PDA

View Full Version : Flappy bird game

leeaspell
02-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Anyone else have this stupid game? Got to be dumbest game ever, but could make you some money apparently. Seems that if you have an iPhone or I anything with this game on it, you can sell it for an insane amount. Some kijiji add are over $2000 for an iPod with this game on it. Can't honestly believe someone would pay that much just to have that game, especially considering it was free.

Btw, got an HTC 1 with flappy bird I'd let go for 2G's if anyone is interested lol

bucksman
02-14-2014, 09:16 PM
My buddy read me an article that one went for $90,000!?

FishingMOM
02-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Anyone else have this stupid game? Got to be dumbest game ever, but could make you some money apparently. Seems that if you have an iPhone or I anything with this game on it, you can sell it for an insane amount. Some kijiji add are over $2000 for an iPod with this game on it. Can't honestly believe someone would pay that much just to have that game, especially considering it was free.

Btw, got an HTC 1 with flappy bird I'd let go for 2G's if anyone is interested lol

Apparently the guy got rich then shut it down and people are upset that its gone.
Mind you it would be a great way to make a quick buck if you're willing to dump your stuff.

leeaspell
02-14-2014, 09:25 PM
I heard on the news he shut it down because "it ruined his life". Probably all the death threats from ****ed off people who can't make it past the second stupid set of pipes lol

Sooner
02-14-2014, 09:34 PM
My kids are telling me he got rich, hated life, shut down the game and killed himself. That's why the game is no longer available and the insane prices.

TreeGuy
02-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Hmmmmm. I know the Shrubs were playing it. :test:

takkotime
02-14-2014, 10:33 PM
My kids are telling me he got rich, hated life, shut down the game and killed himself. That's why the game is no longer available and the insane prices.

He didn't kill himself. Just didn't like or prepare for the popularity so he pulled it. Anyone purchasing a device with it would be an idiot, as it is still available as a torrent and other places if you know where to look.. never mind that it'll never be updated and could be 'stopped' on existing devices at any time. I don't believe any of the devices actually sold for any crazy money.

-WIll

Bound2Fish
02-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Had it, hated it, deleted it. Good riddance.

bucksman
02-14-2014, 11:38 PM
I guess he was making 50,000 a day and it ruined his life he said......rich people problems?

Big Racks
02-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Funny how you hear tons of different rumours, never easy to determine the actual truth these days.

I had heard the same as above, but that it was a rumour, and the true story was copyright infringement issues with Nintendo/Mario Bros. for some components of the game. Never played, never will I guess, but my daughter is still playing it on her iPhone 4s. Someone wanna buy it???

Rob S
02-15-2014, 09:50 AM
I missed out on the flappy bird craze, but i have made it through 15 pipes of the SPLASHY FISH app. If my phone is worth $2000 dollars one day because if splashy fish, you can bet Ill be selling it :-)

hibby56
02-15-2014, 10:51 AM
worst game ever

bucksman
02-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Straight from Wikipedia..

Discontinuation
On February 8, 2014, Nguyen announced on Twitter that the game was to be removed from both Apple's App Store and Google Play, writing at 11am UTC: "I am sorry Flappy Bird users, 22 hours from now, I will take Flappy Bird down. I cannot take this anymore."[14] He went on to say that taking down the game has "nothing to do with legal issues".[15] On February 9, 2014, almost exactly 22 hours after this announcement, the game was removed from both Apple's App Store and Google Play.[16] Following the removal, many media outlets reported that several merchants on eBay were offering phones that had the app pre-installed for US$1499 or more, with some receiving bids of over $90,000;[17][18][19] however, the listings were removed for violating eBay's rule that smartphones must be restored to factory settings before being sold.[20]
In an exclusive interview with Forbes, Dong Nguyen blamed the game's addictive nature for its cancellation. Nguyen stated that "Flappy Bird was designed to play in a few minutes when you are relaxed. But it happened to become an addictive product. I think it has become a problem. To solve that problem, it's best to take down Flappy Bird. It's gone forever." Nguyen also revealed that he lost much sleep after the game's remarkable success which he wished to end.[21] Nguyen's other games include Super Ball Juggling and Shuriken Block, recently ranked at 6th and 18th at the iOS store. [21]

Sooner
02-15-2014, 12:38 PM
He didn't kill himself. Just didn't like or prepare for the popularity so he pulled it. Anyone purchasing a device with it would be an idiot, as it is still available as a torrent and other places if you know where to look.. never mind that it'll never be updated and could be 'stopped' on existing devices at any time. I don't believe any of the devices actually sold for any crazy money.

-WIll

Well that just proves kids get caught up in a rumor eh. I will let them know. Thanks. Personally I never heard of it or played it before this(daughter did show me the game the other night, looks like Mario I said) but if it was such a popular game and it was making you money, why not put it in the bank. That's why you design games, to be liked and played by millions which makes you money. To each his own I guess.