PDA

View Full Version : First bow shooting lesson

Faststeel
02-15-2014, 02:17 AM
Well I got myself a Prime Centroid just after Christmas. This was recommended as I am tall and have a 31 inch draw. Was having quite a bit of tennis elbow trouble and had a real hard time drawing it back. Got my elbows fixed up and added a pair of upper forearm bands, what a huge difference they make.
I could now draw the slightly less than 50 lbs with relative ease.
So the first thing I learned was foot position a lot like a sporting clays stance. Then hand position on the bow. The first bunch of arrows I shot I was trying to put the fiber optic dot from the sight right on the target instead of centering the whole pin and letting it " float " through the target.
I was very happy how it all worked out for my first lesson, now we just need some snow to melt for some outdoor practice. FS

338Bluff
02-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Try to shoot indoors at least once a week. You need to tone up the muscles required for archery (which most do not use or exercise that often). Do this and your tennis elbow won't bother you at all and you will be able to draw 50 lbs very comfortably.

Congrats! Don't over do the practice sessions either:).

Faststeel
02-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks Bluff

I did shoot another 18 shots in the back yard today, it was so nice out. FS

u_cant_rope_the_wind
02-15-2014, 09:50 PM
gopher season is awesome time and practice wth the bow

Faststeel
02-16-2014, 10:49 AM
gopher season is awesome time and practice wth the bow

I better get me some more arrows, do they come in hollow points?

Lefty-Canuck
02-16-2014, 01:01 PM
I better get me some more arrows, do they come in hollow points?

I like to use "Judo" points for gophers and small game....the way they are designed they slope down quickly after a hit (or miss) and the prong collect dirt and grass to slow down the arrow.

LC