PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report - Chester Lake Snowshoeing

CheeseBurger
02-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Just a short trip yesterday to Chester Lake. Was a bit overcast but a good day! Get out there guys/girls!

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/tyler268/5607D4D4-F7E4-49B0-A828-530CA40AE65C.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/tyler268/430551BD-596F-42CF-8909-2646A7A08C72.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/tyler268/38DD4E1C-CF27-44C1-8A91-7FAD52092A76.jpg

The lake
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/tyler268/518AA8C2-8B42-4C98-B1A1-1FEBF0B21046.jpg

artie
02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
any guys up there tele skiing.that's one of my favorite spots. Instead of going back down the trail I go north and ski down through the trees. End up coming out a couple of km north of the parking lot.

CheeseBurger
02-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Saw people on AT gear and we had one in our group that was on AT too but did not see any tele gear. We accidentally went up the ski track as we had never been up there before and the snowshoe track up has very poor signage. None of us post holed once but both women in each couple we ran into felt it was necessary to be very snarky to us. :sHa_shakeshout: Wanted to tell them to stuff it but maintained diplomacy, barely. Lol :argue2:

artie
02-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Saw people on AT gear and we had one in our group that was on AT too but did not see any tele gear. We accidentally went up the ski track as we had never been up there before and the snowshoe track up has very poor signage. None of us post holed once but both women in each couple we ran into felt it was necessary to be very snarky to us. :sHa_shakeshout: Wanted to tell them to stuff it but maintained diplomacy, barely. Lol :argue2:

ya I know some guys on skis think they own the place. I always tell them if they are a good enough skier then snow shoe tracks won't bother them. I also though the ideal situation for skiing was when you made your own trail. I used to cross country ski in the Allison Creek area but now avoid it as they don't allow dogs in the area. I like getting on a skidoo track and follow it to a good powder area. Skidoo people seem to like dogs.

teledogs
02-16-2014, 06:29 PM
ya I know some guys on skis think they own the place. I always tell them if they are a good enough skier then snow shoe tracks won't bother them. I also though the ideal situation for skiing was when you made your own trail. I used to cross country ski in the Allison Creek area but now avoid it as they don't allow dogs in the area. I like getting on a skidoo track and follow it to a good powder area. Skidoo people seem to like dogs.

I know when I break a trail up hill and plan to do 5 or so tele runs its never fun to have to break trail again because your up track was destroyed by snowshoers. Making the up track rough renders skins useless.:sign0176:

Nice pics though.

CheeseBurger
02-16-2014, 06:44 PM
I know when I break a trail up hill and plan to do 5 or so tele runs its never fun to have to break trail again because your up track was destroyed by snowshoers. Making the up track rough renders skins useless.:sign0176:

Nice pics though.

It was not an ideal situation and we had no idea it was suppose to be only a ski track until we were informed by the skiiers. I have no issue being informed of where we should have been just that even after letting them know that it was an honest mistake they continued being snarky about it. As for making it useless, certainly makes it not as great but I wouldn't say useless. The AT skier in our group certainly didn't have an issue.

teledogs
02-16-2014, 07:22 PM
It was not an ideal situation and we had no idea it was suppose to be only a ski track until we were informed by the skiiers. I have no issue being informed of where we should have been just that even after letting them know that it was an honest mistake they continued being snarky about it. As for making it useless, certainly makes it not as great but I wouldn't say useless. The AT skier in our group certainly didn't have an issue.

There is a polite way to communicate, most telemarkers are polite. :)

Of course it depends on how rough & steep. On the flats no problem sharing but steep up hills require 100% skin contact. They were probably more upset because you had a skier with you & they assumed he/she should know better.

Keep the pics coming.

CheeseBurger
02-16-2014, 08:03 PM
These women were not telemarkers. :) Found it amusing that both male partner's tried to keep them quiet. Lol

Terrain was moderate, not steep or rough. :)

artie
02-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Funny thing happened to me one time going up to Chester. I was skiing uphill on wax not that steep and I heard this noise behind me. Next thing I knew I was passed by a guy on snowshoes. I kept thinking I would like to be that fit.

CheeseBurger
02-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Funny thing happened to me one time going up to Chester. I was skiing uphill on wax not that steep and I heard this noise behind me. Next thing I knew I was passed by a guy on snowshoes. I kept thinking I would like to be that fit.

That's pretty funny. :) Was he running? Some of those light small footprint snowshoes are pretty light but only good for well packed areas.

TreeGuy
02-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Great pics as always, CB. Thanks for posting. :)

I try hard to make my outings mid week just to avoid those who think they own the tracks in the snow or pools on the stream......

With that being said, I freakin' LOVE Chester! As a day tripper only (for now), that summit took me three tries over 4 years to make. Topping that little shoulder to the right is the toughest part as it's a scree grind. My bro and I topped out one day in mid August and had to prematurely bail from the tiny top due to a snow storm that SLAMMED us. Flakes were as big as my hand and you could feel them hit you. 10-12" in 30 minutes before we made the rain level of elevation. It's a BIG day trip.

CheeseBurger
02-17-2014, 12:45 PM
I try hard to make my outings mid week just to avoid those who think they own the tracks in the snow or pools on the stream......

That's why I'm in university for nursing! Can't wait to work weekends and have the week to play with out the hordes.

Hitting that summit would definitely be a big day hike!