PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie about tent trailers

wayne_kenoff
02-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Hey everyone, im a newbie to the site and I am about to begin researching what to look for in buying a tent trailer. I have been tenting my whole life and would like to make an upgrade. I am not very knowledgeable about brands, sizes or what to look for so im hoping I could get some help here. I need it to sleep three or four and would like it to have a working heat source. Could I maybe get some tips or pointers around what to look for? thank you very much!!!

SteyrSSG
02-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Hi;
Our family has been using a tent trailer for quite some time. We have a 12ft Rockwood with a front storage compartment. I would recommend if you are looking to purchase used, to always look for a "3 way" fridge (ie. propane, or 12volt, or 110volt power) And, heated mattresses:) Also, an awning that allows a screened room is advantageous when you have little ones.

wayne_kenoff
02-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Thank you for the info!! With my budget...im not sure heated mattresses or extra awnings are something that's a deal breaker.....but I really like the idea of the 3way, sounds like it would be the most efficient way to go. What year is your Rockwood?

riden
02-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Whats your tow vehicle?

Mr Conservation
02-16-2014, 10:48 PM
I purchased a Jayco tent trailer in 2010. Had it on several trips and have never had a problem with it. It is the small version, which comfortably sleeps 4, although there are only usually two of us. It has the 3 way fridge, furnace, and several other options.

I chose Jayco for a couple of reasons:

1. From all the research I did, including reading many reviews, :test: I felt Jayco to be the best bang for my buck.

2. The dealer is only 10 minutes down the road from me. If I ever have a major issue, it is not far to the service department.

I chose the small trailer as my tow vehicle is a Chev Colorado. The Colorado tows the trailer quite comfortably, and I haven't noticed a great difference in gas mileage.

I do plan on replacing my Colorado later this year, possibly with a Tacoma. :) This will give me more towing power, and the option of moving up to a bigger trailer in the future.

Good luck in your search !!

Mr Conservation

riden
02-17-2014, 08:30 AM
I purchased a Jayco tent trailer in 2010. Had it on several trips and have never had a problem with it. It is the small version, which comfortably sleeps 4, although there are only usually two of us. It has the 3 way fridge, furnace, and several other options.

I chose Jayco for a couple of reasons:

1. From all the research I did, including reading many reviews, :test: I felt Jayco to be the best bang for my buck.

2. The dealer is only 10 minutes down the road from me. If I ever have a major issue, it is not far to the service department.

I chose the small trailer as my tow vehicle is a Chev Colorado. The Colorado tows the trailer quite comfortably, and I haven't noticed a great difference in gas mileage.

I do plan on replacing my Colorado later this year, possibly with a Tacoma. :) This will give me more towing power, and the option of moving up to a bigger trailer in the future.

Good luck in your search !!

Mr Conservation

I am presently looking at a hybrid/expandable trailer and plan to buy this summer. I will second the Jayco quality, I'll be buying a Jayco for sure.

Selkirk
02-17-2014, 10:53 AM
We're empty nesters now, and have moved up to a medium sized hard-side trailer, but we had a 12' Coleman tent trailer for over 15 years. Some of our best family memories were with it.

Lots of good suggestions here. Note that most newer tent trailers do have a 3-way fridge. If you're buying used, just make sure it still works on all three ways.

There are several different floor plans available, especially if you're looking at some of the larger tent trailers. I prefer the ones with a large storage area (trunk) in front ... otherwize you always struggle with packing and unpacking, and many things end up having to be crammed in the tow vehicle.

To get the best price, try to do your purchasing in the fall or early winter. Generally, you pay the highest prices in the 'high-season' (spring & summer).

:sign0111:

Mac

riden
02-17-2014, 11:30 AM
MacLeod is dead on about the storage compartment in the front, these trailers would be a real PITA without that. You really can't store enough inside them otherwise.

I had Coleman Cheyenne for years and towed it with a Caravan. I felt i was completely maxed out.

Going back to my question about your tow vehicle?

SteyrSSG
02-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Thank you for the info!! With my budget...im not sure heated mattresses or extra awnings are something that's a deal breaker.....but I really like the idea of the 3way, sounds like it would be the most efficient way to go. What year is your Rockwood?

Our trailer is a 2003. If you decide to purchase used, check all the outer seams for the condition of the caulking. If it is in good shape then you can be confident that no water has gotten inside. Also, check the floor at the entrance door for any sponginess. Most of the trailers use OSB as their underlay and if any moisture gets through you will know in a hurry.