PDA

View Full Version : Will a mule deer raise a whitetail?

leeaspell
02-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Was driving home today and seen the same little group of deer I always see on the range road, Momma mulie with 2 little ones, but this time there was a third. As I got closer they all bunched together. I stopped and had a look and the third one was a little whitetail. They stood there staring back then they all turned and followed Momma into the bush.

Is it common for a mulie to adopt a whitetail or vice versa? Never actually noticed it before.

Red Bullets
02-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Never heard of a mulie doe tolerating a young whitetail. Maybe, as deer society goes, both types of deer are more tolerant of each other during deep snow periods and limited food source.
Now, if the whitetail was nuzzled up to the mulie doe, that would be controversial amongst the herds.

Taco
02-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Fawns have quit nursin' months ago. They usually nurse 3 to 4 months.

slough shark
02-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Whitetail fawns sometimes run with the mulies, my buddy shot his first deer (whitey fawn) that was with a herd of about 15 mulies.

hl649
02-14-2014, 11:21 PM
I remember years ago we used to have a muley doe that would come up to the house to eat. She had a mule fawn and a whitetail fawn with her one year. So the answer is yes, it is possible.