PDA

View Full Version : keithA

keithA
10-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi All;

My son likes fishing from his canoe on small lakes and I was looking at getting him a Minn Kota electric motor for Christmas, as they have a Can Tire where he lives.

Know very little about them and was wondering if anyone out there has some suggestions re what would work best for a canoe, features to look for, features to avoid.

jesse34567
10-10-2008, 04:40 PM
min kota endura is a safe bet i would get a 36 lb thrust or anytihng above that well work well

tonyflyfish
10-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Minn Kota Maxima 40lb on a 16 ft and it might be to much! I use a bracket that hangs it off the side at the back. The Maxima has infinite speed settings vs the Endura which clicks from one to the next. They say the Maxima is better but????????? who knows! If the canoe does not have a keel (river canoe) I seriously suggest less than 40 lb.

You are a good Dad!!!!!!!
T

johnny2
10-11-2008, 02:38 AM
Cnd. Tire has had a Maxxim 33t on sale for a while $279.00 ish ? Bought one this spring , can't say enough good about it---My batt. life is 4 x longer than when I had my old Minn Kota 35, the Maxxim feature really works !!! It's a shorter shaft--30 "-- has all the thrust for small lakes, small boats, a batt. life gauge, tilt handle, infinate forw. & rev. speeds, very quiet ----- I Luv It !:love:

slickinfinite
10-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Lookin at this thread I think I just found the perfect way to fish in my area (canmore). I honestly never heard of a electric motor on a canoe but I am a novice fisherman at best (hopes to change that). Going to get myself a nice canoe and preferably the 40lb motor mentioned!