PDA

View Full Version : Question about overtime pay

troutbug
02-15-2014, 02:54 PM
I have a friend at my previous place of employment. He thinks we got hooped on OT.

We worked 1 week on 1 week off in Fort Mcmurray.

12 hour days but no overtime unless we worked over a certain amount of hours in a month.

For example I worked 21 days straight and only received a week of overtime out of that whole 21 days as apparently we only get it after 170 hours or something like that AND you cannot have more then (I think it was) 2-3 days off otherwise it would reset everything and you wouldn't get overtime until you worked a certain stretch.

I have been trying to research but I know many people on this site are knowledgeable. and might have some good feedback about this.

I guess one employee asked and the boss said they are under well servicing or something so thats how we get paid, yet we were in the oilsands and mechanics
thanks

Wild&Free
02-15-2014, 03:00 PM
ask the labor board, should be a toll free number on the website.

troutbug
02-15-2014, 03:13 PM
ask the labor board, should be a toll free number on the website.

I believe they are closed on weekends, but definitely will call

1000yards
02-15-2014, 03:19 PM
What did you sign before you took the job?
Depends on type of job also

http://humanservices.alberta.ca/working-in-alberta/1470.html

"Except for certain industries and professions, most employees are entitled to overtime pay. The basic overtime is all hours worked in excess of:

eight hours a day, or
44 hours a week.

Overtime hours are to be calculated both on a daily and weekly basis. The higher of the two numbers is overtime hours worked in the week. All employees, including those who are paid a weekly, monthly, or annual salary, must be paid overtime pay for overtime hours they work.

Except where overtime hours are accumulated under an overtime agreement, all overtime hours must be paid at the rate of at least one and half times (1.5 x) the employee’s regular wage rate."

Wild&Free
02-15-2014, 03:20 PM
I believe they are closed on weekends, but definitely will call

if there are any irregularities the board will be right on top of it for you.

troutbug
02-15-2014, 03:23 PM

"Except for certain industries and professions, most employees are entitled to overtime pay. The basic overtime is all hours worked in excess of:

eight hours a day, or
44 hours a week.

Overtime hours are to be calculated both on a daily and weekly basis. The higher of the two numbers is overtime hours worked in the week. All employees, including those who are paid a weekly, monthly, or annual salary, must be paid overtime pay for overtime hours they work.

Except where overtime hours are accumulated under an overtime agreement, all overtime hours must be paid at the rate of at least one and half times (1.5 x) the employee’s regular wage rate."

I am trying to find the paperwork I signed, I remember reading a sheet saying how we were paid but not signing it

Wild&Free
02-15-2014, 03:32 PM

eight hours a day, or
44 hours a week.

that doesn't apply in the patch, unless you're admin staff in an office.

mudbug
02-15-2014, 04:12 PM
that doesn't apply in the patch, unless you're admin staff in an office.

Unless you've signed an agreement/contract for wages, eg like a fixed salary I'm pretty sure it does apply :)

Wild&Free
02-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Unless you've signed an agreement/contract for wages, eg like a fixed salary I'm pretty sure it does apply :)

oil well servicemen are entitled OT after 95 hours, not 88. look it up.

deanmc
02-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Several industry jobs are actually 10 hrs/day and 191 hours/month before overtime is calculated.

deanmc
02-15-2014, 04:34 PM
If he was oil well servicing it is 12 hrs perday.

http://humanservices.alberta.ca/documents/Overtime-Hours-and-Overtime-Pay.pdf

Scroll down to page 3. Chart breaks it all down.

troutbug
02-15-2014, 04:38 PM

What I dont understand is that we were not well servicing so how can we be under that?

brownbomber
02-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Get ot after 8 hours a day and wouldn't work somewhere that didn't pay like that.

mudbug
02-15-2014, 04:40 PM

Oops I was wrong :)

Wild&Free
02-15-2014, 04:41 PM

95 hours a pay period, typically 2 a month, so 190 hours. I was close.

just goes to show how working with resources in Alberta means your time is less valuable the working in an office.

deanmc
02-15-2014, 04:46 PM
What I dont understand is that we were not well servicing so how can we be under that?

I didnt know what he was doing. Just pointed out well servicing because it appeared to be the only one that is 12 hrs without ot.:shake2:

brownbomber
02-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Paid weekly say average 60 hours a week, 20 hours of that is ot. Be clear on what you get when you sign up. Some companies pay to maximize their profits, some pay to keep guys around. If you don't look out for number one who will??

DiabeticKripple
02-15-2014, 04:47 PM

im only seeing 191/month

troutbug
02-15-2014, 04:50 PM
I didnt know what he was doing. Just pointed out well servicing because it appeared to be the only one that is 12 hrs without ot.:shake2:

Ya we were told we are being paid under well servicing rules ..we were mechanics in the oilsands

Wild&Free
02-15-2014, 04:59 PM
im only seeing 191/month

or 95.5 hours bi monthly pay period. I got scammed some ot hours myself because of that. one call to the board had me paid up in under a week.

deanmc
02-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Ya we were told we are being paid under well servicing rules ..we were mechanics in the oilsands

Interesting. I dont see an exception for mechanics in the chart. Your friend might be entitled to a fairly large amount of overtime then.

DiabeticKripple
02-15-2014, 05:18 PM
or 95.5 hours bi monthly pay period. I got scammed some ot hours myself because of that. one call to the board had me paid up in under a week.

its confusing as to how much OT a 15 on 6 off guy makes haha

Wild&Free
02-15-2014, 05:45 PM
its confusing as to how much OT a 15 on 6 off guy makes haha

hehe, 7 and 7 for this guy so it wasn't to hard to see.

DiabeticKripple
02-15-2014, 05:53 PM
hehe, 7 and 7 for this guy so it wasn't to hard to see.

i was 8 and 6 this summer 10 hr days, also easy to do.

im thinking the 15-6 is somewhere around 50 hrs OT/ month

ali#1
02-15-2014, 06:11 PM
I get ot after 8 and 40 and my ot is double time. Wouldn't work ot for less.

wannabe
02-15-2014, 06:16 PM
What are you guys talking about?? Overtime?? Is there such a thing.lol
Been my own boss for too many years, worked too much construction and for too many farmers.
The guys I work with who are employees get paid double time. I believe after 8hrs a day.

Hope you figure it out. working for free is not fun and working 12hrs a day without making overtime pay is not worth it. Go start your own company, set your own rates and don't look back.

ali#1
02-15-2014, 06:39 PM
What are you guys talking about?? Overtime?? Is there such a thing.lol
Been my own boss for too many years, worked too much construction and for too many farmers.
The guys I work with who are employees get paid double time. I believe after 8hrs a day.

Hope you figure it out. working for free is not fun and working 12hrs a day without making overtime pay is not worth it. Go start your own company, set your own rates and don't look back.

If everyone started their own company who would be the employees ?

casual observer
02-15-2014, 07:08 PM
If everyone started their own company who would be the employees ?

All the crybabies screaming about how wonderful unions are. I wish more people would start their own companies so they can see what it takes to run a profitable successful company while remaining competitive with other companies offering the same goods and services, and trying to be competitive with employee pay to retain the best available staff, all the while having your own investment at risk hinging on the success of your company. You know, nothing to it at all.

It would be eye opening for a lot of those crybabies for sure, and it wouldn't take long for them to realize how ridiculous their whining always was. Of course, based on comments here and elsewhere, it is easy to see who might have hope of a successful company and who would be tits up pretty quick. The guy I quoted, Pesky, TA and others come to mind.

ali#1
02-15-2014, 07:14 PM
All the crybabies screaming about how wonderful unions are. I wish more people would start their own companies so they can see what it takes to run a profitable successful company while remaining competitive with other companies offering the same goods and services, and trying to be competitive with employee pay to retain the best available staff, all the while having your own investment at risk hinging on the success of your company. You know, nothing to it at all.

It would be eye opening for a lot of those crybabies for sure, and it wouldn't take long for them to realize how ridiculous their whining always was. Of course, based on comments here and elsewhere, it is easy to see who might have hope of a successful company and who would be tits up pretty quick. The guy I quoted, Pesky, TA and others come to mind.

You never answered my question.

boonedocks
02-15-2014, 07:49 PM

Time and a half after 8, double time after ten hours, weekends are double time ! We set the pay standard and who
Do you think you are calling us "crybabies"?! Typical forum "tough guy". Yours in solidarity, 146, Boonedocks.

brownbomber
02-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Isn't that the nature of starting a company? Providing the best product that consumers want and everything that comes with it.

ali#1
02-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Time and a half after 8, double time after ten hours, weekends are double time ! We set the pay standard and who
Do you think you are calling us "crybabies"?! Typical forum "tough guy". Yours in solidarity, 146, Boonedocks.

Boilermakers :argue2:

rodgerskr
02-15-2014, 09:32 PM
From my understanding it is determined by the shift (contract) you agreed to. On a7-7 shift you would only get OT for the OT days worked not your regular shift days. So in you case you were paid correctly. I could be wrong, it has happened once before

troutbug
02-15-2014, 09:34 PM
From my understanding it is determined by the shift (contract) you agreed to. On a7-7 shift you would only get OT for the OT days worked not your regular shift days. So in you case you were paid correctly. I could be wrong, it has happened once before

would a guy not have to sign something that states how he will be paid?

brownbomber
02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Yeah I know guys that don't get ot and signed something regarding that, but I don't know the legalities around that. Same as course paybacks etc, you have to sign it to get dinged if you quit.

leeaspell
02-15-2014, 09:52 PM

purgatory.sv
02-15-2014, 09:53 PM

Pay for services done.
You work for someone.
Or you work.

The question was whether the services provided could be worth more.

Then the question was there conditions.

Nothing about union’s only possible standard

rodgerskr
02-15-2014, 10:03 PM
would a guy not have to sign something that states how he will be paid?

Your offer letter should have had your rate of pay and shift schedule. I have been on both sides of this situation, lot of things are covered in the general orientation, interview. Basically comes down to asking all questions up front which hardly anybody does, so that there is a clear understanding between you and your employer. Most employers have different pay rates, schedules and policy's it would be hard to gather info on other peoples experience and knowledge unless they worked for the same company.

marxman
02-16-2014, 06:45 AM

Your crybabying and whining about unions does that have anything to do with this thread? If the o.p. Was unionized he wouldnt be getting nickle and dimed out of overtime. My company is nonunion but after 8 hours we get overtime even if we have less than 40 hr. In the week. They do that because they want to pay well and keep it simple. I worked for outfits where people would worry what time of the pay period they arrived because they would get cheated out of there overtime sure its legal still a ripoff in my book.

Big Daddy Badger
02-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Good post:thinking-006:

Whinning. personal attacks and fingerpointing without actually saying anything at all that legitimised your position.
I'd like to add cherry picking and lying to that list since any comment about me must be refering to other threads.
This is the first comment that I have made in this one.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a struggle for you if your company had competent management and if you were not competeing with companies that drive not only wages but your profit margine down by taking advantage of cheap overseas labor.

I get a real kick out the guiys that claim organized labour, benefits etc is communism and then support the export of jobs to places like China.

Talk about cutting your own throat.

As for this situation... all I have to say is that...
People enter into different work places under different pay and benefit obligations.
The individual worker should be aware of what they are.

Overtime rules have always been somewhat different depending upon unique circumstances.

I would expect that overtime would typically be paid whenever a worker exceeds the hours he is scheduled to work in a week or a day and that the exact criteria would be explained to him when he was hired.

I have not collected overtime pay in almost 30 years so have little current personal knowledge to draw from but expect that nothing much has changed in that time either.

pseelk
02-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Alberta labour law rules,Regardless of what different rules management tries to force on workers.Found that out first hand.

solocam3
02-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Our regular shift was 12 hrs, days and nights and over the course of a month it averaged 2 hrs OT per week, which we got paid out in June or Dec. If you were called in for a 12 hr shift, it was 12 hours of double time. So it just depends what you signed on for and how the company treated you. We were none union.

mmars89
02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
I work a 7 and 7 in the thermal oil industry, south of fort mac. We work 7, 12 hour days, for a total of 84 hours. We get 80 straight time and 4 OT. This shift is considered a "compressed" work week based on an 80 hour (two 40 hour) work weeks, like a regular Monday-Friday 8 hour day gig. Anything over 80 hours per pay period is double time, call outs, staying late, working on your days off... All double time.

Been doing this for quite a few years with quite a few different companies and it's pretty much the same across the board. I think it's great, we get a full week off twice a month plus I make more than double what I would working the same job down south on a regular Mon-Fri schedule.

I live down south, they fly us up right to the plant and have a pretty decent camp that we live in, all in all, can't complain.

Mitch