PDA

View Full Version : Green Egg

gramps73
02-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Anyone have one and if so where'd you buy it.
Been reading about then and think it is time....
Thanks

Reeves1
02-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Ask round for anyone raising Araucana.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Araucana+Eggs+Colors&qpvt=Araucana+Eggs+Colors&FORM=IGRE

wwbirds
02-14-2014, 05:50 PM
ham!

gramps73
02-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Green egg smoker / Cooker

67ZL1
02-14-2014, 06:14 PM
BBQ Country in Edmonton sells them. I would imagine someone in Calgary carries the line as well.

grouse_hunter
02-14-2014, 06:18 PM
I've had the XL one for 4 years now. Had to replace the base because it developed a crack. Completely covered by warranty, so it didn't cost a buck. As for the grill itself - I like it, its quite versatile. I hot smoke on it, roast, grill and bake pizza using a stone.
Got it from BBQ country by the way.

Duramaximos
02-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks

BBQs Galore carries them.
I wanted one too but couldn't justify the cost so I ended up with The Big Steel Keg. Very same concept only made of double wall insulated steel instead of ceramic.

Either way you're in for a real treat! I have turned on my natural gas bbq a total of 4 times in the last 2 years since buying the big steel keg...

Pixel Shooter
02-14-2014, 06:57 PM
home hardware sells them as well

calgarychef
02-14-2014, 07:05 PM
I want one really badly but 1200 bucks for a toilet? I'm sure they must be made in the same plant as the toilets.

Mayhem42
02-14-2014, 07:08 PM
have a large, great BBQ lots of accessories.

recce43
02-14-2014, 08:56 PM
bass pro ct

bsmitty27
02-14-2014, 09:29 PM
My father in law has one and uses it all the time for everything. I would lOok at costco's it's not the egg brand but looks to be made great. At a reasonable price hey should be getting rum in shortly.

KWO
02-15-2014, 06:35 PM
My neighbour has one and he puts out some great stuff - pizza, brisket, chicken, ribs. Really impressed with it.

Evilsports
02-15-2014, 07:48 PM
I bought an XL last spring and used it all summer. I've even used it two or three times over the winter.

The fact that you can use it year round was a big selling point to me. I've had other smokers in the past that either didn't cut it, or required drastically varying smoke parameters depending on the weather.

It's a big heavy unit and it's pricey. Those are my two beefs with it.

I bought a tiny fan that mounts in the bottom vent and controls the temperature to within a degree or two. I can put a brisket on in the morning and not look at it again for 10 hours. I don't have to sit around at home and babysit it either. It's about as set it and forget it as they come.

I've ran it non-stop for 16-17 hours on a single fill of charcoal chunk, and had some left over to burn when I was done.

When you're finished just shut the vents and walk away. If you want to fire up a pizza you can get it screaming hot (600 plus degrees), and if you want to do some pulled pork of a brisket you can coast along at 200 degrees all day or night.

I've only had it for one season, but I'd recommend it and I'd buy it again knowing what I know now.

Check out the big green egg forum (Egghead Forum) for piles of advice, reviews, recommendations, recipes, etc.

Off in the Bushes
02-15-2014, 10:15 PM
WhenI was looking for one the Home Hardware in Highriver had the best prices on then.

no-regard
02-16-2014, 04:09 PM
I've had one for close to one year now, started with a medium and just recently traded it up to a large. I (and everyone who eats at my house) LOVE IT!! We use it all the time, just had Mom and Oma over last night for elk back strap and white tail tenderloins with grilled peppers and grilled potatoes. It can't be beat. Haven't used my propane bbq since I bought it, -20 and I'm out there grilling away. Some of my friends have Traegers, but they're nowhere near as versatile as the BGE. And don't be fooled by the lesser made imitations, like everything else you get what you pay for.

Anyone South of Calgary, give the crew at Taivin Supply in Taber a call. They're great to deal with and usually have all sorts of stock.

Yumm.

covey ridge
02-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks

Got mine from Home Hardware in High River. Cheaper than most bbq stores by a couple hundred dollars. Most Home Hardware stores do not sell them. BBQs Galore has them. Cambodian Tire has a fairly good knock of that is cheaper.

covey ridge
02-16-2014, 06:30 PM
I bought a tiny fan that mounts in the bottom vent and controls the temperature to within a degree or two. I can put a brisket on in the morning and not look at it again for 10 hours. I don't have to sit around at home and babysit it either. It's about as set it and forget it as they come.

I think I will have to get one of those. For long cooks I find I have to check in and make tiny adjustments.

I also got a Bradley smoker. I have not become one with the Bradley yet and do not have a handle on long and slow. I often start a cook on the smoker and finish it on the egg:)

full_throttle
02-16-2014, 08:01 PM
I would like to grab one as well this spring. Thinking that there must be some money to be saved down south in Montana. Anyone get a price on a large bge lately?

gatesniffer
02-16-2014, 11:39 PM
I bought an XL last spring and used it all summer. I've even used it two or three times over the winter.

The fact that you can use it year round was a big selling point to me. I've had other smokers in the past that either didn't cut it, or required drastically varying smoke parameters depending on the weather.

It's a big heavy unit and it's pricey. Those are my two beefs with it.

I've ran it non-stop for 16-17 hours on a single fill of charcoal chunk, and had some left over to burn when I was done.

When you're finished just shut the vents and walk away. If you want to fire up a pizza you can get it screaming hot (600 plus degrees), and if you want to do some pulled pork of a brisket you can coast along at 200 degrees all day or night.

I've only had it for one season, but I'd recommend it and I'd buy it again knowing what I know now.

Check out the big green egg forum (Egghead Forum) for piles of advice, reviews, recommendations, recipes, etc.

Where did you get the temp control fan assembly from?

Mekanik
02-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Used one for a fundraiser BBQ this past summer: found it was difficult for burgers and dogs but longer things like roasts this would ideal.

grouse_hunter
02-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Used one for a fundraiser BBQ this past summer: found it was difficult for burgers and dogs but longer things like roasts this would ideal.
You must not have gotten it hot enough. Granted you've got to use the grill more than once to figure out its specifics.

Mekanik
02-17-2014, 12:24 PM
You must not have gotten it hot enough. Granted you've got to use the grill more than once to figure out its specifics.

Using it in a fundraising application where the lid was open, closed, open, closed made heat control difficult. Not a really good use for it.

Love it, want one, just not for that application.

covey ridge
02-17-2014, 04:04 PM

It probably would not work well for that. The crowds at fundraisers are often served better by over cooked thin pre made burgers.

If one wants a truly gourmet burger done to perfection the egg is up to the task, but great food takes time.

bobinthesky
02-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Bass Pro has a Green Egg knock off for a lot less money than the original but I can't say if it's the same quality or not.

covey ridge
02-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Bass Pro has a Green Egg knock off for a lot less money than the original but I can't say if it's the same quality or not.

Do you recall what color it is?
Cambodian Tire has a black colored knock off. I took a close look at it and I can not see why that one would not cook as well as the BGE.

The BGE has got a very good warranty reputation.

gramps73
02-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies, after doing some reading and follow up i think the BGE is the way to go...