PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Fitters

Iron Brew
10-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Ok. For NEXT season, I'd like to get a new shotgun. I'm relatively new to shotgunning, but I do enjoy it. I have a nice (ok - fits, and I can hit things - even if it is old and cheap) CIL 20 pump for my game birds, but it is getting to where I'd like a gun for geese and ducks. The ability to use the gun all round is appealing as well. I am NOT a competitive trap/clays type, but I like busting them every now and again... (Ok. I like busting them more than I get a chance to)

So... I'm in the Edmonton area. I'd like to get a gun, and I'd like it fitted decently (I'm short, so SBE's seem to not fit me worth a damn...). I like the semi's I've shot (1100, beretta - don't recall the model). Are there any local dealers who can fit a gun for us smaller guys? Pud? P&D?

Thanks

IB

Dick284
10-11-2008, 10:23 AM
The lost art of firearm fitting.
Hmm.
Me thinks finding someone to do it in the true standard as years gone by my take some digging.
Personally I'd make and appointment with Dave Henry in Bentley. He apprenticed in the UK somewhere, and may at least have gotten some hands on in the fitting department.

403-748-3030, (only takes calls on Wed.)

2430M
10-11-2008, 11:22 AM
The lost art of firearm fitting.
Hmm.
Me thinks finding someone to do it in the true standard as years gone by my take some digging.
Personally I'd make and appointment with Dave Henry in Bentley. He apprenticed in the UK somewhere, and may at least have gotten some hands on in the fitting department.

403-748-3030, (only takes calls on Wed.)

X2 with Dave...great guy IMO

MK2750
10-12-2008, 08:37 AM
I took my old shotgun to Dave. He took some measurements and made my Gold Browning the same.(in theory only as I still miss XL900 dearly)

A lot of adjustments can not be made on some Autos because of the design. There is a tube in the stock that can limit shortening and angle adjustment. These "kick off" and other type of recoil systems may limit adjustment as some are built right in.

I would (and am as I too am considering another) put as many to your shoulder as possiable till I found one I liked that needed little tweeking. Suprising how two identical make and model guns will be different.

Was reading on other sites and one had a survey of the best waterfowl gun ever. 870 #1 of coarse. The top five included SBE2, Berreta extrema 2, Browning Gold, and the 11-87.Not in that order.

I bought my young fellow an 11-87 Premier and like it very much. No issues yet and it swings very nice. I like to clean my autoloaders after every trip however so I can't say it has been tested. It is not designed to shoot target loads. Some will shoot anything.

I am leaning towards a Berretta but am also a bit smitten with the Super Sport.

Good luck with you search'
MK

Iron Brew
10-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Hmm. Not familiar with the super sport. Will have to go digging.

A buddy of mine bought a mossberg 935 (I found out about this after posting here...). He likes it. My concern after reading would be... can it handle the light loads from Uncle Wally for breaking clays? Never held it, either. Any feedback on these?

Also, what are the Stoeger's like? I just have a hard time spending nearly two grand on my first "real" gun.

Thanks for the advice on Dave as well.

IB

MK2750
10-12-2008, 09:23 AM
It is designed for the sporting clays crowd. It is light and swings very smooth. I'm not worried about shooting 3 1/2 inch shells and I am not sure there is a SS availiable that will.

MK2750
10-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Just to clarify; Dave did a wonderful job on my gun and everything else I have ever taken to him. The issue I have with the Browning is very minor and has to do with balance not his work.

If I were going inexpensive I would go with a pump, 870 Rem to be exact.

Read some horror stories on the Mossberg semi. I had a pump many years ago and it fell apart. I do know for certain a Mossberg can't swim.:evilgrin:

The Stoeger has good things written about it and is suppose to be a clone of the bennelli. I have not looked very close and have not shot one.

MK

PS; The Super Sports are 2 grand+ if you can find one.