PDA

View Full Version : Camping reservation is a joke

diamond k
02-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Site crashes again this morning. When it finally opens up again the site in my cart is now no longer available as it timed out. Now has crashed again What a disaster.

Site crashed last year and again last week on the group bookings.

Minister was on the TV this moring telling everyone how it would not ctash and how he assured it would work.

Alberta Govt you suck again.

colin455
02-18-2014, 12:36 PM
I hate that they give folks the ability to book 7 months ahead. It's unrealistic.
I can 't count the number of times over the last few years I've tried to go camping LOCALLY at a great Provincial Park and get turned away, because it's all booked in advance. Only too see the site go unused all weekend because the folks that reserved didn't show. They can't release the site incase they do show and it goes unused and unappreciated. How about only booking a month in advance? That would be more realistic. How about full charge penalties for those that don't show and don't cancel?

JB_AOL
02-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Colin455.. have you even tried to look at the campsite website? you can only book 90 days in advance.

You do know that those people that are reserved but no-show, are still paying (full) for the site?

Maybe you should stop complaining, and learn to read...

I agree there is an issue with the site crashing, but I have no issues with the process.

CanuckShooter
02-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Colin455.. have you even tried to look at the campsite website? you can only book 90 days in advance.

You do know that those people that are reserved but no-show, are still paying (full) for the site?

Maybe you should stop complaining, and learn to read...

I agree there is an issue with the site crashing, but I have no issues with the process.

If they don't show there should maybe be another charge...otherwise what would stop a wealthy guy from renting the whole park so only him and his secretary could camp there for the weekend? Could use employee names to book them and everything. Or at least not allow them to book another site for 24 months...leaving a site empty is criminal.

gmcmax05
02-18-2014, 12:58 PM
I hate that they give folks the ability to book 7 months ahead. It's unrealistic.
I can 't count the number of times over the last few years I've tried to go camping LOCALLY at a great Provincial Park and get turned away, because it's all booked in advance. Only too see the site go unused all weekend because the folks that reserved didn't show. They can't release the site incase they do show and it goes unused and unappreciated. How about only booking a month in advance? That would be more realistic. How about full charge penalties for those that don't show and don't cancel?

How do you know if the site goes unused, if you've been turned away:confused:

Wild&Free
02-18-2014, 01:04 PM
How do you know if the site goes unused, if you've been turned away:confused:

The guy at work who booked in advance told him about the empty sites perhaps? This is the Information Age. For all we know he could of hacked a satellite and watched the park all weekend.

igorot
02-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Here is a link for the rules on reservation. It might clear some questions and :fighting0030::)

https://reserve.albertaparks.ca/public/info/reservationRules.htm#

hunterfisher
02-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Point us the system sucks arse. Done and done.

JB_AOL
02-18-2014, 01:14 PM
If they don't show there should maybe be another charge...otherwise what would stop a wealthy guy from renting the whole park so only him and his secretary could camp there for the weekend? Could use employee names to book them and everything. Or at least not allow them to book another site for 24 months...leaving a site empty is criminal.

What's stopping a wealthy guy from just paying the additional fee that you want to add?

Trust me, I understand your frustration.. But additional fees do nothing. This is alberta afterall.. More money than brains for most..

What they should be doing is sending an email out 72 hours in advance of your booking, that has a confirm button on it. If it's not confirmed, then the reservation is lifted. Or if the person is a no-show after one night, the reservation is lifted.

Yes the system does need fixing, but there will always be someone who abuses the system.

Remember when people would drive up on monday, put a lawnchair on the site, and pay for the week, just so they could have a campsite for the weeked. Well. you can't do that anymore (at most places), site must be occupied.

Okotokian
02-18-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm not much of a camper (don't own a trailer or RV), but if things are this tight perhaps we need more campsites. Shame that in a province like ours people can't spend more time in the outdoors. This is one time I wouldn't object to the government spending more on something I have no personal interest in. It's just healthy.

bison
02-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Were is the fun these days in going from a comfortable house to a cramped tent/rv on a crowded noisy camping anyway :confused0024:
:scared0018:

JB_AOL
02-18-2014, 01:50 PM
but if things are this tight perhaps we need more campsites.

That's exactly the issue. Our population base has increased massively since the 70s, when most of the campgrounds were built. Time for the government to get with the times.

Unfortunately, there's soo much red tape getting anything built in a provincial park, that it would never happen.

JB_AOL
02-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Were is the fun these days in going from a comfortable house to a cramped tent/rv on a crowded noisy camping anyway :confused0024:
:scared0018:

Too bad there isn't more people like you that don't seen the enjoyment in staying home.. So those of us that get off our asses once and a while won't have a hard time booking sites..:fighting0074:

Fisherpeak
02-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Too bad there isn't more people like you that don't seen the enjoyment in staying home.. So those of us that get off our asses once and a while won't have a hard time booking sites..:fighting0074:

Unless you do as I do....go to the real bush and camp.Lots of places around here to haul in a trailer and set up without being bothered by all the people and noise.I guess I`m just lucky.

recce43
02-18-2014, 02:14 PM
you are lucky cause the bush is crazy may long weekend around here to many people that don't give a #4#4 ....

JB_AOL
02-18-2014, 02:14 PM
To each there own..

I've met many great people by camping next to them.

I've also seen the BS that happens in the back country (without driving 3 hours on a trail), and frankly I want nothing to do with that. Around here, close to the trunk roads, you're just as close to your neighbors as you are in a campground. No thanks.

diamond k
02-18-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm not much of a camper (don't own a trailer or RV), but if things are this tight perhaps we need more campsites. Shame that in a province like ours people can't spend more time in the outdoors. This is one time I wouldn't object to the government spending more on something I have no personal interest in. It's just healthy.

They cant they spent it all on an arena for a billionaire to build more sky boxes for wealthy corporations to use. The average guy gets to take an hour off work to try and fight for a campsite with a system that consistantly fails.

Have to love Alberta

Skybuster
02-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Y'all need to do what Freelantz is doing, buy some land, build a vacation cabin on it and enjoy the bush and wildlife without the headaches of reserving a site and pulling a trailer in May long traffic.

And if you would hurry up and do it I will have an easier time booking and driving.

bison
02-18-2014, 04:31 PM
To each there own..

I've met many great people by camping next to them.

I've also seen the BS that happens in the back country (without driving 3 hours on a trail), and frankly I want nothing to do with that. Around here, close to the trunk roads, you're just as close to your neighbors as you are in a campground. No thanks.It has his advantages living on a ranch like i do, no need to go cramping.
So nice and quiet ,...weeks can go by without seeing a human soul :)

rocpilefsj
02-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Random/dry camping for the win! I prefer to camp in more secluded areas than paying to camp 10 feet from someone, there are some very beautiful campgrounds though. All depends what your idea of "camping" is I guess lol.

bobalong
02-18-2014, 10:44 PM

That is quite the idea, I must hear that same thing almost every week. Rich guys everywhere are booking all the sites and basically have all the sites in the province almost every weekend. LOL, It just never ceases to amaze me ,the rational of some members on this site.

JB_AOL
02-19-2014, 07:58 AM
It has his advantages living on a ranch like i do, no need to go cramping.
So nice and quiet ,...weeks can go by without seeing a human soul :)

Agreed, It does have it's advantages, but the downside is, there's always something to be done, so you never "relax" as you would away from your home.

I've wanted an acreage for years, but we don't for that very reason. I enjoy being able to drop everything at home, and go glamping with the kids. If i had an acreage, #1 we wouldn't be able to afford to camp every weekend, and #2, I'd feel like I should be doing chores instead of just playing with the kids.

Oh, and I like human interaction..lol.

bison
02-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Agreed, It does have it's advantages, but the downside is, there's always something to be done, so you never "relax" as you would away from your home.

I've wanted an acreage for years, but we don't for that very reason. I enjoy being able to drop everything at home, and go glamping with the kids. If i had an acreage, #1 we wouldn't be able to afford to camp every weekend, and #2, I'd feel like I should be doing chores instead of just playing with the kids.

Oh, and I like human interaction..lol.The beauty of being self employed and on a farm is that i can do what when and how i feel like 90% of the time. Everything i need is right at home.
If i feel like fishing i go :fishing: etc
How can that not be relaxing??:thinking-006:

You on the other hand has to pack the camper(always forgetting something :sEm_oops2:) then drive for God knows how long trough annoying traffic :waiting4:and by the time you hit your destination there's usually something there that annoys the p:ss outa you and now you still have to find a spot to set up camp, find firewood, cook a meal, chase the kids etc etc :argue2::angry3:
Are you relaxing yet??:sHa_sarcasticlol:

JB_AOL
02-19-2014, 11:14 AM
The beauty of being self employed and on a farm is that i can do what when and how i feel like 90% of the time. Everything i need is right at home.

You on the other hand has to pack the camper(always forgetting something :sEm_oops2:) then drive for God knows how long trough annoying traffic :waiting4:and by the time you hit your destination there's usually something there that annoys the p:ss outa you and now you still have to find a spot to set up camp, find firewood, cook a meal, chase the kids etc etc :argue2::angry3:

Congrats.. you must've found that money tree, to be able to do whatever you want 90% of the time.. But from the sounds of it, "doing whatever you want" involves sitting by yourself on your front porch. oh, there's probably a dog also.

Many of my relatives are "on the farm", and they can't leave for more than 12-16 hours w/o having to check/feed animals, or run home and do something because the weather's changing soon. That is NOT relaxing in my eyes.

Pack Camper? Mine is ready to go all the time, just need food, and clothes. Done. That's the advantage of an RV.

I find nothing stressful about traffic, I just enjoy the drive\sights\company.

We book in advance, so trying to find a camp site? umm ok.

We are fully setup with beer in hand within 15 minutes of arriving.

Cook a meal/chase kids? Because that's different from at home how?

Relaxed? Yes..

Sorry, you just sound alone & lazy.:fighting0074:

alpinebeers
02-19-2014, 12:35 PM
The beauty of being self employed and on a farm is that i can do what when and how i feel like 90% of the time. Everything i need is right at home.

You sound very jaded. Maybe JB is right some human interaction would do you some good.

Every mans idea of relaxing is different. Personally taking my kids out to cut wood setting up camp and chasing them around are things I truly enjoy but that's just what floats my boat.

Maybe you should try and see things from another persons perspective rather than jumping onto a thread that you add nothing to and trying to cause a reaction from people.

But then again who am I to judge.... maybe antagonizing people while feeling sorry for yourself on your porch with your dog and your puter is your idea of what a good time and relaxing is? To each his own

bison
02-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Congrats.. you must've found that money tree, to be able to do whatever you want 90% of the time.. But from the sounds of it, "doing whatever you want" involves sitting by yourself on your front porch. oh, there's probably a dog also.

Many of my relatives are "on the farm", and they can't leave for more than 12-16 hours w/o having to check/feed animals, or run home and do something because the weather's changing soon. That is NOT relaxing in my eyes.

Pack Camper? Mine is ready to go all the time, just need food, and clothes. Done. That's the advantage of an RV.

I find nothing stressful about traffic, I just enjoy the drive\sights\company.

We book in advance, so trying to find a camp site? umm ok.

We are fully setup with beer in hand within 15 minutes of arriving.

Cook a meal/chase kids? Because that's different from at home how?

Relaxed? Yes..

Sorry, you just sound alone & lazy.:fighting0074:

Sorry, no money tree here.
Lets say a little luck and hard work finally paid off and choosing the right species of animals to keep that don't need babysitting 24/7 makes for lots of free time to persue other interests/hobbies
Nope, happely married:)
yes there's a dog too.

Whatever blows your hair back dude.:love0025:

Sounds you're a little jealous;)

JB_AOL
02-19-2014, 12:48 PM

On the contrary.. YOU came into a CAMPING THREAD looking for an argument..
Which you lost.. Move on lonesome Cowboy..

oyster_777
02-19-2014, 12:53 PM
:party0052:

Sorry, no money tree here.
Lets say a little luck and hard work finally paid off and choosing the right species of animals to keep that don't need babysitting 24/7 makes for lots of free time to persue other interests/hobbies
Nope, happely married:)
yes there's a dog too.

Dacotensis
02-19-2014, 01:15 PM
What a conversation.

It leaves one to infer that someones farming relatives make a convenient excuse to not come visit him.
They probably enjoy their own company on the farm and that of others rather than Mr. Cranky pants.

All farmers can get away if they really want to. There are always neighbours to help out.
They probably value their time and want to be in a good mood rather than being around Daniel downer.

The system works.
I got what I wanted on-line and judging by the fact that the sites are full, the system worked for others as well.
I talked to a few ppl I know and the on-line system worked for them.
I'm very happy for them and for me and my children.
We got the sites we wanted. We will have such a good time at Alberta campgrounds this summer. I can't wait for it!!
I love Alberta!
If I had a problem I would go to BC or Saskatchewan..

Might I suggest some vitamin D for some AO members. It will help with your mood swings, or should we all wait about 5 days for you to get over it?

Do I win? Do I?
I hope so. I want to.
I deserve to win.
If I cry enough do I win???

That's what its all about right?
Winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I am a little jealous.
It sounds like Bison is livin the dream!
Except for the happily married part. I think that he's bsing us

:fighting0074:

bison
02-19-2014, 04:26 PM
You sound very jaded. Maybe JB is right some human interaction would do you some good.

Every mans idea of relaxing is different. Personally taking my kids out to cut wood setting up camp and chasing them around are things I truly enjoy but that's just what floats my boat.

Maybe you should try and see things from another persons perspective rather than jumping onto a thread that you add nothing to and trying to cause a reaction from people.

But then again who am I to judge.... maybe antagonizing people while feeling sorry for yourself on your porch with your dog and your puter is your idea of what a good time and relaxing is? To each his own

Pot calling the kettle black.

exactly.

I didn't judge anybody now or did I??
I just gave my 2c worth, wether you like it or not.
Still a free world ;)

You sound jealous too.:)

alpinebeers
02-19-2014, 04:45 PM

exactly.

Still a free world ;)

I'm not sure why I commented on this post to begin with. I knew where it would end up.

The point of my post was that you reply to a thread talking about a camping reservation system with an ignorant comment about why people would want to leave there house to do something they enjoy. I suppose it just hit a nerve with me since it's something I really enjoy. So yes you did judge me by asking why Anyone would want to camp like me and my family as well as thousands of other Albertans do.

As far as jealousy goes.... Sorry bud I'm not in the least bit jealous. If it makes you feel better to think so then I'm happy to help. I know nothing about you besides your trolling comments and that you enjoy your farm, if I'm jealous of someone I've never met And know nothing about them then I've got some big problems

jungleboy
02-19-2014, 05:15 PM

exactly.

Still a free world ;)

:sHa_sarcasticlol: This thread just gets better as it goes along. sounds like a bunch of 10 yr olds ..... Jealous? jealous? . I know you are but what am I :snapoutofit:

igorot
02-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Karma is bitch and the wheel of life is still round. :scared0018::scared0018:

70chevy
02-19-2014, 06:24 PM
To get this thread back on track,I for one don't like doing the online registration.As far as I see it it is nothing but a cash cow for the government.Everyone books spots well in advance then something in life happens and they don't make it to there destination.We decided to camp at Beauvais lake last year as a drop in.They had 3 available sites for us all rest of campground booked with reservations.The 3 days we were there over 70 of these reserved sites were empty.Kids counted them everyday on their bike rides always questioning why were camping by the gate when all these other sites were also empty.We used to go here all the time before online reservations and always had a great time.We wont be going back.My job prevents me from making holiday plans as basically on call with some exceptions to the rule.When I am home we pack up and hit the road at any given time so this doesn't work for us.It really limits us to where we can go and spend quite a bit of time on crownland due to this which isn't so bad but we do like to explore new locations.So I quess I will be jealous of the people that get the reservations lol