PDA

View Full Version : Kinda Feel bad- Bad Deal?

chad66
02-15-2014, 02:38 PM
So I had my mom's 2008 Ram for sale on ao. This fellow made arrangements to drive up from around medicine hat area to Lamont He was a very serious buyer was going to be here about noonish. Asking price was 27k. At noon we got an offer of 30K for the truck and have the money in pocket. My mom tried contacting the guy at noon to tell him of the sale, but couldn't get a hold of him. He showed up a few minutes ago and I broke the news to him and offered to give him some cash. He was upset, I don't blame him. He refused the money....

Evilsports
02-15-2014, 02:43 PM
I couldn't have taken the $30k offer, wouldn't have even considered it.

I'm only as good as my word.

Jamie
02-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Did you agree on a price or was the guy just comming for a look?
If its a possibility of a buy, then sell it.
If he said he would take it.... That's a different story.

Jamie

70chevy
02-15-2014, 02:49 PM

x2,Made a deal with this guy and he drove all the way there to have you tell him this.I would be ****ed

bezzola
02-15-2014, 02:50 PM
I would have waited for the guy

Davey Boy
02-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I know that its 3k more but its the principal of the thing. I went to buy a set of dies from an AO member and sent the emt for the asking amount, and 5 minutes later get a email & pm that someone else sent their transfer in a minute before me. He should never have said he would sell it to me when he had someone else on the line for it too,. And I had sent it less than 2 minutes after he replied that it was still for sale.

My 2cents.

artie
02-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I always thought if I bought something and had to go get it I would get the other guys cell number and call every once in awhile to make sure things were still good to go. nothing like communication. In your case the guy might not have showed up.

Flatlandliver
02-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I understand he was ****ed but it happens the other way too. Had a guy ask me to hold a car for a week until he could pick it up, price agreed to. Had multiple offers in the meantime and when he showed up he tried to lowball me. Wouldn't sell it to him for twice the asking price after that. Lots of trucks for sale. He will get over it.

Coho911
02-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Same. My loss - yes, but I say deal - its a deal, even if something better comes along. Word is GOLD.

**What would you have done if the 30K offer guy drove down and then said "Oh, in this condition, 25K or I walk" or if they called back and said "Sorry, I offered you 30K but found something else".

First deal that both agree on and then meeting set up is a contract.

1000yards
02-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Three grand is alot to me right now,
but lamonts like a 5 hour drive one way...
If i could afford to deal in vehicles worth 30k,
I really hope that I would tell the cash offer-er that someones driving a mighty long way on his weekend to look at it, and that I would call him if the guys a hour late and I cant reach him, or if he turns it down,but since its in place, hes got first crack but thats easy to say from the outside looking in.

Selling a vehicle really sucks thou. 90% of ppl say they are going to look but dont show up, so when its that much money at risk, and not knowing the charecter of the other person on the phone, its really hard to say

Again its really hard to know your situation, and its really easy to say what anyone else would do under the circumstances.

Off in the Bushes
02-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Are you trying to make friends or get the valve out some goods. I don't know for you but for me $3K is a lot of cash. You made a attempt to save his time and you offered to pay for his time/gas. Don't feel bad, as you where diligent.

Redfrog
02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Easy enough to figure out. Your word appears to be worth $3000. Why would the guy offer 3K more than asking???

220swifty
02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Was the guy who ultimately bought it local?

If so, I would have informed him of the situation, and told him he was 2nd in line on the deal. If he was coming from a distance as well, I would have scheduled him in to look after the first guy.

doetracks
02-15-2014, 03:07 PM
On one hand, I'd say that was pretty crappy to do that. Lots of people don't answer a phone when they're driving.

On the other hand, I've been in the position of waiting for someone to show and they don't.

Tough call.. but I would have been extremely ticked had that happened to me.

tri777
02-15-2014, 03:11 PM
You made a attempt to save his time and you offered to pay for his time/gas. .

^^This is Key!!
Where the h*ll was he?..cell phones anyone..
To avoid similier situations in future put in ad:
"First person to show up with cash gets it,no holds or reserves"

bagwan
02-15-2014, 03:48 PM
Toughy. You, yourself says he was serious therefore I assume a verbal something was reached. If a word was given I know what I would do but I'm old school.(enphasis on OLD) At the very least if he is a fellow AO member you will in all liklihood get a whack on your trader rating as you posted the ad. I certainly would understand his point if that happens. I hope you do as well as it was a long trip for nothing. Hopefully he combined it with something else and it wasn't a total loss. Good suggestion on the above "no reserves, first with cash etc". Maybe a gift certificate after a cool down period would help alleviate a sticky situation also. No doubt your Mom could put the extra cash to good use and that is another perspective to look at.

kodiakken
02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
A man is only as good as his word.

Ken.

mudbug
02-15-2014, 04:07 PM
That's a really hard call, one thing I noticed in your post was that he was supposed to be there at noon and your post is at 2:38 so if the guy hadn't shown up until 2:30 he was 2.5 hours late and never even phoned to tell you he was going to be late..... well....

jungleboy
02-15-2014, 04:10 PM
I have had this happen to me on more than one occasion . Tell a guy I will buy it if it is as good as he says and have the cash in my hand to buy it. Rush out the door and get there to find out he sold it ten minutes before I got there . I don't bother taking people at their word that much anymore. Some times I get lucky sometimes not.
Mind you I have had the shoe on the other foot too.Guys say they are coming to buy for sure so I turn down other offers and no one shows up or if they do they try the old lowball I came all this way sad story:rolleye2:

coolpete1
02-15-2014, 04:19 PM
first one with cash wins , half the time guys that are on there way don't show up.

Sooner
02-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Was the guy who ultimately bought it local?

If so, I would have informed him of the situation, and told him he was 2nd in line on the deal. If he was coming from a distance as well, I would have scheduled him in to look after the first guy.

This seems to be the best way. Tell guy # 2 that he is on hold until guy # 1 shows and does a deal. If not, guy # 2 is back on and next in line. Long drive for a failed deal BUT if your going to be over two hrs late from the agreed meeting time, you have to call and let the seller know. Given the circumstances, you did what you could and offering the gas money was top notch. Not much you can do now.

Sledhead71
02-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Ken.

Exactly...

Dr. Phil A
02-15-2014, 04:37 PM
I had been looking for a sled of a certain make and displacement. Spent a lot of time on Kijiji until one day the right one showed up. I contacted the seller 11 minutes after he had posted it. Made arrangements and headed into Red Deer. We were in contact numerous times and he mentioned that he had 4 other guys wanting to come look at it. His asking price was very reasonable so I told him I would pay that price. He held it for me until I got there. He said his word was his word and I appreciated that. He said that I had contacted him first and that was it.

I appreciated the contact a number of times.

By the way the sled is great and the price was worth it.

mooseknuckle
02-15-2014, 05:08 PM
I can't believe you got 30k for an 08 ram? Tell him for 27k he can have my 09 ram!!

twofifty
02-15-2014, 05:11 PM
So I had my mom's 2008 Ram for sale on ao. This fellow made arrangements to drive up from around medicine hat area to Lamont He was a very serious buyer was going to be here about noonish. Asking price was 27k. At noon we got an offer of 30K for the truck and have the money in pocket. My mom tried contacting the guy at noon to tell him of the sale, but couldn't get a hold of him. He showed up a few minutes ago and I broke the news to him and offered to give him some cash. He was upset, I don't blame him. He refused the money....

Who in their right mind would commit to buy a used truck from a stranger, sight unseen? For this reason alone, the likelihood of an over-the-phone sale is infinitesimal.

Chad's post was made at 2.38pm, a few minutes after the guy showed up. As I read it there was no deal whatsoever, just an agreement to show & look at the truck around noon. No agreement was made on price.

Hat guy made a noonish appointment. In my books noonish is a 15 minute window before or after. By 12.30 I will reasonably assume you either changed your mind or rolled your truck in a ditch...or what's more likely, found a deal elsewhere.

Regardless, lookie-lou from the Hat knows he is running late ... yet he doesn't have the courtesy to call the vendor and ask to re-schedule the viewing.

Hat shows up unannounced after 2pm, which is way late, and has the gall to be ****ed??? Give me a break.

No deal was made and Chad66 is an honorable man.

Fredo
02-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken A man is only as good as his word.

Ken.
Exactly...

X3

Mb-MBR
02-15-2014, 05:49 PM

Ken.

This pretty much sums it up. personally if I had contact with a willing buyer and set a time, I would honour my word.

Boots270
02-15-2014, 05:52 PM
I can't believe you got 30k for an 08 ram? Tell him for 27k he can have my 09 ram!!

X2
Gimme that dudes number.

And yes you made a shyster deal.
Morals and ethics my friend.

chopperman
02-15-2014, 05:58 PM
From having deals go south with either no shows or no money when time comes to pay I've have made it clear that it's first come first serve! Whoever puts the money (cash) in my hand first gets whatever it is I'm selling!
This way if they show up and it's sold I don't feel bad. I will contact seriously interested parties and let them know it's sold when it has been sold.

KegRiver
02-15-2014, 06:11 PM
From having deals go south with either no shows or no money when time comes to pay I've have made it clear that it's first come first serve! Whoever puts the money (cash) in my hand first gets whatever it is I'm selling!
This way if they show up and it's sold I don't feel bad. I will contact seriously interested parties and let them know it's sold when it has been sold.

I appreciate knowing where I stand on a deal. First come first serve is fine, but when a seller tells me he'll hold it for me, if he sells it to someone else he will never see me again.

And I don't haggle. I pay what is asked. And I pay cash.

A man really is only as good as his word. First come first serve is a condition I can accept, even appreciate.
Breaking ones word, I can not accept or appreciate.

Boots270
02-15-2014, 06:12 PM

Being up front and saying 1st come 1st serve is far and away different then setting up an appt with one guy who's gotta drive 5hrs and sell it from under him.
But money makes people do strange things.

1899b
02-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I will hold an item for AO people no problemo!!!

As for the Kijiji retards?? First one with cash in my hand gets the item and i explain that if there are a couple people coming around the same time. I let em know they better put the hammer down and get to my place chicken louie as someone else said they were on the way as well....

chad66
02-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Did you agree on a price or was the guy just comming for a look?
If its a possibility of a buy, then sell it.
If he said he would take it.... That's a different story.

Jamie

No deal was made.

The asking price was 27k.

I assumed he was serious because of the distance travelled.

He made no offer on the truck but I imagine he would have tried to get a lower price as few people pay asking price.

I personally sent him pictures of any damage I could see on the truck the night before he came down so as not to mislead him.

I asked him for his cell number last night via email after I had spoken to him on the phone.

He did not give me one.

I asked my mom to phone him when the second offer started brewing about noon, and she was not able to get a hold of him, but his answering machine said "I am in the office today, and am probably with a client right now etc."

I told the guy who bought it that if:

1. The first guy showed up by 2 pm up I would sell it to him for 27k asking price.

2. If he didn't show by 2 then I would accept his offer of 30k.

Just after 2 the deal was done with second person, money in the bank.

Then We got a phone call from the first person who was in town at the gas station. My mom had him come over so I could explain the situation and give him cash for his trouble.

Not that this makes one shred of difference with respect to the original post, or my integrity, but my dad died in early December, he had been a diabetic for about 47 years and had poked more holes in his body than most hardcore drug users ever will. He could not get life insurance because of his condition.

Chad

S-in-Cochrane
02-15-2014, 06:50 PM
I've been on the other end of this deal.

Was looking for a dirt bike for the girlfriend. We drove up to Onoway to get one. Told buddy as long as it was in advertised condition we had a deal and I've got the cash in my pocket etc. She talked to him via text the whole trip up etc. It was a rural address and we got stuck on the wrong side of a slough, so we were 15 or so minutes late. We had texted the guy to communicate this.

Pulled up to the guy's house and he was loading it into the back of someone else's truck.

I was some furious and will never ever deal with said individual again.

1899b
02-15-2014, 06:55 PM
If the seller says "YES I WILL HOLD IT FOR YOU as long as you show up within the agreed window of time. Then if he sells it on you within that agreed window of time, then the buyer would have a beef.

I don't think Chad did anything wrong.

flyguyd
02-15-2014, 07:01 PM
No deal was made.

He made no offer on the truck but I imagine he would have tried to get a lower price as few people pay asking price.

I personally sent him pictures of any damage I could see on the truck the night before he came down so as not to mislead him.

I asked him for his cell number last night via email after I had spoken to him on the phone.

He did not give me one.

I asked my mom to phone him when the second offer started brewing about noon, and she was not able to get a hold of him, but his answering machine said "I am in the office today, and am probably with a client right now etc."

1. The first guy showed up by 2 pm up I would sell it to him for 27k asking price.

Then We got a phone call from the first person who was in town at the gas station. My mom had him come over so I could explain the situation and give him cash for his trouble.

Not that this makes one shred of difference with respect to the original post, or my integrity, but my dad died in early December, he had been a diabetic for about 47 years and had poked more holes in his body than most hardcore drug users ever will. He could not get life insurance because of his condition.

Chad

Sounds like you were more than fair,.and its nice you got a little more cash for mom.Happily for my family my life insurance was bought long prevoius to my diabetes . Your dad must have had type 1 . Sorry for your loss

Boots270
02-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Your 2nd explanation paints a more than fair deal. I would have done it too.
I retract any negative comments I made.

Lefty-Canuck
02-15-2014, 07:02 PM
If I say I'll take it I do...unless the item is not as advertised.

If I say I'll hold it I do...first person has first right of refusal, the rest go in the order the message was received.

I have sold items that other were willing to pay more for...for less, at the end of the day personal integrity has no price.

With the explanation the OP gave it was his judgement call to make and none of us should judge. $3000 is a fair chunk of change to part with when you have that money in hand.

LC

chewydog
02-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Sounds like you were more than fair,.and its nice you got a little more cash for mom.Happily for my family my life insurance was bought long prevoius to my diabetes . Your dad must have had type 1 . Sorry for your loss

I agree, if he would of wired up 500 bucks to hold it, then thats different, no cash no hold. I've held stuff for people for along time and more often then not, they vanish into thin air. I will hold stuff for AO members depending on their reviews and time on the site. My word is my bond but it is not so much with others.

I think you did the right move!

harrydude
02-15-2014, 07:10 PM
I say there is nothing wrong here. Calls were made ... First guy shows up 2.5 hrs late. So I guess it was noonish somewhere. Lol

As they say money talks and bs walks

Ranch11
02-15-2014, 07:11 PM
You should feel bad.

chad66
02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
You should feel bad.

Yes, I do, but I tried to be fair. I think I was too.
Chad

Kaz Dog
02-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Yes, I do, but I tried to be fair. I think I was too.
ChadI believe you were! You tried to get a hold of him in transit, no money down, and he was late to the appointed time. How were you to know that he was still on his way?

mudbug
02-15-2014, 08:12 PM
No deal was made.

He did not give me one.

Chad

Well the guy didn't show up on time, didn't call you to say he was going to be late, didn't even call you to tell you he was on his way. Plus with what you just posted I don't think you did anything really wrong.
Guy shows up 2.5 hours late after his appt then that's his fault that he didn't call etc to say he was running late plus he didn't even call to tell you he was on his way to look at the truck so how are you supposed to know if your even going to hear from him again....

mudbug
02-15-2014, 08:15 PM
I had a guy tell me he was going to buy a motorhome from me, told me not to sell it to anyone else when we were inside looking through the motorhome. He said on his word he'd be there tomorrow with the cash etc. Jerk bailed on me the next day after I told two other interested parties that it was sold, lucky for me I had one of the other guys phone numbers, he came back and gave me a deposit on it and paid it in full a couple days later.

Sledder1
02-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Just one of life's learning lessons for everyone. Deal is done, move on.

canoes
02-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi Chad,
You did nothing wrong, as others have pointed out, who's to say he would have even bought it.

Don't feel bad about anything, up until he responded to your ad he was a stranger. The most important person in the whole deal is your Mom. As long as she is happy that's all that matters.

I have been on both sides of the deal, when buying something I have told the person if I am NOT there by this time and someone else comes along don't worry about it.

I have been stood up so many times by people saying I want to come by, I am bringing my canoe by to have you look at it and I am putting a deposit in the mail tomorrow.

Throwing the term around your only as good as your word means nothing, I judge people not by what they say but what they do. I don't need someone to keep their word over a kijjiji ad, or a truck sale or anything unimportant. I need them to be there when it counts.

As my best friend who passed away used to say,, he's a big boy he will get over it!

Larry

renegadeg2
02-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Seems quite straight forward. Nothing to be sorry about. Car goes to the first one who makes the deal and pays or makes an appropriate deposit.
Few people play straight these days....
I once put in a deposit for an Audi a4 (few hundred dollars - subject to a inspection paid for by me). The seller still sold the car off the next morning and almost walked away with my deposit as well.....

big zeke
02-15-2014, 08:35 PM
So the guy knew he was going to be quite late well before he arrived in Lamont, actually at the agreed time he was roughly halfway there...and he never bothered to call. So how did he think you should hold off on a good offer for him to roll in...you had no way of knowing if he would ever show up. The 3K is not the point, when this guys was significantly late AND had made no contact AND there was no purchase commitment there was no reason to remain in a holding pattern. The fact that you offered cash for his trouble is actually a comment on your character, many guys wouldn't.

These trucks hold value like crazy, I got $20K for a 2001 Cummins last year, 4 guys in line to buy it...just nuts.

Zeke

MK2750
02-15-2014, 08:51 PM
You tell a guy you are going to sell it for $27,000 to another fellow but if he doesn't show up by 2 pm you will let him have it for $30,000.

The buyer must be crazy. Why would he not just give you the 27 at 2 pm.? It was your full asking price.

BTW, if someone told me noon and did not call, the truck would be sold at 12:30 and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

BobNewton
02-15-2014, 08:51 PM
If I say I'll hold it, I do.

But I will never say Ill hold it until paid in full or bare minimum of a deposit in hand.

Said deposit could be $50.

Until I have a commitment. It's first come first serve. However I would not accept a deposit if I had a scheduled meeting I could not cancel. Over an hour late without contact.

Too bad. I couldn't turn down a deal in that circumstance for a strong possibility of a tire kicker. Especially a tardy tire kicker.

I hate selling vehicles for that reason. Sit around waiting all Saturday for a no show.

I wouldn't worry about it. You honoured what you said, he didn't. Be on time. Everyone is too busy these days to waste time on that chit.

GreenCanada
02-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Nothing to feel bad about here Chad. You tried to compensate the interested party who was late, which was more than honourable on your part. As you mentioned, there was no deal in place and no communication from the interested party that they were going to be over two hours late.

Condolences to your family, but you did the right thing. Like others have said, you are only as good as your word and in my opinion you kept it.

rodgerskr
02-15-2014, 09:23 PM
I have been in this situation before, had a buyer interested in my boat sent him pics from every possible angle had an agreed upon price, I towed it from ft Mac to athabasca to meet the guy because he was from Reed Deer area, just to have him call 30 min after the meeting time to say that he had changed his mind. Now I weed out possible situations like that by asking for a deposit. If there was no confirmed deal ( with deposit or at least "I'll take it") you should have a clear conscience. My $.02 worth

norwestalta
02-15-2014, 09:35 PM

do you one better for 25k he can have my 11 even cheaper if I never have to see it again.

Carson12
02-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Your original post My mom tried contacting the guy at noon to tell him of the sale .... sounds like you sold the truck before he even had a chance to get there, but the next post

I asked my mom to phone him when the second offer started brewing about noon ... sounds like your were trying to give him every chance to make the deal.

I think that's why you've got a pretty wide swing in responses.

Me, I'd probably be willing to give a bigger window to a guy who I spoke with on the phone the night before, who is making a 10 hour round trip to see me, and whose landline goes to the answering machine when he's supposed to be on the road. I'd be getting that fuzzy feeling that more likely than not he's gonna show up on my doorstep sometime today.
But I also believe in Karma.

Boots270
02-15-2014, 10:18 PM
I understand your point carson but if I was the consumer I would have called to say that I'd be late.
I defend the op's position.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
02-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Remember this post if you ever try to sell something on this site. I am not saying you are right or wrong for what you did but it may have repercussions if somebody remembers this post.

chad66
02-15-2014, 10:25 PM
I think I've made three purchases over the forum. All deals were done in Calgary. The first one I bought a couple of nice two piece spinning rods and a friend picked them up for me. I saw him a month or two later, No big deal.

Second deal was for a 2000 Honda 400 4x4. came with a bunch of stuff including a trailer and blade. The guy wanted 4500, he offered to Ao members for 4000. I agreed to meet him in Calgary (nothing more) which is about a 12 hour drive for me, maybe 11 down our newly paved highway. (one way) The quad had been rolled over and the handle bars were bent and the speedometer housing and contents were smashed to pieces. The damage that was done was as advertised by him and I hold him to be an honest man. I offered $3800 he wanted 4k. It was close as to whether or not I was going to buy it or go home without it. He really wanted 4.

He settled for $3800. I took it home.

I bought this on behalf of my 16 year old son, now 17 who is currently paying for this quad, along with my third purchase, (Also on his behalf) a 14 foot lund with 25 horse Johnson which was bought last summer. He graduates this year and is the RAP program (Wish they had that when I was a kid) to make a little money to pay his bills and get some credits.

I made the deal basically over the phone, had a friend check it out and paid for it sight unseen. Made direct deposits into his account over a few days and once it was paid for my friend took it to his place and I picked it up a few days later when I drove down.

Turns out the motor would only run for about 1/2 hour or so and then quit; The cdi box or whatever its called is shot. My son got about 3 hours of joy the rest has been nothing but heartache. I did not call the seller back and ask if he knew about this problem even though I had another question about a missing part on the motor that was pointed out to me by a mechanic afterwards. I never questioned him and believe him to be an honest man. These things happen. The boat motor is going to get repaired this spring when funds allow.

Chad

bagwan
02-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Ref my post 16 back aways. Now that you've added more facts to the matter I think you and your mom did everything you could. In her circumstances the extra money and the fact no promises were made make cash in hand hard to turn down when no calls about being later came in. Your Mom is probably going through enough to have this weigh on her mind. I for one would still deal with you.

sakogreywolf
02-16-2014, 09:07 AM
From what I have read on this thread, I would have no problems dealing with the OP. If I was a potential buyer and I was going to be more than 10 minutes late, I would contact the seller to let them know. If I was a seller, I would be po'd if I was made to wait around for 2 HOURS without any contact from the other person.

adogwiththumbs
02-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Communication is key. The buyer dropped the ball, plain and simple. If he didn't contact you to confirm before investing his whole Saturday driving, buyers fault.
Communication matters as much as cash in hand. I truly hope you and your mother enjoy the extra three thousand, sounds like it really counts right now. I don't think you have any bad juju headed your way.

jackrabbit000
02-16-2014, 10:32 AM
If he said that he would take it then you were wrong to sell it for $3000 more. Coming to look at it, then that's a different story because you don't know if he wants it or not.

antlercarver
02-16-2014, 11:38 AM
I think everyone here will be very careful dealing with you or
taking you for your word.

coolpete1
02-16-2014, 11:53 AM

yeah , i'll give you my phone number and answer it if you call :sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
02-16-2014, 12:02 PM
For something that expensive I would tell hem first come first serve but I currently have no offers. If you are traveling give me your phone number should something change.

The truck is yours to sell. If he emailed and said he would buy it for $27K and you emailed back with confirmation it is his...then got a higher offer and sold it to someone else...he could of sued you for breach of contract. Damages would be travel costs and any difference in cost once he found a truck...if it cost more...

If the plan was just to come see it...the risk is he would of dickered, said no, tried to low ball etc.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

tri777
02-16-2014, 12:10 PM
It's good that you felt bad Chad,it shows you have empathy!
As for feeling bad now,that is nothing more than the
devil whispering in your ear!!

coreya3212
02-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Some responses are hilarious. I bought a new 75 thousand dollar truck because you sold the 27k truck out from under me so you owe me the difference... Please

just_dave
02-16-2014, 02:07 PM
It was for your Mom.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Sundancefisher
02-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Some responses are hilarious. I bought a new 75 thousand dollar truck because you sold the 27k truck out from under me so you owe me the difference... Please

If you at referring to my post you did not understand.

When you have an offer and acceptance situation then under law you have a contractual agreement.

If you said in writing to make it clear that I offered you $27K for 2009 truck X... And you accepted...subject to me getting there today...and I showed up and the truck was sold to someone else. Under law I could go out and buy basically the same 2009 truck X and if it cost me $2000 more plus $500 in lost travel cost I could take you to small claims court and I would very likely win a judgement against you for $2500.

That would be the max damages due to you breaking our contract.

Buying a $75K truck is just a ridiculous add on by you...and yes would have you laughed out of court.

This would apply to breaking any contract. Most people however would not be bothered. But it could happen so just be above board in your dealings.

gulfman
02-16-2014, 04:06 PM
I wonder if we will hear from the guy that lost out

Mike_W
02-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Unfortunately a mans word aint worth chit anymore as I have found out many times. Deals made and no shows.
Had a guy come and look at a boat once, said he will be back with a check Monday . Told him if anyone else comes that I would let him know as he wasn't leaving a deposit. He said " hey we shook on it a mans word " blah blah I said ok fine. Come Monday he called to bail on the deal.

So IMO I would only hold a large item with a deposit. If you make a trip to buy something be smart and give a refundable deposit or take your chances.

birdee
02-16-2014, 05:45 PM
an old cliche is a sale is not a sale till the money is in your hands.
been there done that.I think your comment speeks for your integritee.
op did nothing wrong.

coreya3212
02-16-2014, 05:53 PM
I guess you read it as they had a deal and he was going to pick it up. I read it as a guy going to look at a truck but was late for his appointment and bythetime he got there it was sold.

I don't think in your scenario that damages would include price differential in trucks. Just an opinion.

grizz325
02-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Karma is all I can say as if someone is driving 5 hours he would be serious in my books.

From The Hip
02-16-2014, 07:06 PM
You made the deal with the guy and then bailed on it for more cash and the guy shows up to find the truck gone and then refuses gas money.You are lucky you did not get 4 knuckles to the kisser.The fact that the guy refused the gas money shows his integrity and you are lacking it.

I say donate the extra money to a womens shelter or a food bank or some other charitable organization and pay it forward to cleanse yourself of this bad karma.

FTH

ESOXangler
02-16-2014, 07:43 PM
You made the deal with the guy and then bailed on it for more cash and the guy shows up to find the truck gone and then refuses gas money.You are lucky you did not get 4 knuckles to the kisser.The fact that the guy refused the gas money shows his integrity and you are lacking it.

I say donate the extra money to a womens shelter or a food bank or some other charitable organization and pay it forward to cleanse yourself of this bad karma.

FTH

Judging by what you wrote, you do have to some degree fairly decent reading comprehension. You should use it and read the thread! He made no deal, the guy was coming to look. Looking ain't buying, so go judge somewhere jack ass!

From The Hip
02-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Judging by what you wrote, you do have to some degree fairly decent reading comprehension. You should use it and read the thread! He made no deal, the guy was coming to look. Looking ain't buying, so go judge somewhere jack ass!

A 5 hour drive coming to "take a look" is someone who will buy...not kick tires and mess around about something as frivilous as a tiny scratch in the paint or a tear on a seat....the guy investested 5 HOURS of his time to "take a look" meaning that if he was willing to give up 5 hours of his time he was going to buy it.

Do you spend 5 hours driving to buy groceries or beer when they are available to you locally?No I bet you dont.But I bet if you saw something you wanted and you had to drive for 5 hours to get it and the price was right you would do so.And you would be pizzed off if it was sold between when you left home and got to the destination.

As for a your response you missed a very important word after the comma in your last sentence and that word is "else" right between "somewhere" and "jack ass".Learn to form a sentence before you chastise me about integrity.

FTH

coreya3212
02-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Until the looker shows up late in the story, the seller doesn't know if he will show at all. The five hours don't mean squat if the seller doesn't know he's on his way.

ESOXangler
02-16-2014, 08:48 PM
A 5 hour drive coming to "take a look" is someone who will buy...not kick tires and mess around about something as frivilous as a tiny scratch in the paint or a tear on a seat....the guy investested 5 HOURS of his time to "take a look" meaning that if he was willing to give up 5 hours of his time he was going to buy it.

Do you spend 5 hours driving to buy groceries or beer when they are available to you locally?No I bet you dont.But I bet if you saw something you wanted and you had to drive for 5 hours to get it and the price was right you would do so.And you would be pizzed off if it was sold between when you left home and got to the destination.

As for a your response you missed a very important word after the comma in your last sentence and that word is "else" right between "somewhere" and "jack ass".Learn to form a sentence before you chastise me about integrity.

FTH
You're cute! :sLo_BigBearHug:

lattery1
02-16-2014, 09:39 PM
If you set a time and don't honor it screw you, without a call with an explanation or reason the deal is dead in my opinion. If I wanted to do a deal with someone and made the original contact, I would do everything in my power to complete the deal or let the seller know in a timely manner.. The only deal I tried to make on here and then had to not complete was with member Off in the Bushes.. Was not an set time deal and I believe I gave him enough notice not to cause any hard feelings.. Recently made a deal with member Caber and feel both parties were satisfied at the completion..

Les

sakogreywolf
02-17-2014, 09:16 AM
No deal was made.

He did not give me one.

Chad

FTH

FTH

There was no deal made. There seller presumed that the fellow was serious due to the fact that he was driving 5 hours to LOOK at the truck. I will agree that it would be safe to assume the "potential buyer" was serious. However, it sounds like the "serious" potential buyer was very late and did not have the courtesy to inform the op......meanwhile the op is trying to get a hold of this guy to no avail. For all the op knew, the guy was not even going to show....it happens, and not just a little bit according to what I have read on AO.

As far as inferring that if a fellow is going to drive 5 hours, he is going to absolutely buy the vehicle.....I don't believe that. I personally have driven as far or further to look at equipment/vehicles, and then delayed or decided not to purchase. I will admit that if I was driving that far to look at something, I would be upset if I did not get a chance to at least look at and have option to buy, however, I have always kept in contact and never been even a little late for my appointment, let alone a couple hours.

The way this all played out is certainly a crappy situation, but it appears to me, with the info given, that the op did what was reasonable to get in contact with the potential buyer to confirm whether or not that he was going to look at the vehicle........when he could not confirm, he took the sure thing. I do not see how he can be faulted for that.

nekred
02-17-2014, 09:20 AM
I certainly would not have posted this on AO!....

Sundancefisher
02-17-2014, 09:28 AM
I guess you read it as they had a deal and he was going to pick it up. I read it as a guy going to look at a truck but was late for his appointment and bythetime he got there it was sold.

I don't think in your scenario that damages would include price differential in trucks. Just an opinion.

I did not say he had a deal. Sounds like it was not. Therefore no damages.

However my point was be clear when talking to perspective buyers. Some nasty results can occur. I have heard it happening in home sales more so due to the cost and emotion...especially in a rising price environment.

Verbal and writing acceptance of offers are valid. Burden of proof is harder with no witness verbal agreements.

rocpilefsj
02-17-2014, 10:11 AM
The whole story sounds a little fishy to me, who would buy at 3000 dollars above asking price on a used vehicle, never mind for 30,000? If there was no agreement then why even spend a minute thinking about it, if there was and you are spinning a story in your favour to try and make yourself feel better then shame on you...

When I bought my side by side it was a good 6 hour drive to pick it up, I texted the seller a pic of the bank draft with his name on it, texted him when I left, texted him when I was an hour out. Communication is key. The side by side was exactly as described in his ad, we shook hands I paid him and we thanked each other for not screwing each other around. I wish all my purchases went this way.

panamajr
02-17-2014, 10:30 AM
i have sold many thigs in the past
and im tired of these *******s showing up after telling me its a deal
then at my door they try and jew you down
word is your bond some say
f that now days cash is king and first gets it cause everyone wants a deal
good sale bud dont loose sleep over it

Mike_W
02-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Communication is key but ask yourself this were you persuaded by the extra $3000 offer? Did the buyer know you were having another buyer coming from out of town and attempted to persuade you to sell it to him by offering you more money. If the buyer offered you the same $27,000 would have you given the out of town buyer more time or tried to call him more? The guy could have been out of cell reception or something. Did you leave a message?
If the extra $3000 was what changed your integrity than I understand why you feel bad and are asking us and I believe you should.

Boots270
02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Communication is key but ask yourself this were you persuaded by the extra $3000 offer? Did the buyer know you were having another buyer coming from out of town and attempted to persuade you to sell it to him by offering you more money. If the buyer offered you the same $27,000 would have you given the out of town buyer more time or tried to call him more? The guy could have been out of cell reception or something. Did you leave a message?
If the extra $3000 was what changed your integrity than I understand why you feel bad and are asking us and I believe you should.

All the burden does not go on the seller.
A good customer bears the same communication burden.
I will always call even if I know I'm going to be 5 minutes late.
It's just good practice in any circumstance.

Sundancefisher
02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
If he said that he would take it then you were wrong to sell it for $3000 more. Coming to look at it, then that's a different story because you don't know if he wants it or not.

Problem is I have sold 3 vehicles. In all instances more than one said they would take it. I priced to sell. In all instances they came out, saw the vehicle, said it looked good but that they don't have enough money. I did not sell and sold to nice people not playing a game.

Until you see the money...you can't trust anyone will buy it. No one buys a vehicle sight unseen.

For that money I would have an offer subject to an inspection plus accident and lien report. They should have all the maintenance info.

TBark
02-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Like nekred said,
Why was this even posted ?

TBark

tri777
02-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Like nekred said,
Why was this even posted ?

TBark

Really?
This is a highly interesting thread!!
Maybe go to page 4 and read "found a cool new artist"
with 'one' view?
This thread is a complete educational read on what the lot
of most Albertans are at in dealing with others..it appears 60%
or so still have that 'something' known as common sense.

tri777
02-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Karma is all I can say as if someone is driving 5 hours he would be serious in my books.

Is there a 'Dumb' karma tax?
Traveling 5 frikk'n hours withOUT a cell phone should
really have some kind of tax of stupidness attached to it!

big bore 09
02-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken A man is only as good as his word.

Ken.

X3

x4 if you give your word stick to it

tri777
02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
x4 if you give your word stick to it
^^And under these specific circumstances=
Silly advice!
PLEASE read ALL of the pure common sense below on how this unfolded!

-No deal was made.
-I asked him for his cell number last night via email, He did not give me one.

I asked my mom to phone him when the second offer started brewing about noon, and she was not able to get a hold of him,

.257Weatherby
02-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Went to buy a truck on Vancouver Island at a dealership( shoulda thought longer right there).
Told the salesman I was from Vancouver and going to be on the next ferry over, he said ''Great see you when you get here"
Well, when I arrived at dealership it was all nice and shiny (washed) young Mommy and Son where fussing around the truck and I knew something was up at that point.
A Salesman approaches me and asks if i need any help..yup it was sold out from under me.
No phone call , nothing ... but siht happens as they could have been there all day waiting for me to arrive too.
To the OP forget about it, life is to short to worry about petty things.
Best Regards,
Rob

From The Hip
02-17-2014, 07:38 PM
A few months ago I placed a printed ad for the MAS journal.I had a guy contact me to buy a cased pair of Uberti Colt Walkers(47% scaled miniatures) and he paid my asking price and he also bought a 1/2 scale Winchester lever action I wanted to sell.We agreed on a price and he sent me a cashiers check.Just 2 days later when the money was in transit I had another guy call me up wanting to buy the cased pair of Uberti Colt Walkers.I told him that they were sold and that the money was on the way.He offered me $200 over my asking price for the set and I had agreed to sell them for $100 under my asking price.

I told him....NO.....I made the deal and expected the money in good faith....I got the check and cashed it and I sent off the miniatures in the mail.I could have gotten another $200 but I chose to keep my word instead.

Bust a deal and you face the wheel of bad karma and it allways ends up running you over.

To the OP....I urge you to donate the extra money to something charitable and cleanse yourself of this bad karma as it will catch up with you eventually.

Just my .02

FTH

tri777
02-17-2014, 07:49 PM
My word is so solid & iron clad that if i
promise to hold my truck for you,i will do such
even if you decide to show up 14mths later..
a man of his word,or senility?

Kanonfodder
02-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Threads run its course