PDA

View Full Version : It Can Happen In Alberta As Well

Mudzbogger
02-18-2014, 11:57 AM
The uber rich are buying up large swaths of land in BC and are actively putting up gates on Public roads blocking access without government consent. The government however will however not get involved due to their imo either spineless attitude or the protracted and costly legal battle they perceive might come. A small fish and game club has decided to take this on help them in their battle..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/little-bc-fishing-club-takes-on-us-billionaire/article16919365/

CanuckShooter
02-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Who donates the most to the campaign funds....

Pudelpointer
02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
This story has a long history and is nothing new. Good luck to the Nicola club, but they are in for a long and expensive fight.

rugatika
02-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the post. I thought it was pretty cut and dried in this country regarding lake ownership. That they are all public. I understand the restricted access rights thing...seems to me Kroenke is asking for some of his land to get appropriated.

Anyone that would own part of a soccer team is red flag material from the get go. :)

Grizzly Adams
02-18-2014, 04:14 PM
This story has a long history and is nothing new. Good luck to the Nicola club, but they are in for a long and expensive fight.

If they're going to the BC Supreme Court, there must have been some action in a lower court, one would think, and the ranch lost. :confused:

Had a German baron try to close roads going through his property, west of Airdrie, years ago. Didn't fly.

Grizz

Mekanik
02-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Anyone that would own part of a soccer team is red card material from the get go. :)

There: fixed it for you.

Mudzbogger
02-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Yeah, I know its been around for awhile however recently this gentleman just bought up another one of areas ranches that used to allow hunting and access to all the lakes for fishing on with no issues. Within a week of the sale closing all roads including public ones were gated. We are not talking barbed wire either, this is 6" pipe gates cemented in to the ground type.

I sure hope they prevail but money talks..

Don Andersen
02-18-2014, 06:49 PM
And it just isn't B.C.
Lots of illegally closed road allowances closed along the Bow River, the Sheep River, Oldman River, Highwood River and along most of Highway # 22 south of Longview.
But then, who cares! It's the Alberta way.

Don

winger7mm
02-18-2014, 06:58 PM
And it just isn't B.C.
Lots of illegally closed road allowances closed along the Bow River, the Sheep River, Oldman River, Highwood River and along most of Highway # 22 south of Longview.
But then, who cares! It's the Alberta way.

Don

Is there anything a guy like me can do, to gain access to said roads??? What would happen if I just cut the lock or otherways got around the gate??

rugatika
02-18-2014, 07:04 PM
I think these guys are within their rights to deny access onto THEIR property which just happens to encompass these lakes, thus effectively making the lakes solely accessible to them alone. If they keep it up they may be forcing the gov't's hand into making a law that either forces them to allow some form of reasonable access OR appropriating the land for the public good. Be interesting to see where this goes.

I have to admit, I'm kind of torn on this. On one side is property rights and the other is allowing the public fair access to fishing and public enjoyment of lakes and rivers. I know in my travels here in Alberta, I have seen many trails and roads that lead to rivers and lakes etc with gates on them, particularly oilfield roads etc that go through private property.

fish gunner
02-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Canada was founded with the Intened right of free roaming . A person of good intent should be presumed innocent and as such have the right of free access to game and water.
As I have stated many times some one always has more money than you and will remove your access to eventually all public lands. Hence my stand on paid hunting access or restricted access to public waters bearspaw being the Alberta example it is and will continue to happen just wait and see if wildrose gets power you aint seen nuthin yet.

brownbomber
02-18-2014, 07:18 PM
If they're going to the BC Supreme Court, there must have been some action in a lower court, one would think, and the ranch lost. :confused:

Had a German baron try to close roads going through his property, west of Airdrie, years ago. Didn't fly.

Grizz

Was it you griz?

Grizzly Adams
02-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Was it you griz?

No, but I wish I had his money. :lol:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/11/01/german-barons-22272-square-foot-calgary-mansion-goes-up-for-sale/

Grizz

Who Da Fisherman
02-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I know its been around for awhile however recently this gentleman just bought up another one of areas ranches that used to allow hunting and access to all the lakes for fishing on with no issues. Within a week of the sale closing all roads including public ones were gated. We are not talking barbed wire either, this is 6" pipe gates cemented in to the ground type.

I sure hope they prevail but money talks..

Public road! Cordless sawsall will open that back up and maybe even abit of scrap metal cash.
There was a rancher East who blocked and put up signs, after we opened it up and drove by them holding up our map of county roads he did nothing but frown....just because you ranch a township or two does not mean you own everything in between.

Big Daddy Badger
02-18-2014, 07:35 PM
When guys did that back in the day... a good strong bumper and a length of chain used to fix that problem in short order... but that was before everyone thought that lawyers needed to make a living as well.

Who Da Fisherman
02-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Just like Bruce lake where said farmer on the West side thinks he owns the ditch and blocks it with bales so you can't drive on. He also used his tractor to dig a ditch in the burn between the lakes.... Think he got a wrap on the knuckles after he was reported.

rugatika
02-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Is it an actual public road he gated? or a trail on his land that had previously been allowed by the previous owner?

bentley
02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
What's an " uber " sorry but I don't understand ?

fish gunner
02-18-2014, 08:22 PM
What's an " uber " sorry but I don't understand ?

Very very old money . Darkwoods comes to mind , however they for the most part allow public access cept that trout pond darn it.

Big Daddy Badger
02-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Is it an actual public road he gated? or a trail on his land that had previously been allowed by the previous owner?

Pretty much any road that provides lone access to a waterbody in BC is public.

There are exceptions but they are rare.

Selkirk
02-19-2014, 12:16 AM
From the article; “If this goes undefended then access everywhere is in jeopardy of being controlled by the rich”

That pretty much sums it up!

Mac

Big Daddy Badger
02-19-2014, 12:52 AM
From the article; “If this goes undefended then access everywhere is in jeopardy of being controlled by the rich”

That pretty much sums it up!

Mac

Hey... nothing to worry about unless a fella is interested in taking one of the kings deer.

I agree...if we do not raise a ruckus over stuff like this... precedent will be set and there will be no calling that dog back.

We already have so many instances of government favouring the new artisocracy over common folk it might already be too late to stop the trend let alone reverse it.