PDA

View Full Version : cheap fluorocarbon leader??? for pike

Brandonkop
02-14-2014, 11:21 AM
So you guys were disagreeing that 80 pound flouro carbon leader was expensive. Where are you getting your cheap flouro cause just what I thought it is expensive here. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Mobile%20Uploads/20140214_101342.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140214_101342.jpg.html)

Chief16
02-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Have you looked at p-line? I'm not sure about 80lb but it's very reasonable for what I got in 8 and 20 pound

huntsfurfish
02-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Bass Pro, Cabelas both have fluoro leader material for a lot cheaper than that:).

huntsfurfish
02-14-2014, 12:03 PM
that must be for 50 or 100 yd.

price for 25 yd is about $40.00. But watch for sales on it at BP and Cabelas, can be bought for cheaper. Plus store brands are also less expensive such as BP offshore brand(they work fine). Most in store brands are made by Name brands anyway.

Boots270
02-14-2014, 12:11 PM
I just get a few yards from the general spools at the local fishing store.
And they don't usually charge anything for say 10yds.
Most stores have 20lb or heavier on their stock spools.
That's how I did it when pike fishing.

Free is better than cheap haha

FishHunterPro
02-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Man that's big bucks. I think I pay about $45 for 50yrd of 60lb.

Brandonkop
02-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Yeah I found some offshore 80 pound four foot leader sections for a lot less hope it is still strong. This is bass pro shop I was at.

The Reel Deal
02-14-2014, 12:32 PM
That's a pic of a 50 yard spool. Your gonna tie a lot of leaders with that!

CanadianBadass
02-14-2014, 12:35 PM
I use Nylostrand from TFH and it is Cheep, but way better then Fluro, And I only use 30 lb !

AppleJax
02-14-2014, 01:03 PM
I use Nylostrand from TFH and it is Cheep, but way better then Fluro, And I only use 30 lb !

Is it transparent?

Jamie Black R/T
02-14-2014, 01:05 PM
That's a pic of a 50 yard spool. Your gonna tie a lot of leaders with that!

x2...everyone's mileage will vary....but that 100 bucks would probably last me five to ten years

Mark
02-14-2014, 01:22 PM
I went to WWS and got 80LBS from the bulk reels. REAL CHEAP or at least I thought so.

neekrivers
02-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Don't the pike bite off the clear fluorocarbon leader? They did to me anyway :sign0161:

wouldn't wire leader be the way to go when fishing for pike?

Billy2017
02-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Thats 75 leaders worth of floro (I make mine 24") so thats like $2/leader (with swivels and snap rings) which compared to store made leaders isnt that bad.

Kokanee9
02-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Don't get it there.

Get this instead. Grab a couple in different strengths. 25 yd rolls, instead of 50. By time you get to the end of a 50 yd roll, do you really want to use it? How old would it be?

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=27553

Kokanee9
02-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Or this stuff.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=27107

Boots270
02-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Don't the pike bite off the clear fluorocarbon leader? They did to me anyway :sign0161:

Wire leaders are a pain.
Great until you catch one fish.
Then its a twirly mess. Especially painful if fly fishing.

Jamie Black R/T
02-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Don't the pike bite off the clear fluorocarbon leader?

not if you buy abrasion resistant leader material of the appropriate diameter.

fluorocarbon line tied as a leader is not the same.

cube
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Bass Pro, Cabelas both have fluoro leader material for a lot cheaper than that:).

I was at Cabelas here in Edmonton 2 days ago and they have no heavy flouro leader material at all.

cube
02-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Wire leaders are a pain.
Great until you catch one fish.
Then its a twirly mess. Especially painful if fly fishing.

That's why I mainly use titanium for pike. Had 2 large pike go though my 80 lb flouro LEADER MATERIAL like butter so now mostly just use titanium. I do still use the flouro some times but so far have not found the catch rates to be any better.

Of course I have not tried Seagaur of some the the ultra expensive ones yet.

cube
02-14-2014, 03:07 PM

Me to

neekrivers
02-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Boots - I can see for fly fishing you would want something a little more smoother, and yes after a fish or 2 the wire ones are tangled mess but I would rather that than dealing with the pike biting it off.

Jaime Black R/T - I have the stuff from the fishing hole and I believe it to be abrasion resistant, I tied barrel swivel at top and snap at bottom an he bit right through it - guess maybe he got lucky when it hit.

Cube - I will have to try out the titanium ones see how that goes.

thanks for the input everyone

Hunter Trav
02-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Jaime Black R/T - I have the stuff from the fishing hole and I believe it to be abrasion resistant, I tied barrel swivel at top and snap at bottom an he bit right through it - guess maybe he got lucky when it hit.

You sure it was a bite off and not your knot that slipped?? I use 100lb stuff on my quick strike rigs, and only change them out at the beginning of each season and I have never had one break. They feel like sandpaper by the time the season is done too...

EZM
02-14-2014, 03:59 PM

Because you are probably using fluorocarbon line not actual fluorocarbon leader material.

They are unable to bite through it - I've landed hundreds of pike - many over 15lbs-20lbs using the same leader. Not so much as a knick.

There is a BIG difference between fluorocarbon line and fluorocarbon leader.

My guess is you bought the wrong stuff.

EZM
02-14-2014, 04:05 PM
So you guys were disagreeing that 80 pound flouro carbon leader was expensive. Where are you getting your cheap flouro cause just what I thought it is expensive here. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Mobile%20Uploads/20140214_101342.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140214_101342.jpg.html)

My guess is many guys are buying the wrong stuff - your picture shows a 50yd, for $100 or so - working out to $2 per yard or so.

The 25 yard rolls here, are at least $45 - so almost the same money.

On sale I've seen it as cheap as $1.20/yard - but that was on clearance.

$2 a yard is about right.

This material is nothing like fluorocarbon line at all - it is less supple, stiffer and has an abrasion resistance coating by chemical process, hardening the surface, that makes it suitable as bite proof leader material.

1bluZebec
02-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Because you are probably using fluorocarbon line not actual fluorocarbon leader material.

They are unable to bite through it - I've landed hundreds of pike - many over 15lbs-20lbs using the same leader. Not so much as a knick.

There is a BIG difference between fluorocarbon line and fluorocarbon leader.

My guess is you bought the wrong stuff.

x2 I learned the same way:)

Geezle
02-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Don't get it there.

Get this instead. Grab a couple in different strengths. 25 yd rolls, instead of 50. By time you get to the end of a 50 yd roll, do you really want to use it? How old would it be?

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=27553

This is the stuff I use.

I use 50lb for larger pike, and drop down to 20lb or 30lb for walley/smaller pike. I've never been bitten off, but I did have a couple crimps fail, so now I tie them all.

Jamie Black R/T
02-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Had 2 large pike go though my 80 lb flouro LEADER MATERIAL like butter

possible that leader you used was really old?

80lb leader material can stand up to big pike all day long. I rarely use anything bigger than 50lb with zero issues.

Brandonkop
02-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Ok, well I got my 80 lb flourocarbon rigs all tied up and ready to hit the ice. Thanks for all the advice. We'll see how they perform against my 130lb mono leaders.

neekrivers
02-14-2014, 07:00 PM
You sure it was a bite off and not your knot that slipped?? I use 100lb stuff on my quick strike rigs, and only change them out at the beginning of each season and I have never had one break. They feel like sandpaper by the time the season is done too...

it was broke in the middle, must have had a cut or something that I never noticed before.....I just checked the brand and its Berkley ProSpec 100% Fluorocarbon leader material 25lb I'll have to give it another try

BLD
02-14-2014, 07:21 PM
I use Pline CFX 40# fluorocarbon leader and have never had a problem, nice thing about the leader material is that any nicks on the line appear very well on your camera.

Hunter Trav
02-14-2014, 07:42 PM
it was broke in the middle, must have had a cut or something that I never noticed before.....I just checked the brand and its Berkley ProSpec 100% Fluorocarbon leader material 25lb I'll have to give it another try

I have a spool of that stuff, and I had the same problem with it this summer. I was using it for spinner rigs. It could be that its not heavy enough, or it could be the pro spec is just crap. I have had zero issues with the spool of 100lb Vanish stuff I use for my quick strikes...

Deano85
02-14-2014, 08:44 PM
http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/wires/flurocarbon_leader_material.htm

huntsfurfish
02-14-2014, 09:09 PM
I was at Cabelas here in Edmonton 2 days ago and they have no heavy flouro leader material at all.

I order from Bass Pro/Cabelas. Havent checked the store.:) Buy when on sale and/or free shipping too.

huntsfurfish
02-14-2014, 09:16 PM

Go to a heavier line and you should be fine(although I have not tried Berkley ProSpect). Most go 60-80 pound, some go a little lighter some heavier.

Secret coulee
02-14-2014, 10:03 PM
50lb seaguar floral leader material.thats we're the conversation ends.i don't care how many you catch within reason(a lot) or how big they are,a pike is not going to bite you off.

Brandonkop
02-14-2014, 10:37 PM

Yeah 25 lb is not enough. Learned that the hard way this fall has a couple big pike break my 30 lb Seagar leaders. Lost 15 dollar lures and big pike :( Going heavier now.

chriscosta
02-15-2014, 11:55 AM
50lb seaguar floral leader material.thats we're the conversation ends.i don't care how many you catch within reason(a lot) or how big they are,a pike is not going to bite you off.

Bold statement but completely true i had some seagaur leaders and they never even looked banged up after a season of pike fishing ... this is the only stuff ive tried but its solid...

CanadianBadass
02-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Is it transparent?

Nope, But when you compare the thickness of 80lb Fluro to the Thickness of Nylostrand , ITs less then half the thickness, I cant see it as easy as fluro !

dodger
02-15-2014, 02:52 PM
This is the stuff I use.

I use 50lb for larger pike, and drop down to 20lb or 30lb for walley/smaller pike. I've never been bitten off, but I did have a couple crimps fail, so now I tie them all.

None of this fluoro thread makes sense to me? The lakes I fish in have Walleye and big Pike, so what leader wt would you use? The other comment about the $100.00 spool would last 5 years worth of leaders for another member makes no sense to me again? Here's why - I just threw out a $19.00 titanium leader that has lasted me 5 years. The only reason I turfed it was because the clasp wore out. I have caught Walleye in 5' -30' of water with it. I have caught 100's upon 100's of Pike with it.

The idea about the fluoro being clear is for ??? Can't be for Walleye as it's not a factor for me. Can't be for Pike as they don't care if your using nylon rope as they will still bite. I just do not see why take a chance on the fluoro snapping when there is a product ( titanium ) that has no issues?

My $0.05 worth.
Dodger.

Secret coulee
02-15-2014, 10:12 PM
I'd say you have just anwserd your own question if you can catch that many fish on one leader.sounds to me like you have found the jewel of the Nile and why didn't you just put on a new clasp instead of throwing the leader material away and having all the questions in confusion to all the pros on this forum because your blowin all of us out of the water with these stats.as for floral I have caught many,many giant pike from 25-32lbs on the angling ice fishing grounds that a lot of numbers of anglers that fish the same waters,that never see sloughes over ten pounds,I don't now if these fish have become that smart from over angling and guys using 100pd chalk line,to much ice surface noise from augers at prime time,trucks,quads,sleds I'm not sure but there is a real science to catching big pike consistently and I sure ain't givin away what I have put into hard science over the last 20 years on this forum.
Moral of the story stick to what ever works the best for you,just don't loose sight on technology because it will surepass you.
Experience on results when it comes to poundage and the great rigs on top of location,nothing more satisfying.
Lol I run 36" floral leaders down ice not chalk line

cube
02-15-2014, 10:51 PM
possible that leader you used was really old?

80lb leader material can stand up to big pike all day long. I rarely use anything bigger than 50lb with zero issues.

The stuff was only a couple of weeks old at the time. Never was exposed to direct sun light, though that should not make a difference given Flouro is UV resistant. Cut right though just like butter.

BPman
02-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Try Bass Pro "Extreme" Florocarbon leader. It has been good for me in freshwater and saltwater. Not really expensive either. 25 yd spools from 8 lb to 100 lb.

dodger
02-16-2014, 03:01 PM
I'd say you have just anwserd your own question if you can catch that many fish on one leader.sounds to me like you have found the jewel of the Nile and why didn't you just put on a new clasp instead of throwing the leader material away and having all the questions in confusion to all the pros on this forum because your blowin all of us out of the water with these stats.as for floral I have caught many,many giant pike from 25-32lbs on the angling ice fishing grounds that a lot of numbers of anglers that fish the same waters,that never see sloughes over ten pounds,I don't now if these fish have become that smart from over angling and guys using 100pd chalk line,to much ice surface noise from augers at prime time,trucks,quads,sleds I'm not sure but there is a real science to catching big pike consistently and I sure ain't givin away what I have put into hard science over the last 20 years on this forum.
Moral of the story stick to what ever works the best for you,just don't loose sight on technology because it will surepass you.
Experience on results when it comes to poundage and the great rigs on top of location,nothing more satisfying.
Lol I run 36" floral leaders down ice not chalk line

Some valid points in your post. First off I do "very little" ice fishing and I could see that since most fish are semi-dormant and tend to eyeball the bait a clear leader could be beneficial. I do all of my fishing in the warmer months and all fish are more active so not sure if a clear leader is a factor?

About the technology surpassing me? I wanted to try the fluoro leaders but being a busy person I have gone to all of the major fishing suppliers in Calgary to purchase a "finished" product. No one sells a leader already made up? I would think if they were that advanced then some company would want to be the first out of the gate offering these. Again this is just my thoughts on the topic. The theory seems fantastic but is it really practical due to complaints of breaking line? Just throwing it out there for discussion not trying to raise a stink!

Dodger.

Secret coulee
02-16-2014, 04:17 PM
I totally understand we're you are coming from.just walk into bass pro on the north side of Calgary and I can assure you that there will be about 15 diffrent musky floral leaders that you can pick from ranging in poundage and price and manufacture.
The floral leader for open water musky is what the majority of musky anglers use.
Hope this helps out

dodger
02-16-2014, 06:51 PM
I totally understand we're you are coming from.just walk into bass pro on the north side of Calgary and I can assure you that there will be about 15 diffrent musky floral leaders that you can pick from ranging in poundage and price and manufacture.
The floral leader for open water musky is what the majority of musky anglers use.
Hope this helps out

I have not found any at BP but I never looked by the Musky gear. I did a search online at BP and they do have them. I may buy 1 and check it out???

Dodger.

EZM
02-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Dodger ........ here are my thoughts ....... (advantages over steel leaders)

1) Clear (less reason to reject your presentation)
2) Won't cut your hand (able to grab leader and release fish with pliers while still in water)
3) Won't cut your fish (death rolls on wire leaders cut fish up pretty bad sometimes)
4) Use any size swivels, swivel snaps, sizes, color, clasp type you want
5) Make it any size (length) you want
6) Supple (great with a jig head or small rapala)
7) Won't Kink or twist
8) Pike won't bite through it ( I use 40lb minimum - but use 40,60 and 80 depending on what I'm doing).

I love them ....... I will never use a steel leader again.

dodger
02-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Dodger ........ here are my thoughts ....... (advantages over steel leaders)

1) Clear (less reason to reject your presentation)
2) Won't cut your hand (able to grab leader and release fish with pliers while still in water)
3) Won't cut your fish (death rolls on wire leaders cut fish up pretty bad sometimes)
4) Use any size swivels, swivel snaps, sizes, color, clasp type you want
5) Make it any size (length) you want
6) Supple (great with a jig head or small rapala)
7) Won't Kink or twist
8) Pike won't bite through it ( I use 40lb minimum - but use 40,60 and 80 depending on what I'm doing).

I love them ....... I will never use a steel leader again.

Still not sure if all of this is valid? I do agree with the clear presentation for ice fishing but summer fishing not so much. Combine your comments from #4 and #5 and what would you suggest I use for fishing for Walleye and also catching a bunch of hammer handles while doing it in a lake that can produce +30/lb Pike? The titanium leader is short thin and does not kink and works for all of the above. I do catch Walleye so again clarity??

I just do not want to take a chance fishing with a product that could cost me if I happen to hook into a monster Pike. I think every member when fishing no matter how good the fishing is there is always that thought deep in the back of your mind wanting that monster ( insert species ) ___________ to latch on. No comments from anyone on a titanium leader failing! I also do not need to check for nicks during the day / season.
Dodger.

Brandonkop
02-16-2014, 07:50 PM
I think this calls for a Show Down! Steal vs Flourocarbon.....

To be continued....

dodger
02-16-2014, 07:52 PM
I think this calls for a Show Down! Steal vs Flourocarbon.....

To be continued....

Titanium vs Fluorocarbon. ;)

huntsfurfish
02-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Have used titanium leaders since they came out. When fish are biting in the summer and you are fishing horizontally(casting/trolling) they are awesome.

Winter time is vertical. Fish spend lots of time looking, fluoro leaders up your odds to fussy/educated fish.

And sometimes/:)mostimes fish don't care what you use. But it is an option.

Same walleye fishing, lots of times I tie my jigs direct to a superline when the bite is good. When it is tough, I go to fluorocarbon or very light mono.

EZM
02-17-2014, 12:10 AM
Still not sure if all of this is valid? I do agree with the clear presentation for ice fishing but summer fishing not so much. Combine your comments from #4 and #5 and what would you suggest I use for fishing for Walleye and also catching a bunch of hammer handles while doing it in a lake that can produce +30/lb Pike? The titanium leader is short thin and does not kink and works for all of the above. I do catch Walleye so again clarity??

I just do not want to take a chance fishing with a product that could cost me if I happen to hook into a monster Pike. I think every member when fishing no matter how good the fishing is there is always that thought deep in the back of your mind wanting that monster ( insert species ) ___________ to latch on. No comments from anyone on a titanium leader failing! I also do not need to check for nicks during the day / season.
Dodger.

Use what you like .... no big deal ..... but every point is 100% valid.

As far as your walleye question - use 40lb fluoro If there are giant monster pike in there - I do it all the time.

The rest of the time I do use a lighter weight line - but all fluoro is invisible under water. Compare a 40 lb fluoro versus a 8 lb mono under water and tell me which one you can see and which one you can't see.

I use them in a local lake that produces many 30+ pounders .....

The comments about fluorocarbon failing are likely due to using a test/diameter less than they should be. Or guys are using fluorocarbon line instead of hardened fluorocarbon leader material.

There is no way any pike bites through a heavy fluorocarbon leader material - it is stronger than a steel leader.

I don't care what you use - just giving my opinion and advice .... have at er' use a rope, stick and rock if you like.

As per your last comment about having to check your leader for knicks - every few fish and/or throughout the season ............... yeah that sucks ..... what a complete waste of 1.3 seconds a few times a year.

I understand titanium leaders text you or have a red blinking light when they get a burr or knick - so there is no need to test them or check for knicks I guess ..... lol.

You should always check your gear, your knots, your swivels and snaps, your leader, etc... regularly.

Like I said - I landed hundreds of pike on one leader - many were pretty big and there was zero evidence of knicks.

Either way - use what you want and use what you are comfortable and confident in. No big deal ....

Secret coulee
02-17-2014, 12:58 AM
X2 I'm not sure were the confusion comes into play here with some one that has never used floral leader material here,if people can not grasp the theory here on countless years on the water vea open water or hard water then it's time to take a step back and continue on with meatods that have not failed them,there is a reason why these musky pre fab leaders are worth 8-15$ a leader because they are the only go to leaders that stand up and have the edge over any other leader on the market today weather you buy them or build them.You can't have it three diffrent ways,tight lipped eyes,hammer Handel pike,or giant pike,rigg up for what you want to catch if your a serious trophy hunter or you want to go fishing to catch fish you can't do it all with one line or one leader.There is a ton of great facts and tips on this thread from experienced anglers on proven applications so you be the judge

EZM
02-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Agreed ..............

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/12/page/1/id/1075/name/SmitysFluorocarbonMuskyPikeLeaders

Get some or make some !!!!!!!!