PDA

View Full Version : Prank goes horribly and tragically wrong.

north american hunter
02-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Crazy.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/17/us/arkansas-prank-death/index.html?c=us

CheeseBurger
02-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Brutal. That makes me sick to my stomach.

Wild&Free
02-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Charged with terrorism as well, that's disturbing.

Kurt505
02-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Reminds me of wiebo ludwigs place

Rockman
02-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Stupid use of a gun... shouldn't get to have one.

Wild&Free
02-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Stupid use of a gun... shouldn't get to have one.

Don't people have the right to protect their property from vandals?

Okotokian
02-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Shooter might get convicted of murder. It's not Florida and he's black.

Unlike Zimmrman or Dunn, he didn't have the usual accepted excuse to fear for his life when he saw a black teen.

Okotokian
02-18-2014, 11:01 AM

the right to kill someone who toilet-papers your car... hmmmm... Lemme think about that one. Or rings your doorbell and runs away.

Bound2Fish
02-18-2014, 11:04 AM
the right to kill someone who toilet-papers your car... hmmmm... Lemme think about that one. Or rings your doorbell and runs away.

What about flaming dog poo? I agree with Oko here, the force he responded with was not warranted. Such a shame.

Mekanik
02-18-2014, 11:13 AM
"Prank gone wrong" would be she got shaving cream in her eye after spraying it somewhere.

Shooting at a fleeing car is an over reaction to the situation.

RedLabel
02-18-2014, 11:14 AM

Ding Dong - .. No one at the door,

Ding Dong - ... No one again..... que sound of kids laughing from the bushes

Ding Dong - ...12 Guage?

I don't think we're on the same page Wild...

Wild&Free
02-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Most definitely an over reaction, but hind sight is 20/20. When you live in a nation such as the US where guns are everywhere you don't walking into a situation without a reasonable deterrent.

CaberTosser
02-18-2014, 11:17 AM
I think Wild is by himself on this one, but he probably doesn't get those pesky Jehovah's Witnesses or Girl Guides stopping through anymore! :lol:

Wild&Free
02-18-2014, 11:19 AM
I think Wild is by himself on this one, but he probably doesn't get those pesky Jehovah's Witnesses or Girl Guides stopping through anymore!

Beer in hand in my boxers did the trick for the JWs. Girl guides get my money though.

covey ridge
02-18-2014, 11:22 AM
That dude may have been a responsible firearm owner, up until the point he was not.:(

Wild&Free
02-18-2014, 11:38 AM
That dude may have been a responsible firearm owner, up until the point he was not.:(

Just giving the antis more ammo he was.

It's situations like this that promote the culture of more and more gun control.

Dozer31
02-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Obviously this man is insane. There is a certain amount of gun control required in a society. Chances are this guy was never checked out before he got that gun.

CaberTosser
02-18-2014, 12:08 PM
If the guy wanted to scare them, generally just being a large adult will do that to 15 & 16 year old kids. Carrying a pistol would certainly seal the deal. If he felt the need for 'warning shots', those would be best done into the ground near his feet, actually firing at the vehicle is completely indefensible.

Wild&Free
02-18-2014, 12:16 PM
If the guy wanted to scare them, generally just being a large adult will do that to 15 & 16 year old kids. Carrying a pistol would certainly seal the deal. If he felt the need for 'warning shots', those would be best done into the ground near his feet, actually firing at the vehicle is completely indefensible.

Have you tried confronting a group of American teenagers before? For sure in this instance and in hindsight his actions were beyond what was necessary. Though for all we know the guy witnessed some dubious characters throwing things at and on his property.

Plus vandalism, whatever your age or excuse is still a crime. Minor when compared to murder, but realistically responsibility for ones actions wasn't taught to either party involved.

Poke the bees nest and cry foul when they sting you.

southernman
02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
A retaliation prank from Halloween, that was months ago, while I agree that there was a gross over use of force.
I suspect that there might be more to this story than a single teenagers prank. Perhaps repeated pranks against a almost fifty year man who had reached a breaking point.

rwm1273
02-18-2014, 02:49 PM
"They was trying to be teenagers," Bland said. "As you know, teenagers make mistakes, and this was one of those mistakes."

Skybuster
02-18-2014, 03:10 PM
There is no question this gun owner is an idiot. There is no defense in this case for firing on a car full of people. They were driving away. The only motivation he had was there were noises outside and he saw toilet paper on his car. Give me a break, and give your head a shake Wild, This guy absolutely should be charged, manslaughter at least.
And yes the anti gun nutz get another weapon to throw at us.

Crytone
02-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Charged with terrorism as well, that's disturbing.

Arkansas Law on Terrorism (http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-5/subtitle-2/chapter-13/subchapter-3/5-13-310)

(a) A person commits a terroristic act if, while not in the commission of a lawful act, the person:
(1) Shoots at or in any manner projects an object at a conveyance which is being operated or which is occupied by another person with the purpose to cause injury to another person or damage to property; or
(2) Shoots at an occupiable structure with the purpose to cause injury to a person or damage to property.

He got the charge for likely shooting at the car, which was moving and not a danger to himself for the only purpose of hurting them (point (1) above), not because of anything else people associate with terrorism.

Wild&Free
02-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Arkansas Law on Terrorism (http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-5/subtitle-2/chapter-13/subchapter-3/5-13-310)

(a) A person commits a terroristic act if, while not in the commission of a lawful act, the person:
(1) Shoots at or in any manner projects an object at a conveyance which is being operated or which is occupied by another person with the purpose to cause injury to another person or damage to property; or
(2) Shoots at an occupiable structure with the purpose to cause injury to a person or damage to property.

He got the charge for likely shooting at the car, which was moving and not a danger to himself for the only purpose of hurting them (point (1) above), not because of anything else people associate with terrorism.

Poor use of the word furthering it ambiguous use to justify over reaching legislation.

Taco
02-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Poor use of the word furthering it ambiguous use to justify over reaching legislation.

yeah them 'merkins tend to overreact

mischief
02-18-2014, 03:55 PM
If the guy wanted to scare them, generally just being a large adult will do that to 15 & 16 year old kids.

Disagree with you there. The white trash neighbor's kids and me have had a few instances where we did not see eye to eye. He is 5'8" 160 lbs maybe I am 6' 240 lbs, very much on the athletic side, and he came out and said one day that he should just kick me in the balls one day and if I retaliated I would get more severe charges because he was a minor and he might get a slap on the wrist if I didn't. Most kids nowadays are not taught respect and they try to act like the tough guys on t.v. add that and their entire life they have been told they are special and they are not allowed to fail anything, you get some kids that are complete A__holes.

Still an over reaction to the toilet paper though.

gooner85
02-18-2014, 05:27 PM
What kind of retard does this. This is why I an glad I live in Canada with gun laws. All I know is this guy is a special kind of stupid !!!!

Wild&Free
02-18-2014, 05:32 PM
There is no question this gun owner is an idiot. There is no defense in this case for firing on a car full of people. They were driving away. The only motivation he had was there were noises outside and he saw toilet paper on his car. Give me a break, and give your head a shake Wild, This guy absolutely should be charged, manslaughter at least.
And yes the anti gun nutz get another weapon to throw at us.

I never said he shouldn't be charged, but if I heard things smashing against my vehicle I would act to protect my property. Would I use the same level of force this man did? perhaps, perhaps not. It would depend on where I was and any past history. He acted within his right to defend his property, the courts will decide if his actions were appropriate.

Probably won't be much in the way of vandalism in that neighbourhood for a while me thinks.

New Hunter Okotoks
02-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Obviously this guy should be charged; no doubt about it.

This case should also serve as a reminder that it's never a good idea to go around provoking strangers. You never know what kind of individual you're messing with.

DiabeticKripple
02-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Disagree with you there. The white trash neighbor's kids and me have had a few instances where we did not see eye to eye. He is 5'8" 160 lbs maybe I am 6' 240 lbs, very much on the athletic side, and he came out and said one day that he should just kick me in the balls one day and if I retaliated I would get more severe charges because he was a minor and he might get a slap on the wrist if I didn't. Most kids nowadays are not taught respect and they try to act like the tough guys on t.v. add that and their entire life they have been told they are special and they are not allowed to fail anything, you get some kids that are complete A__holes.

Still an over reaction to the toilet paper though.

after he kicks you, you got 3 seconds before the pain gets ya. one punch him.

leeaspell
02-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Is it really that much of a surprise, the old timer said that gun shots in the park behind him are a common thing that they don't even pay attention to. If she were over 18 this probably would have never made the news.

Bushrat
02-18-2014, 06:58 PM
We don't know their past history or what events led up to this. Betting there is more to the story than what is being reported. They may have threatened his life, previous assaults, break and enters, vandalism etc who knows. Maybe they are gang members who sold drugs to his kids or relatives kids. Pretty sure bet they weren't selling girl guide cookies. All I know is that if you go around messing with people for no good reason sooner or later you might run into someone who has had enough, isn't going to take it anymore and snaps. Unfortunate but stuff like this happens and those kids should have known better.

leeaspell
02-18-2014, 07:00 PM
We don't know their past history or what events led up to this. Betting there is more to the story than what is being reported. They may have threatened his life, previous assaults, break and enters, vandalism etc who knows. Maybe they are gang members who sold drugs to his kids or relatives kids. Pretty sure bet they weren't selling girl guide cookies. All I know is that if you go around messing with people for no good reason sooner or later you might run into someone who has had enough, isn't going to take it anymore and snaps. Unfortunate but stuff like this happens and those kids should have known better.

That's kind of what I was trying to, you just done a better job of it.