PDA

View Full Version : Buy-Sell Etiquette Question

Mudzbogger
02-17-2014, 06:38 PM
I need some help here on my Buy-Sell Etiquette here. I joined this board to in order to contact a long time member (low poster) who had a used rifle for sale.
I was able to connect with this member and exchange a number of emails and we were mutually able to negotiate a price.

I needed a couple things satisfied, the serial (to do a CPIC check) and his contact details of a place to meet to pick up the rifle as I do not purchase things sight unseen, and I dont purchase any firearms that have been stolen. The member indicated that he would provide this information when he got home. A number of days goes by and nothing, so I send him another message saying its not urgent but If things are still a go, I need this information sooner rather than later as I'm coming to Alberta in a week. A few more days pass and nothing and I now need to plan my agenda to include the pickup this rifle so I again send a note both in system and out saying I need this information if things are still a go asap as I need to plan my trip, again nothing. I check and see if member has logged on so I know he has seen the messages. So I wait some more.

Finnally I decide enough is enough a contact a moderator and let them know what has happened and indicated with the line going silent this could be a possible fraudulent/stolen firearm. I also sent a note to the member indicating what I have done and why.

Low and behold I get an almost instant response from the member stating that I was the one that was being impatient although he stated he was infact still shopping it around to the highest bidder whereas he could have just stated that at beginning.

Was I infact the probem?

chewydog
02-17-2014, 06:49 PM
I need some help here on my Buy-Sell Etiquette here. I joined this board to in order to contact a long time member (low poster) who had a used rifle for sale.
I was able to connect with this member and exchange a number of emails and we were mutually able to negotiate a price.

I needed a couple things satisfied, the serial (to do a CPIC check) and his contact details of a place to meet to pick up the rifle as I do not purchase things sight unseen, and I dont purchase any firearms that have been stolen. The member indicated that he would provide this information when he got home. A number of days goes by and nothing, so I send him another message saying its not urgent but If things are still a go, I need this information sooner rather than later as I'm coming to Alberta in a week. A few more days pass and nothing and I now need to plan my agenda to include the pickup this rifle so I again send a note both in system and out saying I need this information if things are still a go asap as I need to plan my trip, again nothing. I check and see if member has logged on so I know he has seen the messages. So I wait some more.

Finnally I decide enough is enough a contact a moderator and let them know what has happened and indicated with the line going silent this could be a possible fraudulent/stolen firearm. I also sent a note to the member indicating what I have done and why.

Low and behold I get an almost instant response from the member stating that I was the one that was being impatient although he stated he was infact still shopping it around to the highest bidder whereas he could have just stated that at beginning.

Was I infact the probem?

Nope, I'd say the seller was being rather sleazy! Take note and not deal with them anymore.

Big Daddy Badger
02-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Yes and no.

The seller doesn't seem like anyone that I'd like to do bussiness with but then again... I'm not sure that I'd like to do bussiness with someone that jumps to the conclusion that I'm a thief because I don't jump through hoops or set my watch by his schedule either.

6gunner
02-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Please tell me how you can do a CPIC check. I did not believe that the average Canadian could do that.

Ruger1022
02-17-2014, 06:55 PM
I personally don't sell any firearms to anyone that has no posts and just joined the site, 9/10 it's a scam.

Dacotensis
02-17-2014, 07:06 PM
I personally don't sell any firearms to anyone that has no posts and just joined the site, 9/10 it's a scam.

Bang on buddy.

I would not necessarily be skeptical, but my spidey senses would be on high alert and I would not be jumping to it to satisfy a member of your stature.
Sorry, but that's just me.

Now, take a member that has been around for a year or more who participates here, then I would be more inclined.

To be fair, I have done lots of deals with members who have 3 or 10 posts over their many years here and have had no problems.

What is a cpic check?

How will you be able to tell if a firearm is stolen? Unless it's stolen from a store, or a police report was made?

As for the mods getting involved in this one????

tri777
02-17-2014, 07:06 PM
If it were me,i'd have said to myself;
"is this really the last gun in the world
that i must kickNsnort blowing a horn or two.."
followed by a big 'ol fat

"N-ope!"

Mudzbogger
02-17-2014, 07:11 PM
There are all kinds of variables when dealing with new people to a board and I hear you with the low post count. I could post 30 thing of my cats or funny jokes to get it up but who are we kidding this a real thing out there where many people get taken.

Did I jump to calling him a thief, maybe but I kept it to a single moderator as a possible issue so someone would potentially be aware. The seller did himself no favours by going silent, which is a key sign of a fraudulent activity when a specific piece of information is being requested (serial number)

This is how you do a cpic check: <http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm>

Mudzbogger
02-17-2014, 07:21 PM
If it were me,i'd have said to myself;
"is this really the last gun in the world
that i must kickNsnort blowing a horn or two.."
followed by a big 'ol fat

"N-ope!"

Lol, no its not there are others out there. I've been a member of other forums for a long time, some a short time (hunting bc, firearms canada, canadiangunnutz, etc) Never tried to purchase a used one before just read lots looked for what I wanted, knew the going rates etc.

But whats your point.. I'm looking for pointers not naming names but he knows who he is.

Kurt505
02-17-2014, 07:24 PM
There are all kinds of variables when dealing with new people to a board and I hear you with the low post count. I could post 30 thing of my cats or funny jokes to get it up but who are we kidding this a real thing out there where many people get taken.

Did I jump to calling him a thief, maybe but I kept it to a single moderator as a possible issue so someone would potentially be aware. The seller did himself no favours by going silent, which is a key sign of a fraudulent activity when a specific piece of information is being requested (serial number)

You got cats?

Now the red flags are really flapping.

hal53
02-17-2014, 07:29 PM

so, I think the real story here is, you had a gun stolen, saw one the same advertised???, wanted to check it out????

Mudzbogger
02-17-2014, 07:33 PM
so, I think the real story here is, you had a gun stolen, saw one the same advertised???, wanted to check it out????

Negatory.. Im looking for a Sako Finnlight 270WSM or 300WSM. But I can see how you would read that into it.

tri777
02-17-2014, 07:33 PM
But whats your point.. .

That Guns are not worth all you have
gone thru in the past week(s)
is my point and that if someone gives me
the silent treatment,i have no issues whatsoever
in setting out a new course/item to buy.

Puma
02-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Lets hear one of your jokes, if its really funny. While your at it, please list your location on your profile.

:test:

abwtfanatic
02-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Because the seller did not communicate with you when you wanted him to you accuse him of being a thief?? Or did I miss something?

Mudzbogger
02-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Lets hear one of your jokes, if its really funny. While your at it, please list your location on your profile.

:test:

I dont do jokes very well hence low post counts here and elsewhere as I only say whats on my mind, but location updated lol

CanuckShooter
02-17-2014, 07:51 PM
I would have just found someone else to make a deal with....those are the kind of guys that will sell out from under you if they can get a dollar more from someone else before you show up.

hal53
02-17-2014, 07:57 PM
I would have just found someone else to make a deal with....those are the kind of guys that will sell out from under you if they can get a dollar more from someone else before you show up.
....or hang onto the gun for another week or more, cause 'I'll take it", doesn't = I will show up

Ken07AOVette
02-17-2014, 08:06 PM
I was unaware that we had changed to an auction format. Anyone that says he is waiting for a higher bidder is either f.o.s. and possibly doing something shady, or simply trying to get top dollar by someone local?

Mudzbogger
02-17-2014, 08:06 PM
....or hang onto the gun for another week or more, cause 'I'll take it", doesn't = I will show up

Seller has to provide contact details in order to show up right?

lone wolf
02-17-2014, 08:13 PM

How could it be a scam if they provided a valid (scanned) copy of their PAL and EMT deposited full payment prior to shipping ? If they were the seller, then yes my senses would be tingling ....... if I had $$ in the bank and a copy of their PAL I wouldn't give a fart !!

To the OP ..... just my opinion ........ while I appreciate your concern(s) I think you are going overboard.

IF the seller was playing the field and looking for more money I would tell them to "lick my hairy strawberries" and go buy the gun elsewhere.

Mickey
02-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Just wait, the seller will get tired of 15 lowballers in a row asking for things that are ridiculous and then will not sell things here anymore.

teledogs
02-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Move on to next rifle...

6gunner
02-17-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks, I learned something new.

http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm>

elkhunter11
02-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Once you have agreed on a price, and confirmed that you will take the item, a deal has been made. At that point, you mark your ad SPF, and respond to any other inquiries that are sent, that the item is sold.. If you only agree to look at the item, but have not committed to purchase it, no deal has been made, and the seller is free to sell it to anyone else.

Skybuster
02-17-2014, 10:37 PM
This is in poor taste and against forum rules.

But I think you came here to stir up chit and don't give a rats ass wether your username gets banned.

There should be a one week waiting period to sign up on AO

I don't understand your "poor taste" comment. I don't see anything out of sorts with the OPs post. He is defending his actions by explaining what he sent. He is not posting the sellers name.

I also don't understand what rules he is breaking - though I confess I haven't read all the rules. I would like to know what rules are being broken however; to ensure I don't make the same mistake.

To the original OP: I think you acted hastily. I am guessing your post to the moderator was after about 5 days to a week. Frustrating yes, but to suggest to a moderator that someone may be selling stolen guns? Pretty extreme and pretty fast to jump. Some guys, myself included may go 5 days or more without signing on. Still I do sympathize with you, not getting a response can be very aggravating, particularly when you have a deadline. But you need to remember, it is your deadline, not the sellers. Hopefully your next transaction goes smoother.

Big Daddy Badger
02-17-2014, 10:48 PM
This is in poor taste and against forum rules.

But I think you came here to stir up chit and don't give a rats ass wether your username gets banned. There should be a one week waiting period to sign up on AO

I think so as well.

7 Posts at this time and every one of them in this thread.

I'm starting to think that we should ask for this one to be moved to the fishing section.

Mudzbogger
02-17-2014, 10:50 PM
I also don't understand what rules he is breaking - though I confess I haven't read all the rules. I would like to know what rules are being broken however; to ensure I don't make the same mistake.

You are not allowed to quote pms in this forum it is frowned upon so don't do it. These messages however were not PM's there were sent from an external mail system from myself to the seller so close to the line but not across.

BeeGuy
02-17-2014, 10:59 PM
It is disappointing when you find the right item at the right price but the seller can not communicate clearly or there are other issues.

I operate on the one strike rule. Any sign the seller is a flake, can not communicate clearly or answer simple questions and I move on.

There are enough good sellers out there that I don't spend an extra second dealing with the poor ones.

Probably 1 in 7 are useful on kijiji.

sailor
02-17-2014, 11:11 PM
It is disappointing when you find the right item at the right price but the seller can not communicate clearly or there are other issues.

I operate on the one strike rule. Any sign the seller is a flake, can not communicate clearly or answer simple questions and I move on.

There are enough good sellers out there that I don't spend an extra second dealing with the poor ones.

Probably 1 in 7 are useful on kijiji.
How can he follow your advice if according to your I trader rating BeeGuy you have not bought anything yet

:confused:

BeeGuy
02-17-2014, 11:17 PM
According to your I trader rating BeeGuy you have not bought anything yet

:confused:

Seller failed to fill it out.

I fail to see how that relates to my post anyhow.

BeeGuy
02-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Note to self: Don't deal with Sailor.

Kurt505
02-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Note to self: Don't deal with Sailor.

I'll vouch for Sailor, sold him a gun with no problems, met him face to face, great guy.

Bee, I'll sell you a bridge just to get your trader rating going ;)

Big Daddy Badger
02-17-2014, 11:36 PM
I'll vouch for Sailor, sold him a gun with no problems, met him face to face, great guy.

Bee, I'll sell you a bridge just to get your trader rating going ;)

What will you live under then Kurt?:sHa_shakeshout:

Just kidding...

Yeah... sailor is a stand-up guy...salt of the earth.

Kurt505
02-17-2014, 11:38 PM
What will you live under then Kurt?:sHa_shakeshout:

Just kidding...

Yeah... sailor is a stand-up guy...salt of the earth.

I'll just find another one, duh!

BeeGuy
02-17-2014, 11:57 PM
You guys are too funny.

Flanny
02-18-2014, 12:05 AM
CPIC is only for LE checks.
I do think that just because this guy wasn't responding doesn't mean he is a thief.

Big Daddy Badger
02-18-2014, 12:07 AM
You guys are too funny.

Funny haha or the other funny?:sign0080:

Mudzbogger
02-18-2014, 12:31 AM
CPIC is only for LE checks.
I do think that just because this guy wasn't responding doesn't mean he is a thief.

CPIC is LE, but follow the link and you will see there is a public portion available for certain items.

You are correct it does not mean he is thief, it was advised to the moderator as a caution to a potential fraudulent activity. The seller however maintains he has the rifle and was still shopping it around so that part is a non issue now.

sailor
02-18-2014, 09:41 AM
CPIC is LE, but follow the link and you will see there is a public portion available for certain items.

You are correct it does not mean he is thief, it was advised to the moderator as a caution to a potential fraudulent activity. The seller however maintains he has the rifle and was still shopping it around so that part is a non issue now.
Keep posting.You still need 12 more posts to post in sell buy section.