PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Cabin

FreeLantz
02-18-2014, 08:18 AM
So I have stumbled into an opportunity. A couple good friends of mine found some remote land for sale and want to team up to buy it together, with the eventual usage to be determined as a hunting/camping spot. It's a very good deal for land, much less than a grand an acre, and the seller is having issues selling as it has no road access. That suits us just perfect, as keeping out the rif-raf is top priority. Access is still an issue as I would like to bring my boys out, and hauling 3 kids, plus all their junk through the bush, just sucks.

There is about 200 yards of crown bush on one side off a road, a creek bordering another side that has private land all bush across the creek, and the remaining sides are private lands, all bush.

My question to you knowledgeable people is if there is any legal ramifications to cutting a quad trail through the crown side? The private lands has a couple pipelines that crisscross through it, and I'm thinking if we show up on the land owners doorstep with a bottle, he would grant us permission to use the pipeline with quads or a small truck, but I don't want to rely on this %100, because who knows if he might sell in the future or what.

Also, we want to build a smallish trapping/hunting/camping cabin, maybe 20x20, an outhouse obviously and a small shed for now. We aren't going to bother with permits or things of that nature, the place is pretty secluded and we are willing to take the risk. I've never built a bush cabin, and if any of you resourceful folks out there have any tips about what to look for in terms of building materials and just general ideas, let me know!

I'm pretty excited at this opportunity.:sHa_shakeshout: We have had hunting camps on crown lands in the past, and the result was less than spectacular. We want to do things right this time.

Thanks in advance!

50/50
02-18-2014, 09:56 AM
If this is Alberta green zone , you can get a License of occupation (LOC) to get across crown land . This would give you the right to improve it and control access at a modest cost . Used to be $ 50 /year.

FreeLantz
02-18-2014, 10:06 AM
If this is Alberta green zone , you can get a License of occupation (LOC) to get across crown land . This would give you the right to improve it and control access at a modest cost . Used to be $ 50 /year.

Alberta green zone? The property is north and east of Edson, near Niton junction, sorta. If that helps.
$50? Thats great news!

Jamie
02-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Ahhhhhh

That's a dream situation.
20x20 seems small.
How are you going to get your building materials into the site?
No road allowances?
Are you thinking Gen set for power?

When this was on my Radar, I was concerned with theft. My solution was a root cellar to store everything.

You can easily make a shower house. With a small pump and a old water heater. You heat the water with a wood stove and let gravity take over. Or use the pump instead.

I would find a way to allow access through private land. Every trail you build will invite people in. If its not as easily seen, you might have fewer problems.

Great project!
Jamie

antlercarver
02-18-2014, 11:11 AM
If you move your building supplies in winter time, when the snow melts and
vegetation comes in, there will be almost no trail visible. This can be done over a few years. Then you make a walk in trail from where ever you want.
If chosen location is real difficult, like across river on top of cliff, chopper your material in. The hutterites bought several farms, one had a nice barn they wanted moved. The bother and expense of trucking was more than hiring a large chopper, which flew the barn in less than one hour of chopper rent.

CanuckShooter
02-18-2014, 11:35 AM
It is a good idea to get the proper permits if they are required too. Tried that once when we were young and foolish and they made my life hell for a while. :)

7mmremmag
02-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Me and my hunting partner bought 4 acres bordering tons of crown land almost 2 years ago. We have a 12x24 main cabin with a 12x12 bedroom on the back. Put two sets of twin bunk beds in the back. We sided, insulated/vapour barrier etc. We also wired ours for generator and my 2000watt honda does it perfectly. Our wood stove keeps it toasty even in -40.
All said and done we are into it for 45,000$, that being said it is the best investment I have ever made. Theres simply nothing like going to a hunting camp. We hauled campers all over the province for years, its nice to be grounded in one spot. Plus we did our research and the area has great hunting.
Knock on wood theft hasnt been a problem yet for us. I even left my side by side there from August to November. Theres no doubt in my mind that someday we will get broken into, but we do our part and blanket over the windows and dont leave anything in plain view.
I cant wait to pass it on to my kid, even though shes only a month old LOL:sHa_shakeshout:

CanuckShooter
02-18-2014, 12:30 PM
I was googling one day and came across a site that showed how they had modified some of those sea going containers into cabins and houses.

One that really caught my eye had the side cut out so it could be lowered like a draw bridge. When it was lowered you had windows and glass doors, the lowered part of the wall formed a deck space. The beauty of this design was you could secure it from the inevitable vandals with a very good solid steel door. If a cabin was in my cards, I would seriously look into this.

http://homeinabox.blogspot.ca/2011/04/container-home_3553.html

Sort of like in the link

TBark
02-18-2014, 12:47 PM
We are starting our second cabin now on our quarter, 2 family owners.
Same situation as you, no access, and this is the key, as no permits are required based on that.
We have to get through 2-300 yds of low spots, and at times seasonally, our trucks cannot get in.
Cabin base is 16x32, 8 ft of that is deck.
The only thing the County wanted us to ensure in cabin was min 140ft off boundary fence line.
Your County rules may be different tho.

TBark

FreeLantz
02-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Ahhhhhh

That's a dream situation.
20x20 seems small.
How are you going to get your building materials into the site?
No road allowances?
Are you thinking Gen set for power?

When this was on my Radar, I was concerned with theft. My solution was a root cellar to store everything.

You can easily make a shower house. With a small pump and a old water heater. You heat the water with a wood stove and let gravity take over. Or use the pump instead.

I would find a way to allow access through private land. Every trail you build will invite people in. If its not as easily seen, you might have fewer problems.

Great project!
Jamie

Yeah, I am very excited to see this through. Like it's all I think about lol.

We thought we would start small, seeing as how it will be tough to get materials in. Over time, it will be expanded as our wallets and time frame allow, just like 7mm mentioned about a smaller bedroom in the back. I imagine we would start with small gen sets, and move up to solar over time. We haven't discussed that much yet. I'd like to hear more about this root cellar idea..... And I love the shower idea. Build it off the cabin so it's heated, maybe pipe off the stove to heat the water. I like it.

Canuckshooter: I had seen those too, they look great! Unfortunately I don't see how we could get a couple sea cans in to the location without a helicopter.

If we can go through private land, it's not a big deal, just a matter of cutting through the bush a few hundred feet off a pipeline and skidding everything in by quad or argo. But that is far from certain, so worst case, we have to cut through the crown bit. That side of the property is fairly marshy though, so it would be a challenge.

There is no road allowances through the property at all.....which is perfect. No easements either. I wish I could post an aerial picture to make my situation more clear, but it all hasn't quite fallen into place financially, and I don't want it scooped lol. I'll say this through, it's 24 acres of pure paradise, in my mind anyway. We've hunted in the area for 10 years, and we are confident it's a good place to set up camp.

As far as permits go, we talked to the county and as long as it's under 800 square feet, we can call it something other than a dwelling and because it's zoned as recreational, we don't need a permit for a "shed". So that's what we are calling it lol. As a matter of fact, no permit can be issued for a dwelling that does not have a road allowance to the property line, just as Tbark mentioned.

Moving materials in winter might be the way to go, other than that's when most traffic will be heading through the area....hunters, surveys ect. So we wanted to do it maybe late spring or summer. But you make a valuable point about visible trails. Mud trails last, snow trails last only until the next snowfall. Tbark: how do you cover your trails? Or do you have it gated?

I'm so glad people on here get what our purpose is, about having a grounded hunting camp in a secluded area, with no road allowance or services. My wife, and most people I've talked to about this, thinks I'm crazy lol. I know myself, my hunting buddies, and my boys will appreciate it for years though. Thanks for all your input! I could keep going about this stuff for days lol.Great stuff boys keep it up!

:)

7mmremmag
02-18-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm so glad people on here get what our purpose is, about having a grounded hunting camp in a secluded area, with no road allowance or services. My wife, and most people I've talked to about this, thinks I'm crazy lol. I know myself, my hunting buddies, and my boys will appreciate it for years though. Thanks for all your input! I could keep going about this stuff for days lol.Great stuff boys keep it up!

:)

Some people never get it lol.
My old lady hates the idea of it and never wants to go to the hunting camp, which is perfect in my books.
Just think of the memories you and your friends, family and most importantly your children will have there.

brother1
02-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Might want to check out Knotty Pine Cabins, they have a modular panel solution, and you can assemble it onsite, finish it off in whatever stage you choose. Or other SIPS panel building solutions would work good as well, Knotty pine just has more of a rustic look to it.

Falko
02-18-2014, 02:44 PM
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/index.html

Stinky Buffalo
02-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Might want to check out Knotty Pine Cabins, they have a modular panel solution, and you can assemble it onsite, finish it off in whatever stage you choose. Or other SIPS panel building solutions would work good as well, Knotty pine just has more of a rustic look to it.

Definitely, their systems are something I would consider when Incredigirl and I take the plunge on a rec. property.

Here's a link to their price list (http://knottypinecabins2-px.rtrk.ca/cabin-sizes).

Good luck on your project! Sounds like a great opportunity.

densa44
02-18-2014, 07:10 PM
The province may lease you the land bordering your land, then they get some revenue. You may be able to clear a path/cut line and sell the timber, this has happened before. As far as the riff raff is concerned , you can't keep them off the crown land but you can post your land.

Have fun!