PDA

View Full Version : **Updated** the reporting number works!!!Telemarketers how many of you have filed a complaint?

wwbirds
02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Was checking the CRTC site for the "Do not call list" and noticed a complaint area so formally filed a complaint on two companies already this week.
Quite the formal process to file the complaint with all the details and no idea what will come of it but at least I feel I have done something. You must have your phone registered on DNC list for at least 30 days before filing a complaint about an unsolicited telmarketer ignoring the list. We have had the house and cell phones registered on DNC list for several years but never filed a complaint before. Guess they hit a nerve with the "congratulations you have won a,.....click" call as had 2 in 3 days.
Some other outfit out of Vancouver got reported on Monday after 2 calls in a week.

here is the site
https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/plt-cmp-eng

recce43
02-19-2014, 02:12 PM
sometimes i pick up the phone and give it to my 7 yearold son he loves to ask questions or i pick up and place it by the tv and they can listen to what im watching

ghostguy6
02-19-2014, 04:15 PM
The problem with most of the telemarketers is they originate outside of Canada or they are made on "burner" phones so filing a complaint really won't do much. Another thing to consider is those free raffles at conventions, some of them have fine print that state by entering they have the right to call for advertising purposes there for making it legal to call you even if you are on the do not call list. Just something to think about.

Dr. Phil A
02-19-2014, 04:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvJQxgtJW94

this is a classic.

Au revoir, Gopher
02-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Several years ago I switched our phone over to VoIP and set up an Asterisk PBX. One of the things I did was configure it so that calls from any 1-800 number went straight to voicemail. It was amazing how few of them actually bothered to leave a message :).

In the last few years the bulk of the "unwanted" calls have come from political parties during elections. Surprise, they are exempt from the Do Not Call law (as well as the Privacy laws).

ARG

averagejoe
02-19-2014, 06:12 PM
For the list to be effective they have to actually charge companies breaking it.

You are supposed to have to sign up every year. One year I did and we got more calls that year than ever before or since. People request the list and start calling since they know they are active numbers.

You make complaints but the numbers are either spoofed or out of Canada where they can do nothing or they add them to their list of offenders who have nothing done to them.

Ken07AOVette
02-19-2014, 08:05 PM
The only complaint I remember making was to the WRP when I was getting several calls daily from their autodialer. When I did answer, if they didn't like the answers someone else would call a few hours later and ask all the same questions again.

Now my business line is forwarded to my cell# 24/7 and I just keep adding #'s to the reject list. Works awesome!

gneigum
02-19-2014, 08:33 PM
I think I'm going to practice the homicide investigation route to use on the next person that calls to clean my septic tank. Those get to me, I'm on the town system yet get a couple calls every month

TreeGuy
02-19-2014, 08:46 PM
I made a terrible mistake a while back and agreed to support the Wild Rose Party and have an election sign posted in the front yard.

They hounded us endlessly on the phone looking for, "minimum $200.00 donations", and all the other crap. Requests to be removed from the call list only came to fruition after finally getting in contact with some idiot at head office and threatening to vote for the f'n lieberals if they call again.

Oh yeah.......those jerks from carribian cruise lines cost me $50 in one friggin' month on my cell this fall when I was away until I managed to spew venom to an actual human.

There should be a special place in hell for those in the TM game.

rodeo
02-20-2014, 01:52 AM
I agree with you, wwbirds. Although it's a long process for the complaints to get acted upon, it's certainly a good step to report it to the authorities. At least, the authorities are made aware of the problem that needs their attention.

rodeo
02-20-2014, 02:01 AM
I suggest that you report the violation to http://www.callercenter.com too. It helps when the information is shared to others.

wwbirds
05-20-2014, 11:13 AM
i was probably on a first name basis with CRTC for reporting spam calls on either my cell or my land line for about 2 months from the date of this original post. some days I reported 2 or even 3 calls from different automated callers associated with winning cruises or selling financial products.
We have not had a telephone solicitation call in over a month now.