of the popular current shows. Can't PVR certain channels. Just a cash grab through and through. $100+ a month and I still found myself relying heavily on torrents. Might have been able to spend another $50 a month to cut my torrenting down a bit. Paying in the area of 2 grand a year to get a decent selection of cable kind of makes the idea of maybe getting hit with a $5k fine once in a lifetime seem kind of insignificant. In the meantime, I figure I'm just not supporting any of hollywood's addictions. The last thing I want is to be mowed down by a drunk and high Lindsay Lohan.

Redfrog
02-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Okey, Dokey, Okie I can work on your riddle now. It only took a half hour to get an answer to my question.:)

Apparently, from what I see, you are hot on the right track.

greylynx
02-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Beeguy:

Dooes that mean you ane going to jail?

Don't worry, Me and Gus will visit you and bring fly tying materials.:)

I can borrow a couple of hives from my neighbor for you if you want some excitement in the big house.

Say, Why not claim you were using the movie for research purposes by which you would give a full academic citatation if you made any reference to it.:)

NEWB
02-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Beeguy:

I can borrow a couple of hives from my neighbor for you if you want some excitement in the big house.

Say, Why not claim you were using the movie for research purposes by which you would give a full academic citatation if you made any reference to it.:)

I'll bring Bee a few movies that I just recenetly downloaded to pass the time.

Ken07AOVette
02-14-2014, 10:36 AM
And, the movie sucked? Don't even bother to watch it?

Is it like some other movie from years ago, the huge buildup to the fight that never happens?

BeeGuy
02-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Beeguy:

No, I'm good. I just emailed Mel Blanc and said it was RF using my internet for nefarious purposes, so I should be good. Mel didn't respond so I assume we're cool.

greylynx
02-14-2014, 10:48 AM
No, I'm good. I just emailed Mel Blanc and said it was RF using my internet for nefarious purposes, so I should be good. Mel didn't respond so I assume we're cool.

Maybe not.

I do not know which Oscar winning rabbit you were talking to but Mel has not been around for quite a while.

http://one_foggy.tripod.com/blancobit.html

1000yards
02-14-2014, 10:52 AM
From my understanding, nothing wrong with downloading, just seeding!
uploading copyright material is illegal in canada,
So either use a proxy set up ( thank you europe)
Or set your speed to 0kb/s limit, and then they can't check to verify a piece.
They get all hot and heavy this time of year, due to the award leak copy,
I personally think its Ellen Degeneres that is sending out most of the movies.

Stinky Buffalo
02-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Big time! The technology exists, yet the way television stations are bundled is beyond absurd. I dropped my cable because it was absolutely useless unless I was home to watch what I wanted to watch.

Yeah, went the same way here too - got tired of flipping through all the junk. Now we are using an OTA setup for news, and use Netflix/Youtube for pretty well everything else.

Do we find we're missing out on a few shows that we used to enjoy watching? Sure. But turns out, after a few weeks, we really don't miss them that much anymore.

Plus, I don't have that much time to waste watching TV, what with kids to raise, guns to clean, bows to sight in, fish to catch...

...oh, and keeping up with what's new on AO, natch. :D

AdverseCity
02-14-2014, 01:31 PM
You typically only get a notice from your ISP if you're uploading/seeding a screener copy of a new movie before or while in theaters. It'll have SCR or something in the title and ususlly a watermark or warning that pops up from time to time. Wait until it's released on DVD and someone uploads the DVDRIP, movie companies seem to not care once the box office has cashed in.

zero
02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
youll get a letter if you are using a public source, dont use public torrent trackers.

FCLightning
02-14-2014, 02:26 PM
The the same argument hold true for library books?

You steal library books?

Sundancefisher
02-14-2014, 02:45 PM

Gotta say I agree with you Sneeze.

Many people feel abused if the neighbor parks slightly in front of their house they click on the computer and steal movies and songs.

I hope the catch people. I have been very strict with my kids. We don't steal period.

That being said... I found out a few months back that my cable router was a wireless router with a password...but the kids had put another router up that was not needed and we had not password protected it. Therefore a few lucky neighbors had free wifi for a year.:sign0161:

Sundancefisher
02-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Beeguy:

and Bee...when the guy in the shower asks if you like to flyfish...RUN!

1000yards
02-14-2014, 04:39 PM
it isnt that I have stopped buying dvd's
its that i have stopped getting up to put them in to the dvd player.
instead I just search for the title, and remote d/l from my phone,
get an alert 6 minutes later when its finished,
then stream it over my wifi to my tv..

oh my
:(

Evilsports
02-15-2014, 02:57 PM
What if my neighbor invites me over to watch a PPV, or maybe I borrow a dvd from my in-laws? Am I a criminal too?

Davey Boy
02-15-2014, 03:22 PM
What about everyone who used to record with their VCR or tape recorder. That was supposedly illegal too and I'd bet that most people did it.

The law hasn't been passed yet, you can download, just don't upload.

DiabeticKripple
02-15-2014, 03:43 PM
just dont seed.

my brother seeded a movie for a week and we got an email, since then nothing since once the movie uploads in utorrent i delete it.

rem338win
02-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I guess it would be a stretch to expect this crowd to understand what copyright, trademark, or even intellectual property would mean.
Pay the piper and we won't have a bunch of ridiculous laws enacted to stop it and infringe on rights.....or keep being the same and gain more to whine about later. Your choice.

Grizzly Adams
02-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I guess it would be a stretch to expect this crowd to understand what copyright, trademark, or even intellectual property would mean.
Pay the piper and we won't have a bunch of ridiculous laws enacted to stop it and infringe on rights.....or keep being the same and gain more to whine about later. Your choice.

Next time I have to go to court for speeding, I'm going to claim the limit signs were copyrighted and legally I couldn't read them , since no royalty was paid. . :D

Grizz

takkotime
02-15-2014, 08:33 PM
If you don't seed or 'give back' your torrent experience will be short lived as most sites will weed out leachers pretty quickly... also the emails are nothing new, been getting them for almost 10 years now. Don't worry about it.

GreenCanada
02-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Hmm... Stealing would imply that it is illegal, which it isn't...

A previous poster mentioned something comparing stealing a truck to legally downloading a movie. That reminds me of going to the theatre and seeing the ad saying "you wouldn't download a car, so don't download movies"

Hmm... with the advent of 3d printers, you actually can download a car now. In fact you can download a Porche, Honda, etc. Pick your poison! :sHa_shakeshout:

https://torrentfreak.com/porsche-proves-mpaa-wrong-wants-you-to-download-a-car-131217/
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/the-frontline-blog/2326278/honda-invites-you-to-3d-print-its-cars

Sundancefisher
02-16-2014, 08:54 AM
What if my neighbor invites me over to watch a PPV, or maybe I borrow a dvd from my in-laws? Am I a criminal too?

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/

Look it up. Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse.

Evilsports
02-16-2014, 09:34 AM
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-42/

Look it up. Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse.

I think I'll just take my chances on this one. If somebody wants to arrest me for watching a PPV at a friends place, fill your boots. :sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
02-16-2014, 10:53 AM
I think I'll just take my chances on this one. If somebody wants to arrest me for watching a PPV at a friends place, fill your boots. :sHa_shakeshout:

Sounds like you don't understand the law?

You can buy a cd and copy it to your iPod. You can buy a movie and copy it to your iPod.

You can't take a movie and share it with others, charge people to watch it, post online etc.

Rules are common sense and all are fair.

If you steal a movie... I would hope someone fines you.

There is a list of movie thiefs and eventually they will have a thief charged. They are starting with the worst offenders. Building up case law to make fighting it all but impossible.

If you shop lift... eventually you get caught. Same goes with illegal downloads.

Watching a pay per view at a buddy's house is obviously legal...unless he is stealing the signal.