PDA

View Full Version : biodiesel Diesel fuel?

YAFORDDIESEL
02-19-2014, 06:23 PM
While buying unleaded gas at a petro can gas station. Noticed a yellow sticker that states up to 5%bio-diesel. This was on the diesel side of the fueling stations. Any body seen this at other diesel pump station? m

KevGuy
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
While buying unleaded gas at a petro can gas station. Noticed a yellow sticker that states up to 5%bio-diesel. This was on the diesel side of the fueling stations. Any body seen this at other diesel pump station? m

It's a Suncor PR gimmick. Don't worry about it and carry on.

Ddawg
02-19-2014, 06:30 PM

I believe it's at all fuel stations, and forced by the government to have biodiesel in all road diesel. It's been this way for few years now.

Makes my 3500 diesel green. :scared0018:

mxz1997
02-19-2014, 06:47 PM
There is a government mandated bio diesel law for a couple years now. All the diesel you buy during the summer has bio in it. They don't add it in winter cuz it don't work.

Grizzly Adams
02-19-2014, 07:57 PM
I believe it's at all fuel stations, and forced by the government to have biodiesel in all road diesel. It's been this way for few years now.

Makes my 3500 diesel green. :scared0018:

And gas is up to 5 % methanol.

Grizz

leeaspell
02-19-2014, 08:01 PM
And gas is up to 5 % methanol.

Grizz

Methanol or ethanol?

It can be up to 10% ethanol

PartTimeHunter
02-19-2014, 09:03 PM
There is a government mandated bio diesel law for a couple years now. All the diesel you buy during the summer has bio in it. They don't add it in winter cuz it don't work.

It don't really work in the summer either. Very poor performance and economy in my experience.

6.5swedeforelk
02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
It don't really work in the summer either. Very poor performance and economy in my experience.

Define "very poor performance and economy".

Worst-case scenario... if the 5% added bio contained zero btu of energy content, your performance/economy would suffer 5%.
Could you even measure that?
The bio-diesel's slightly less energy content is, I believe, more than offset by its excellent lubricating quality (rings, injector pump).

I've burned K's of gallons of homemade bio and then shifted to a blend of purified oil/diesel mix.
As an example, my 5.9 dodge gets 20-24mpg, no wind, no load, speed limit. I believe that's pretty close to average for the Cummins.

PartTimeHunter
02-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Well, I don't measure mpg in the tractor. I do know that the same work I used to do, be it cutting hay or field work, takes 30% more fuel and the tractor is working harder to do it. Same fields, same hay, same hills, same damned clay. Even just running the processor in the winter - I used to be able to go feed four times to bring the tank down to a half. Now it seems twice is all I get

elkdump
02-19-2014, 10:43 PM
the original Diesel engines designed by and patented by a fellow named "Rudolf Diesel" were 100% designed to run on BIO DIESEL ! ( peanut oil) lmao

now 120+ years later, people are shocked someone would add Bio Diesel to Petro Diesel ! :confused: lol

6.5swedeforelk
02-20-2014, 08:02 AM
Well, I don't measure mpg in the tractor. I do know that the same work I used to do, be it cutting hay or field work, takes 30% more fuel and the tractor is working harder to do it. Same fields, same hay, same hills, same damned clay. Even just running the processor in the winter - I used to be able to go feed four times to bring the tank down to a half. Now it seems twice is all I get

A few possiblities:
(1) Time to overhaul the old DC4 Case tractor.
(2) Global warming? It's blamed for everything.
(3) Your neighbor, the one who sells corn at the farmers' market, but never has a garden, just bought a VW diesel!