PDA

View Full Version : torque converter???

rugatika
02-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Got a 2008 f350 diesel (440,000kms and still kicking...sort of). Anyway, just use the truck for the odd hauling jobs and nothing major...retired work truck. I was pulling a boat out of the lake this summer and noticed I really had to get on the throttle to get up out of the boat launch...then this winter I was stuck in some snow, and I couldn't even spin the wheels...just no power getting sent to the wheels it seems like. I had a rebuilt tranny installed about 140,000km's ago. The truck seems to run fine on pavement without a load, but under load it almost seems like there isn't any tranny fluid in it (tranny fluid is full and in good condition).

Just wondering if this is the torque converter or if it's something with the tranny?

fish gunner
02-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Possible actuator issue not down shifting ? Not sure how common this is on ford diesels. Did you try manual down shift.

rugatika
02-18-2014, 11:00 PM
no I never did, might have to take it out for some testing tomorrow. Thanks

Mekanik
02-19-2014, 05:03 AM
Sounds like a possible fluid pressure issue. Any shift issues when driving? Delayed shifts, hesitations, etc?

6.5swedeforelk
02-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Got a 2008 f350 diesel (440,000kms and still kicking...sort of). Anyway, just use the truck for the odd hauling jobs and nothing major...retired work truck. I was pulling a boat out of the lake this summer and noticed I really had to get on the throttle to get up out of the boat launch...then this winter I was stuck in some snow, and I couldn't even spin the wheels...just no power getting sent to the wheels it seems like. I had a rebuilt tranny installed about 140,000km's ago. The truck seems to run fine on pavement without a load, but under load it almost seems like there isn't any tranny fluid in it (tranny fluid is full and in good condition).

Just wondering if this is the torque converter or if it's something with the tranny?

The overrunning (sprag) clutch in the torque converter can cause the lo-start torque that you describe, providing your ford still has the sprag clutch.

This one-way clutch, like on a lawnmower recoil start, redirects the fluid to hit the turbine a second time, resulting in torque multiplication.

Other than a failed downshift, most AT problems involving slippage quickly show up in burnt fluid.

rugatika
02-19-2014, 11:51 AM
The overrunning (sprag) clutch in the torque converter can cause the lo-start torque that you describe, providing your ford still has the sprag clutch.

This one-way clutch, like on a lawnmower recoil start, redirects the fluid to hit the turbine a second time, resulting in torque multiplication.

Other than a failed downshift, most AT problems involving slippage quickly show up in burnt fluid.

Watched a video describing how a torque converter works and this is exactly what it seems like. Once it's moving, it seems to have no problems, but moving from a standstill with a load or when I'm stuck seems to require really getting on the gas.