PDA

View Full Version : vacation ideas for this summer

troutbug
02-17-2014, 10:50 PM
My wife and two little girls have never seen the ocean and I would like to change that. Last time I was on the island was many years ago in Tofino Nanaimo and parksville.

I was wondering where a good place to go with 2 girls aged 3 and 5 would be?

I want them to collect shells and such like I did when I was young.

It would have to be in BC as im not looking to go out of the country.

Any ideas of places to go with the family would be appreciated.

Thanks

Troutbug

rena0040
02-17-2014, 11:05 PM
2 summers ago my girls were the same age, we went to tofino and they still talk about it. we rented a house just outside of town which had beach access and when the tide was out we'd spend hours looking in the tide pools.
the ucluelet aquarium is also a great day spent.

this is the place we rented, nice people and the place was spotless with plenty of firewood and propane for the bbq

http://www.vrbo.com/554122

troutbug
02-17-2014, 11:17 PM
2 summers ago my girls were the same age, we went to tofino and they still talk about it. we rented a house just outside of town which had beach access and when the tide was out we'd spend hours looking in the tide pools.
the ucluelet aquarium is also a great day spent.

this is the place we rented, nice people and the place was spotless with plenty of firewood and propane for the bbq

http://www.vrbo.com/554122

Hey right on, thats the kind of thing we are looking for

rena0040
02-17-2014, 11:21 PM
it was great, when the tide was in theres about 100 yard private beach and when it goes out it jions up with tonquin beach.

side note, hooked up with a couple salmon from shore and lost them in the surf while landing them on the beach, if you like fishing.

jcrayford
02-18-2014, 08:19 AM
My wife and two little girls have never seen the ocean and I would like to change that. Last time I was on the island was many years ago in Tofino Nanaimo and parksville.

I was wondering where a good place to go with 2 girls aged 3 and 5 would be?

I want them to collect shells and such like I did when I was young.

It would have to be in BC as im not looking to go out of the country.

Any ideas of places to go with the family would be appreciated.

Thanks

Troutbug

Been to Parksville for 9-10 years straight, until we bought our 5th wheel. We always stayed at Rathtrevor Provincial Park (just tented it) because the facilities in the park are top notch. 5 minute walk to north shore where snorkeling will get you up close and personal with all kinds of marine life. 5 minute walk to east shore where the tide goes out 3/4 mile and tidal pools are everywhere for the kids.

In-laws started coming for the last couple of years as well and so with 10 of us, it was just fantastic. Adults could go one way, kids another and no worries about either. Lots of kid friendly activities both at the park, and in town as well.... (You're there for the kids enjoyment)....

Reserve Rathtrevor online, but be on the ball about it because the reservation system will take up to 3 months in advance bookings. I tried several times to get sites for a specific date 2 years ago and had to move my vacation forward by a week just to get a reservation at the park.

Victoria is only a short car ride away, and if you go north to Comox/Courtney it can be done in a day as well. For the kids, Rathtrevor is the place...

We've had the best luck with weather last week of July/first week of August.

J.

birdee
02-18-2014, 09:02 AM
parksville also has the sand castle contest during the summer.The kids will love it.
http://www.parksvillebeachfest.ca/cms.asp?wpID=17

thumper
02-18-2014, 06:50 PM
If the kids are into nature, you might want to check out Botany Bay near Victoria. There's short 'family friendly' trails along the sea-shore with tons of tidal pools to watch starfish, hermit crabs and other tidal life.
Be sure to hit it at low tide, and bring along a zip-lock bag to hold your critters while you 'catch & release'.

fish gunner
02-18-2014, 07:28 PM
I rented a truck& camper to take my girl and an ex's boys to the sunshine coast . No schedule no time table, ease of movement stay where you find something of interest . Took 10 days every one happy, educated and entertained . Crabing, rock crawling, sailing and beaches fishing was a bounus. :)