PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather and leaks

savagewsm
02-19-2014, 11:14 PM
This long very cold weather is costing me a fortune. Both my vehicles have gone in to fix blown powersteering hoses, tranny fluid leaks, and coolant leaks.

My van is a POS caravan and has had to have the the return line changed on the power steering 7 times in the last five years and it blew while we were driving on the highway once as well. I'd hate to think what would of happened if my wife or daughter was driving.

My question to those of you with a mechanics back ground is what make of vehicles out there put decent hydraulic hose on their lines. We've got a 30 year old tractor at the farm that works in bittter cold and has never blown a hose ever.

If not stock is there a good brand of after market parts a person can use.

Thanks for all your help.

Flanny
02-19-2014, 11:25 PM
I've never had a problem with my Chevy... newer 2500HD though, not really equivalent to a minivan.

7 times in 5 years sounds a bit excessive... Perhaps you have a different problem.

Flanny

coolpete1
02-19-2014, 11:39 PM
there isn't much pressure in the return line , its just crappy hose, i like to replace the factory crap with a piece of hydraulic hose . the pressure hoses always leak at the crimps when its cold out ,but mexicans make hoses for warmer climates.