PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing outboard

crudedude
10-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi all
I am going to winterize my outboard my self.Just one question talked to different people about the leg oil,I know you have to drain it all out but do you need to fill it back up or leave it empty for the winter.Thanks any answers would be great.:)

JBE
10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi all
I am going to winterize my outboard my self.Just one question talked to different people about the leg oil,I know you have to drain it all out but do you need to fill it back up or leave it empty for the winter.Thanks any answers would be great.:)

I always fill it again. I would think being empty it may collect condensation. Better to have all parts submerged in oil.

catnthehat
10-11-2008, 06:46 AM
My outboards get filled after they get drained every fall, thatt way you keep oil where it is supposed to be.
my inboard tank get filled and stabilizer added.....
Cat

cbanderson
10-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Crudedude make sure you fill the gear case full of oil, if you don't you will get condestion in the case and will rust all your bearings. Along with fuel stabilizer you should also fog your motor with fogging oil. You can get fogging oil from most boat dealers.

gitrdun
10-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Yes, you fill it up. And to make the job easier, Princess Auto has a little hand pump that fits on the oil can and has a hose with two threaded adaptors that fit the leg. It's in with the trailer bearings and axle section, it lists at $8.88 but I recently got mine for less than $5.00

What cbanderson said, you can get a kit which contains fogging oil & stabilizer from Cdn Tire. Plus remove your starter battery, charge it up good and bring it in a warm place. Voila, you've saved $300.00

OutwardBound
10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Another question about winterizing your outboard. I just did mine on Saturday, and no where in my owners manual did it say to drain any water from the engine block, and in searching around it looks like there is a self drain. It is a 2008 Mercury 50 ELPTO 2 stroke.

Just wondering if any one knows if there is water to drain that i missed or if i'm all good for the winter?
I did all the other stuff already, Lower unit oil change, fogging, fuel stabilizer, etc.

Dustin

gitrdun
10-13-2008, 05:10 PM
The cooling water just drains out of the leg Dustin, leave your outboard in the lowered position over the winter. Sounds as though you're good to go.