PDA

View Full Version : Fired for buying firefighters a meal

rwm1273
02-20-2014, 11:08 AM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/mcdonalds-employee-fired-after-buying-meals-firefighters

BBT
02-20-2014, 11:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...s-firefighters

A 23-year-old New York woman says she was fired from her job at McDonald's after personally paying for the meals of local firefighters.

Heather Levia says that she was working her normal shift last week when firefighters in Olean, N.Y. ordered 25 breakfast items for $83. The first responders were working in sub-zero temperatures that morning to put out a house fire, so Levia thought that paying for their hot meals was the right thing to do.

“Just because I appreciate everything they do,” said Levia.

Later on in her shift, a different fire department that was also out working on the same fire came in to order food that totaled $70. Levia thought that McDonald’s might be willing to pay for the first responders’ food because they regularly give free meals to police officers, so she sent a text to her boss asking if it was allowed. Her boss responded with a stern no.

So, instead of allowing the firefighters to pay for their food, Levia and her fellow workers split the bill among themselves. After that, she heard from her unhappy boss, who reportedly said, “You opened a whole bee’s nest.”

Levia came to her job of eight years the next day like she normally would, but when she arrived, her boss was waiting for her. She was immediately told that she could no longer work at McDonald's, but the reason her boss gave her was that she swore at her supervisor. Levia denies this claim.

“I did say this is ‘freaking’ ridiculous. But it was not implied to anybody,” she said.

“It’s just wrong,” continued Levia. “I wish the communities would change and help each other out. I wish that things didn’t have to be the way they are. And if losing my job is going to speak out to the community, then that’s what it’s going to do.”

The owner of the Olean McDonald’s did make a statement regarding Levia’s termination and claims that her accusations are false.

“The Meyers Organization has always valued the employees who serve our customers every day,” said owner Tom Meyers. “We likewise continue to be an ardent supporter of our police and fire departments, along with other first responders. They are always welcome in our restaurants, and we will continue to support them in the future. We are aware that certain allegations have been made concerning the reasons for Heather Levia’s termination. Out of respect for Ms. Levia and her privacy, it would not be appropriate to comment in detail on the reasons she is no longer employed by our organization. Still, it should be pointed out that the allegations are absolutely not true. We would never penalize an employee for showing appropriate gratitude for the work of our firefighters.”

Levia says she has received a lot of support from the community and has already been offered a few different jobs since her story went public.

Ken07AOVette
02-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Either carefully orchestrated press manipulation on her behalf or someone at McDonalds needs a good swift kick in the junk.

I gotta say, and all firefighters know this, when you are out eating smoke and someone shows up with cold water, pizza, sandwiches, whatever, you immediately fall heads over heels in love. There is just nothing better. Other than socks, wearing steel toed and shanked rubber firefighting boots for 13 hours without socks means you pour blood out at the end of the day. I almost dropped to a knee and proposed when a lady showed up with socks for me one time. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

(sorry about the derail, painful flashbacks lol)

I would boycott that location and let everyone in the community know what a bastard the manager is. (if it is not carefully orchestrated press manipulation.)

Okotokian
02-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Sounds more like she was fired for swearing and lipping off her boss. I suspect that if she was also wandering around soliciting donations from her co-workers to cover the second group's meal that she and her co-workers were making other customrs wait.

This is one of those "we haven't heard the whole story yet".

Gray Wolf
02-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Sounds more like she was fired for swearing and lipping off her boss. I suspect that if she was also wandering around soliciting donations from her co-workers to cover the second group's meal that she and her co-workers were making other customrs wait.

Exactly ^! And we probably never will.

The title of this thread only represents one side of the story :rolleye2:

crunchiespg
02-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Either carefully orchestrated press manipulation on her behalf or someone at McDonalds needs a good swift kick in the junk.

I gotta say, and all firefighters know this, when you are out eating smoke and someone shows up with cold water, pizza, sandwiches, whatever, you immediately fall heads over heels in love. There is just nothing better. Other than socks, wearing steel toed and shanked rubber firefighting boots for 13 hours without socks means you pour blood out at the end of the day. I almost dropped to a knee and proposed when a lady showed up with socks for me one time. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

(sorry about the derail, painful flashbacks lol)

I would boycott that location and let everyone in the community know what a bastard the manager is. (if it is not carefully orchestrated press manipulation.)

when I worked the floods last year in calgary we had so much food and drink bought to us I had to keep making deliveries to all the other cops, fire and city workers in the area. without exaggeration i could of survived 2 months on the food I got in one day. we had full chinese take away banquets, a bag of 24 subway subs. it was crazy. appreciated, but still crazy.
on the hot saturday i think we had 8x 24 packs of pop given to us, I had difficulty finding enough guys to give it all away to.

sometimes bad things bring out the best in a community, and ill admit I was grateful for the food and drink when we were working 20 hour days for 5 days straight.. the irony of it was they were giving it to me, who on that day didn't have a particularly hard job, mainly just scene safety, so i felt sorry for the fire guys and city workers who were working like slaves and i was glad to share with them.

rwm1273
02-20-2014, 04:40 PM

There are many articles on the subject, and it appears that she was fired because one of the fire department members called the manager and wanted to reimburse the girl for her kindness. It was because of this that she was fired, and the McDonalds claimed it was due to her foul language, which has not been substantiated.

But of course that makes no difference to some. Only one side of the story is told, so obviously you assume she is lying. That is what I find pathetic.

twofifty
02-20-2014, 04:43 PM
A newly hired NYC firefighter makes US $61,000 per year plus benefits, so
they can afford to pay for their own hamburgers.

Letting a McDonalds worker pick up the tab shows their sense of entitlement.

edit: thankfully, someone at the fire hall woke up to that reality and attempted to reimburse the McDonalds worker.

Don K
02-20-2014, 04:48 PM
There are many articles on the subject, and it appears that she was fired because one of the fire department members called the manager and wanted to reimburse the girl for her kindness. It was because of this that she was fired, and the McDonalds claimed it was due to her foul language, which has not been substantiated.

But of course that makes no difference to some. Only one side of the story is told, so obviously you assume she is lying. That is what I find pathetic.

X2! Ok should pull his head out...
Good for her for standing up!

turbo mulcher
02-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Most Firefighters don't have their wallet with them and if their chief is not on the ball( which happens a lot) good people have come forward with coffee, sandwiches etc. Bless their hearts!!
If this girl had bought my crew a meal and she didn't want money , We would of invited her for a Fire Hall dinner to show her our appreciation .

rwm1273
02-20-2014, 05:07 PM

edit: thankfully, someone at the fire hall woke up to that reality and attempted to reimburse the McDonalds worker.

Actually it was her own initiative and sense of goodwill that caused her to pay for the food, not the fire departments expectation of entitlement. In my experience, few members in any uniform expect free things from the public. Most are there to serve.

npbra
02-20-2014, 05:54 PM

Couldn't pass the firefighters entrance exam, eh.

rwm1273
02-20-2014, 06:01 PM

lol.

twofifty
02-20-2014, 06:19 PM

How clever of you to come up with such a predictable analysis.
lol indeed.

bobalong
02-20-2014, 07:02 PM

You sort of missed the point of the story, it is NOT about the money:rolleyes:

Ken07AOVette
02-20-2014, 07:04 PM

No kidding.

This should be called the speculator forum.

twofifty
02-20-2014, 07:24 PM

The obvious parts are about an employee's personal generosity & initiative and corporate myopia.

ak77
02-20-2014, 10:50 PM
No good deed goes unpunished.
Had she just shrugged it off, saying that the bosses wouldn't pay it all would end right there. Running her mouth and the firefighter calling in made it the problem.

The America (and i mean both USA and Canada) will have half of their problem disappear if people learn to mind their own damn business.

Gray Wolf
02-20-2014, 11:34 PM

What a load of hogwash! No one here has assumed she is lying! :rolleye2:

domus.don
02-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Has anyone heard anything from her co-workers? If they are keeping quiet there is something we didn't hear. Another case of the media making things sound like they want it to ...

rwm1273
02-21-2014, 03:46 PM
What a load of hogwash! No one here has assumed she is lying! :rolleye2:

Oko implied it.