PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is with George St Pierre??

1899b
02-16-2014, 05:14 PM
For a guy that had personal problems so important that he had to walk away and vacate his title, I can't believe the amount of jet setting he has been doing since. His Twitter sure shows the opposite of someone hanging low to take care of personal business. Lots of appearances, hanging out at the Super Bowl, and last night cornering Francis Carmont in Brazil.

He sure doesn't seem sincere to me in his reasons for giving up the title...

Donkey Oatey
02-16-2014, 05:17 PM
For a guy that had personal problems so important that he had to walk away and vacate his title, I can't believe the amount of jet setting he has been doing since. His Twitter sure shows the opposite of someone hanging low to take care of personal business. Lots of appearances, hanging out at the Super Bowl, and last night cornering Francis Carmont in Brazil.

He sure doesn't seem sincere to me in his reasons for giving up the title...

Huge difference between doing appearances and cornering vs. training and doing all that getting prepared to get punched in the face.

CaberTosser
02-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Simply wanting to avoid becoming punch-drunk like so many fighters before him would be enough reason.

Hilgy
02-16-2014, 05:22 PM
One thing to remember is that when he was training he was consumed by it. There is nothing half *****ed about him. There is a huge difference between that and just making a few appearances. Not nearly the commitment needed.

Personally I think he left at exactly the right time. He's still young enough to enjoy the life he has built for himself and didn't abuse his body to the point that he can't play with his kids when he has some.

I hated to see him walk away cause I enjoyed watching him fight but don't blame him one bit.

1899b
02-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Simply wanting to avoid becoming punch-drunk like so many fighters before him would be enough reason.

Punch drunk?? MMA fighters don't do 12 rounds of constant punches in the mellon. Punch drunk fighters would relate more to boxing. Much more prevalent in boxing. Georges would shoot and it would be the ever boring ground game. The only time he really got clocked was when Serra knocked his french ass out for a TKO and one the title. :sHa_shakeshout: I do think Hendricks showed GSP he isn't the best anymore....

Anyway, his reasons for leaving were due to personal problems according to him at the time but maybe more so he needed a break. I would have thought he would have taken a break from MMA all togther for at least a few months. Surprised to see him cornering last night is all.....:)

Wild&Free
02-16-2014, 05:48 PM
he's French, need more?

1899b
02-16-2014, 05:50 PM
he's French, need more?

HEY!!! I resemble that remark!!!! LOL :sHa_shakeshout:

riden
02-16-2014, 06:02 PM
he's French, need more?

Well......maybe.

Don't get me wrong, I think George is a great Canadian representative in sports. But I also think the guy is a little weird too. He is seems incredibly obsessive, maybe even OCD.

Mickey
02-16-2014, 06:04 PM
If anyone even bothered to read up on why he walked away, it is because he doesn't agree with the lax testing the UFC does.
Fighters are allowed to have 6x the normal testosterone level in the UFC. That is insane. He is making a statement by walking away.

1899b
02-16-2014, 06:20 PM
If anyone even bothered to read up on why he walked away, it is because he doesn't agree with the lax testing the UFC does.
Fighters are allowed to have 6x the normal testosterone level in the UFC. That is insane. He is making a statement by walking away.

Give me a break. So he corners a guy that is allowed to fight within those same realms he is supposedly protesting against? Not making much of a statement there. His ass got handed to him hardcore last fight and he doesn't want a rematch.....

CaberTosser
02-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Well......maybe.

Don't get me wrong, I think George is a great Canadian representative in sports. But I also think the guy is a little weird too. He is seems incredibly obsessive, maybe even OCD.

I once mail-ordered a sweatshirt that read " Does Obsessive Compulsive have a Hyphen?" I didn't wear it because the fabric was unsatisfactory....... :thinking-006:

1899b
02-16-2014, 06:41 PM
i once mail-ordered a sweatshirt that read " does obsessive compulsive have a hyphen?" i didn't wear it because the fabric was unsatisfactory....... :thinking-006:

lol!!!

Kurt505
02-16-2014, 06:43 PM

I haven't looked much into it, and even tho 1899b and I go waaaaaay back, I don't agree with you here buddy;)

I can see him still being a corner guy while bowing out of fighting, the part I don't get is why he's not being more vocal about it??? Does Dana posses mafia type status so is that nobody stands up at the table? Didn't Shane Shirk and Chael Sonnan get their pee pee slapped for roid use?

I guess if the sport really wants to become legit and take over boxing a place in the combat sports world, George has a legitimate point, and I wish him all the best in his plight. If John tested positive for roid use in their last fight, I think George is 100% in the right and Dana better get his act together and make this a legitimate sport. Is it fair George goes in clean against a roided up opponent?

tri777
02-17-2014, 06:03 PM
I wonder if my all time favorite/Spider, regrets not walking away..

Kurt505
02-17-2014, 06:04 PM
I wonder if my all time favorite/Spider, regrets not walking away..

I heard he's already training!

Wild&Free
02-17-2014, 06:08 PM
HEY!!! I resemble that remark!!!! LOL :sHa_shakeshout:

me too...

just glad I'm a mutt to water it down ;)

tri777
02-17-2014, 06:08 PM
I heard he's already training!

Well,that's great news!!..guess it's good he's has 8legs.

Buckhead
02-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Why wouldn't GSP walk away when he's on top?
Smartest thing to do if you ask me. He's got nothing left to prove.

Why stay in the game until someone steps in - gives him a beat down - and makes him look like a fool. Which is what a lot of older athletes end up doing.
Never could understand it.

1899b
02-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Why wouldn't GSP walk away when he's on top?
Smartest thing to do if you ask me. He's got nothing left to prove.

Why stay in the game until someone steps in - gives him a beat down - and makes him look like a fool. Which is what a lot of older athletes end up doing.
Never could understand it.

Huh? his last fight he experienced an amazing beat down from Hendricks. He lost that fight in a lot of people's opinions including Dana White who said so. An honourable champ would have given Hendricks a rematch or admit he should have lost that fight on the score cards. He walked away with his tail between his legs.

rosh
02-17-2014, 06:56 PM
To be the champ you gotta beat the champ. Not take him to the end. Sounds like your mad you didn't get your title shot with him?? Anyways he walked away and left the belt. That's his decision, should he have to fight till somebody beats the **** out of him and take belt?

Buckhead
02-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Huh? his last fight he experienced an amazing beat down from Hendricks. He lost that fight in a lot of people's opinions including Dana White who said so. An honourable champ would have given Hendricks a rematch or admit he should have lost that fight on the score cards. He walked away with his tail between his legs.

Dana White is there to make money for the UFC corporation.
He doesn't care what happens in the ring as long as people will [B]pay[B] to watch it.

brownbomber
02-17-2014, 07:24 PM

Word !!

TBark
02-17-2014, 07:33 PM
George knows he cannot win a rematch, simple. Time to walk.
Scorecard says he won. So he won his last fight, simple.
Like buckhead says, walk away, no sense getting whooped in your last fight.
Dana has no class, just wants to sell the card.

TBark

fish gunner
02-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Perhaps the cost of fighting was no longer worth the money . He is rich, he is humble, he is the best . Easy choice . George wins .

tri777
02-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Perhaps the cost of fighting was no longer worth the money . He is rich, he is humble, he is the best . Easy choice . George wins .

'Humble'=Yes!
'induces sleep while fighting'=Yes!
'Best'= Absolutly not!

fish gunner
02-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Humble=Yes!
induces sleep while fighting=Yes!

Our opinion off how he wins is of no concern, you do not like his style fair enough. cept of course he whooped all the guys with styles you do like .
Please point out better, matt seirra. Lololol .your mistakenly puting opinion in front of facts please show the 170lb guy with a better record as champ .

Mickey
02-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Cant argue with people that aren't willing to see both sides of it.

GSP won his last fight, whether you agree or not. He WON. I think that he won based on the criteria used for the judging of the fight. It isn't based on damage taken, it is based on a 10 point system and using that system he won the fight.

He has fought the best competition in the world for the last 5 years.

No other champion has had as many threats to his title as GSP has had in that time. You can call him a coward for walking away. You can call him whatever you want. He knew it was time for a break. He doesn't like the cheating going on in the sport.

In all likelihood he agreed to corner Carmont before he walked away, but he should boycott cornering one of his teammates because he has issues? He was a gentleman in every aspect when he walked away, he hasn't talked smack about the organization that made him a millionaire because he is respectful.

Too bad the armchair cowboys and the keyboard warriors can't do the same about one of the best athletes Canada has ever produced.

wildcat111
02-17-2014, 09:10 PM

GSP won his last fight, whether you agree or not. He WON. I think that he won based on the criteria used for the judging of the fight. It isn't based on damage taken, it is based on a 10 point system and using that system he won the fight.

No other champion has had as many threats to his title as GSP has had in that time. You can call him a coward for walking away. You can call him whatever you want. He knew it was time for a break. He doesn't like the cheating going on in the sport.

In all likelihood he agreed to corner Carmont before he walked away, but he should boycott cornering one of his teammates because he has issues? He was a gentleman in every aspect when he walked away, he hasn't talked smack about the organization that made him a millionaire because he is respectful.

Too bad the armchair cowboys and the keyboard warriors can't do the same about one of the best athletes Canada has ever produced.

amen!!!!

roper1
02-17-2014, 09:24 PM

Well said

purgatory.sv
02-17-2014, 09:47 PM
I believe it could be part of his contract?

He is probably still employed by the company.

I do believe is good.