PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifting/Fitness Thread!

DiabeticKripple
02-22-2014, 02:22 PM
being outdoorsmen (and women) I assume that a lot of us like to stay fit during the off seasons!

so I thought i'd make this thread where we could share knowledge about anything weightlifting/fitness related and hopefully help some newbies out.

i started lifting in high school a bit and ive been off and on ever since. but i bought a membership for 4 months so now i have no reason to not workout.

i try to lift everyday (depending how sore i am) and i also play hockey 3x per week.

CaberTosser
02-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Good topic. I used to be a regular gym rat in my 20's and early to mid 30's but have dropped off the map for the last 6 years. I finally got back in just last week and hope to get in semi-regularly on an ongoing basis. I noticed my cardio absolutely sucked as well as most everything else, its humbling to realize that even your default fitness level has gone into decline. At least I found my drop-in passes though. I would typically get 10 pack passes instead of memberships for the time's I'd be getting my exercise at work, on hikes or wherever. One can also vary the gyms they attend this way too, I like to split between Westside Rec and Talisman for instance, variety being a good thing. I usually prefer 3 times a week. I have a buddy who has his own personal training facility that he runs with his wife, so that's also an option for weights or Ninjutsu.

DiabeticKripple
02-22-2014, 03:21 PM
when i move to GP in july, both my future roommates do MMA and jiu-jitsu so i guess ill have to start training in that.

huntinstuff
02-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Is it weightlifting or weight training that you are doing?

CaberTosser
02-22-2014, 03:52 PM

How are you differentiating the two 'Stuff? Olympic style weightlifting versus weight training? I think the distinction has been lost in common English usage. I ain't got 'sperience with the clean & jerk, just weight training.

huntinstuff
02-22-2014, 04:08 PM
How are you differentiating the two 'Stuff? Olympic style weightlifting versus weight training? I think the distinction has been lost in common English usage. I ain't got 'sperience with the clean & jerk, just weight training.

Weight lifting is like the strength training guys who look big and fat but are incredible weight lifters. Pure strength. Kinda like Mark Henry.

Weight training are the guys who do curls, shoulder presses and general body building stuff. Just buff, muscular guys.

DiabeticKripple
02-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Weight lifting is like the strength training guys who look big and fat but are incredible weight lifters. Pure strength. Kinda like Mark Henry.

Weight training are the guys who do curls, shoulder presses and general body building stuff. Just buff, muscular guys.

same poop different group.

both lift heavy things and put them down.

BeeGuy
02-22-2014, 04:29 PM

Weight training and body building are not the same.

One can lift weights for many different purposes.

I go to the YMCA 3-4x a week.

Mostly I play pick-up bball but I also incorporate some weight training. The primary purpose of lifting weights for me is injury prevention and strength. Knees and shoulders.

huntinstuff
02-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Weight training and body building are not the same.

One can lift weights for many different purposes.

I go to the YMCA 3-4x a week.

Mostly I play pick-up bball but I also incorporate some weight training. The primary purpose of lifting weights for me is injury prevention and strength. Knees and shoulders.

Correct. Weight training and body building are not the same.

CanuckShooter
02-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Are steroids still and issue in the gyms these days?? When I was a young fellow all the pump monkeys were on that stuff....

BeeGuy
02-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Are steroids still and issue in the gyms these days?? When I was a young fellow all the pump monkeys were on that stuff....

Ya and they have come a long way.

huntinstuff
02-22-2014, 04:43 PM
I see some big guys but I dont know if it us steroid use or not.

Never had any dealings with the stuff so I dont really know what to look for.

I suppose if the guy looked like a t rex Id figure it out but......

thegunman
02-22-2014, 04:46 PM

Gym candy??lol You bet! There's more now then ever.

brownbomber
02-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Used to be fit, got fat, getting Back to fit. Try to put in 5 nights a week. I weight train and cardio. Really enjoy it again

CaberTosser
02-22-2014, 04:58 PM
I used to train with a few guys who were on the juice, but it was never a temptation for me. At the time (I don't know whats popular these days) there would be side effects such as acne, irritability and gynecomastia that some would get. I always considered it cheating but I had different goals than them, and was a pretty much a featherweight by comparison anyways. One of my training buddies went fairly far in professional wrestling though so he was practically obligated to juice; its interesting to see him these days without all the bulk, just a very tall lean guy.

I find that I don't see the hardcore bodybuilder/raging roid-monkey types in the gyms I get to these days, I imagine they have ones they sequester themselves to somewhere. I know BJ's Gym was one haunt, but that place is gone now with the East Village redevelopment. I recall training regularly at Pro Bodies in Marda Loop and riding my bike to get there for the cardio. I was locking it up at the bike rack where some HA type biker had already parked his Hog and the douche charged up to the window like a rhinoceros when I was next to it locking up my bike, that always makes for a nice ambiance :rolleyes:

I'm going to throw in an unabashed plug here for my buddy and his wife's personal training facility here in Calgary, he's a 4th Dan Ninjutsu black belt and modern Arnis instructor as well:
http://www.spiritfitness.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/spirit.fitness1

S&C_Coach
02-22-2014, 05:06 PM

Well since this is my field I guess I'll get technical:

Weightlifting aka Olympic Lifting: Olympic Sport, refers to the specific lifts of the clean and jerk and the Snatch

Powerlifting: also a sport but not in Olympics. Refers specifically to 3 lifts to try and get the most weight totaled using the deadlift, bench press and back squat. These are generally the very large men (not mark Henry)

Strong Man: also a sport. These are the biggest guys (Mark Henry). These are the competitions you see on TSN where they pull trucks, load stones, farmer carry, yoke walk etc...usually "odd object lifting"

Body building: sport of aesthetics vs strength. Lift a lot of different way in pursuit of a big, defined and symmetrical body

Weight Lifting or Weight Training: people who are lifting weight to get fit , be healthy or re-live the glory days. Gym rats.

Hope that clears things up. And hopefully this thread stays awesome because this topic can be as contentious as what's the best calibre for a rifle.

Unfortunately there is so much misinformation and stupidity in this topic so be nice to each other.

mudbug
02-22-2014, 05:10 PM
I used to do a lot of toning when I was younger, lots of reps with lighter weights. I used to have to lift a lot of heavy items at work so I never bothered lifting heavy weights for building mass, work did that for me instead :)

1899b
02-22-2014, 05:32 PM
20 years of it. At 41 i am still eating like food is a fuel and not a recreation. Weight training and cardio is still a big staple of my life. Been there done that with the whole gym lifestyle. The early 90's were crazy. Lots of crank and lots of training. Can remember calling in sick to work once in a while as a 20 year old to do a double split at the gym. Ie: Train in the morning then train in the late afternoon.

As one gets older priorities change. Excercise and healthy nutrition is still the same.....

dumoulin
02-22-2014, 07:01 PM
....I haven't been to the gym since university and it shows. I have however thought about going back as the kids are older and need less supervision.

DiabeticKripple
02-22-2014, 07:19 PM
I gained 20lbs on my bench press in the last 2 weeks. I'm happy with the way things are going. Gonna have to hit the gym again tonight. It's chest/shoulders day.

dbcooper
02-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Well since this is my field I guess I'll get technical:

Weightlifting aka Olympic Lifting: Olympic Sport, refers to the specific lifts of the clean and jerk and the Snatch

Powerlifting: also a sport but not in Olympics. Refers specifically to 3 lifts to try and get the most weight totaled using the deadlift, bench press and back squat. These are generally the very large men (not mark Henry)

Strong Man: also a sport. These are the biggest guys (Mark Henry). These are the competitions you see on TSN where they pull trucks, load stones, farmer carry, yoke walk etc...usually "odd object lifting"

Body building: sport of aesthetics vs strength. Lift a lot of different way in pursuit of a big, defined and symmetrical body

Weight Lifting or Weight Training: people who are lifting weight to get fit , be healthy or re-live the glory days. Gym rats.

Hope that clears things up. And hopefully this thread stays awesome because this topic can be as contentious as what's the best calibre for a rifle.

Unfortunately there is so much misinformation and stupidity in this topic so be nice to each other.

Question. Were does Crossfit fit in here? It seems to be the newest rage. And some of the stuff they do is pretty cool...Go Rich Froning! the fittest man on the planet...

Dave

Dynamic
02-22-2014, 07:24 PM
For me I have been doing a 4-5km run at least 3 days a week for the last 6 years. It feels so good to put the iPod on and listen to some tunes. Also play hockey in the winter and golf in the summer though golf usually ends with a few beer. So far it works for me.

DiabeticKripple
02-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Question. Were does Crossfit fit in here? It seems to be the newest rage. And some of the stuff they do is pretty cool...Go Rich Froning! the fittest man on the planet...

Dave

crossfit is its own category. its more endurance based not power.

BlackHeart
02-22-2014, 08:48 PM
I used to go to the gym to lift 6 days a week religiously.
Family n work n life n age had an impact on that over the years.

Now it's three times a week with the weights.

Plus ju-jitsu or Mauy Thai twice a week....tend to like the ground work for the mental challenge side of it....and the Mauy Thai when I start needed more cardio or to shed a few pounds. (if I am not too pressed for time at work) Would love to do 2 and 2 but that's impossible with commitments.

But as you age, the need to be careful to not incur an injury becomes very important......as it takes longer to heal and longer to regain lost ground/condition/shape.

S&C_Coach
02-22-2014, 11:20 PM
CrossFit is not its own category, it's a method of utilizing pieces of pretty much everything. It's GPP - general physical preparedness...meaning it specializes in nothing but makes you pretty good at a lot of things. I suppose since some now consider it a sport you could make an argument it can stand alone but really it just a way to workout.

Here's the thing, CF likes to lay claim to everything but they didn't start or create anything. They use Olympic lifts (which is all about power speed and strength), they use power lifts (all about strength and power), they do strongman movements, gymnastics and calesthenics.

Crossfit also does things at very high intensity.

CF has basically "packaged" what the Russians started a few hundred years ago doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) and what strength coaches have been doing since it's inception...nothing new here.

What CrossFit did do is make people excited to workout and added a little competitive flavor to keep it fun and fresh. No one can deny that crossfit has done more for fitness than anything else has in a really long time and good on them as it has done a lot of good for a lot of people.

The downside is that CF "certified" a bunch of people that decided they were ready to open a gym and train people after taking a 14 hour course. Stupid. It became very watered down and has given it the reputation of being dangerous. CF in and of itself is not dangerous but the lack of knowledge and experience from the majority of its trainers makes it dangerous because they don't know what heck they're doing.

Like anything else though it's buyer-beware. The fitness industry is not regulated so there are no rules as to who can become a personal trainer so just make sure you ask the right questions when joining a gym or hiring a trainer or strength coach.

BeeGuy
02-22-2014, 11:23 PM
I gained 20lbs on my bench press in the last 2 weeks. I'm happy with the way things are going. Gonna have to hit the gym again tonight. It's chest/shoulders day.

Bro.

Every day is chest day.

Don't you forget it.

Kurt505
02-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Push ups and sit ups.

Before I blew my shoulder out I was doing 500 push-ups in the morning before work (4 sets of 125) and 15min strait of sit ups, then do the same thing in the evening before bed. It took me 3 months to work my way up to this and I went from benching 160 to benching 240 in that same amount of time.

I tried weight training a few times, but nothing worked like push-ups and sit ups.

TreeGuy
02-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Pfffffftt.....

I haven't been in a Jim since our first marriage broke up because the baker was a jerk......... ;)

Quinner
02-23-2014, 12:51 AM
What mma gym in gp does your buddy train at?

DiabeticKripple
02-23-2014, 12:57 AM
What mma gym in gp does your buddy train at?

We don't live there yet so we will have to find one when we move.

BeeGuy
02-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Pfffffftt.....

I haven't been in a Jim since our first marriage broke up because the baker was a jerk......... ;)

:happy0034:

pickrel pat
02-23-2014, 01:19 AM
Pfffffftt.....

Bahaha....... that one got me!

Quinner
02-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Get in contact with me when you do. I can help you with mma if you want

CNP
02-25-2014, 07:40 AM
CrossFit is not its own category, it's a method of utilizing pieces of pretty much everything. It's GPP - general physical preparedness...meaning it specializes in nothing but makes you pretty good at a lot of things. I suppose since some now consider it a sport you could make an argument it can stand alone but really it just a way to workout.

Here's the thing, CF likes to lay claim to everything but they didn't start or create anything. They use Olympic lifts (which is all about power speed and strength), they use power lifts (all about strength and power), they do strongman movements, gymnastics and calesthenics.

Crossfit also does things at very high intensity.

CF has basically "packaged" what the Russians started a few hundred years ago doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) and what strength coaches have been doing since it's inception...nothing new here.

What CrossFit did do is make people excited to workout and added a little competitive flavor to keep it fun and fresh. No one can deny that crossfit has done more for fitness than anything else has in a really long time and good on them as it has done a lot of good for a lot of people.

The downside is that CF "certified" a bunch of people that decided they were ready to open a gym and train people after taking a 14 hour course. Stupid. It became very watered down and has given it the reputation of being dangerous. CF in and of itself is not dangerous but the lack of knowledge and experience from the majority of its trainers makes it dangerous because they don't know what heck they're doing.

Like anything else though it's buyer-beware. The fitness industry is not regulated so there are no rules as to who can become a personal trainer so just make sure you ask the right questions when joining a gym or hiring a trainer or strength coach.

I agree with you. You can do all the powerlifting, weight lifting and weight training you want. But that by itself will not get you in shape for the purpose of climbing mountains or long hikes. Cardio is the only avenue that takes you there. You need muscular endurance and cardio vascular endurance. CF is all you would really need if you just picked one. Less on the power stuff and more on the cardio stuff. You don't have to buy anything
......running, push ups, squats, chin ups, burpees are all............free

1899b
02-25-2014, 07:47 AM
I agree with you. You can do all the powerlifting, weight lifting and weight training you want. But that by itself will not get you in shape for the purpose of climbing mountains or long hikes. Cardio is the only avenue that takes you there. You need muscular endurance and cardio vascular endurance. CF is all you would really need if you just picked one. Less on the power stuff and more on the cardio stuff. You don't have to buy anything
......running, push ups, squats, chin ups, burpees are all............free

Cardio also increases you strength levels immensly. There is a fine line however with doing cardio and weight training in regards to burn out factor. You want to do just enough cardio to facilitate endurance and weight loss but not hinder any other excercises you do IE: strength training. Burnout is just as bad as not excercising at all. You have to know how much of each to do for increased stamina and strength without it putting you into a catabolic state.

Once you know how your body reacts, its cake.

Stay away from the cake from though....

DiabeticKripple
02-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Get in contact with me when you do. I can help you with mma if you want

for sure.

been a few days since ive been in the gym. busy with school and super exhausted from hockey. might go again thursday when i have some time.

BeeGuy
02-25-2014, 02:41 PM
for sure.

been a few days since ive been in the gym. busy with school and super exhausted from hockey. might go again thursday when i have some time.

How much do you lift bro?

DiabeticKripple
02-25-2014, 03:04 PM
How much do you lift bro?

mountain giants

pickrel pat
02-25-2014, 03:08 PM
mountain giants

like.

BeeGuy
02-25-2014, 03:31 PM
mountain giants

Plural?

As in more than one?

DiabeticKripple
02-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Plural?

As in more than one?

the only one haha

brownbomber
02-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Sick cardio today, thought I was gonna pass out..... It was awesome

DiabeticKripple
02-26-2014, 10:28 PM
we had 5 players on my hockey team tonight. 45 mins of no breaks. gym time tomorrow though.

brownbomber
02-26-2014, 10:32 PM
we had 5 players on my hockey team tonight. 45 mins of no breaks. gym time tomorrow though.

That's always lovely. I play with young guys like who were in diapers when I was in high school. We play 30 min periods no stop time and one flood. It's challenging but fun when we have 6 skaters show up. Make it's fun.

DiabeticKripple
02-26-2014, 10:38 PM
That's always lovely. I play with young guys like who were in diapers when I was in high school. We play 30 min periods no stop time and one flood. It's challenging but fun when we have 6 skaters show up. Make it's fun.

yes fun but very tiring. i like 10 players.

brownbomber
02-26-2014, 10:49 PM
yes fun but very tiring. i like 10 players.

Sometimes we have 12, but 10 is about right. It depends who you play against too. Play a bunch of benders 6 or 7 is okay, play a bunch of guys a few years removed from jr..... Not so much.
Anyway back on track I try to squeeze in a night or even two of hockey with 4 to 5 workouts plus job, wife, kids. It's crazy but okay, thankfully I can do most of it after the kids asleep. The wife is understanding as a fit BB is much more -
appealing. But she tries to get in her 3 nights workout and a couple other nights of running tied into it. It's a balancing act but worth it.

DiabeticKripple
02-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Sometimes we have 12, but 10 is about right. It depends who you play against too. Play a bunch of benders 6 or 7 is okay, play a bunch of guys a few years removed from jr..... Not so much.
Anyway back on track I try to squeeze in a night or even two of hockey with 4 to 5 workouts plus job, wife, kids. It's crazy but okay, thankfully I can do most of it after the kids asleep. The wife is understanding as a fit BB is much more -
appealing. But she tries to get in her 3 nights workout and a couple other nights of running tied into it. It's a balancing act but worth it.

im kinda the same.

balancing school 5 days a week, homework, hockey 3 nights a week, working out in between, and having a social life with the boys from class makes me busy. no time for fishing haha

Serengeti Charters
02-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Started hitting the gym 3 1/2 years ago, weighed just around 140-145lbs, 2 1/2 years later was up to 187lbs but was too bulky and around 22% BF, but wanted to get the BF % down to 10-12% so now at 175lbs.

Before I went to Mexico, buddy put me onto this program, unreal results I found, called MFT 28, do it over 28 days. He says to go to the gym twice a day, I only did that on chest and shoulder days, rest was once a day. Hard workouts though! But by far the best results I've seen, really confuses your body and huge gains, especially if you diet well (I dieted very poorly during the 28 days, and yet still saw great results, can only imagine what they would of been had I ate well)

Here is a link:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mft28-greg-plitts-4-week-military-fitness-trainer-by-met-rx.html

DiabeticKripple
02-27-2014, 08:05 AM
i eat pretty bad, but im not really concerned about losing fat until mid march. as long as i hit my caloric intake im happy.

DiabeticKripple
03-18-2014, 07:18 PM
started my cutting phase. real hungry all the time, but its probably just false hunger since i cut all snacks and junk out.

started out at 180 so i hope to lose a pound or two a week until im 170ish.

havent been to the gym in 3 weeks, been real busy with school and hockey so i havent had a chance. but tonight im free so im heading there.

fatboyz
03-18-2014, 07:29 PM
I train Muay Thai 3 times a week, and spend a couple weekends a month ice climbing. Just got my hip replaced in December and will be back to Muay Thai next week, and have been back ice climbing since Feb.

brownbomber
03-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Water is your friend, as is the idea of premium talent. You can accomplish anything you set your mind to. I recall some fitness goals seeming unattainable.

DiabeticKripple
03-18-2014, 07:37 PM
ideally id like to be 200lbs with 8-10% body fat. at 6' 1" thats not really all that big, but not small either.

1899b
03-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret.

Dunezilla
03-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Used to be fit, got fat, getting Back to fit. Try to put in 5 nights a week. I weight train and cardio. Really enjoy it again

I was in ok when I was a grouse & water fowl hunter & hunted 936 but I stopped doing that in 2003 & so I went from 150 to 180lbs until December 10th 2012 & I said enough is enough & so we got a tread mill, some weights & by the 12th of December 2012 I was doing regular exercise, changed my eating habits etc, etc & by May 12th 2013 I lost 40lbs. I felt great, I could run with my smaller dog on cross country trails. Then with the other two dogs on leashes I carried a back pack full up weights up to 50lbs & we walked for 2.5 kms through cross country trails & every now & then they would run & so with 50lbs of weights on my back I ran too. I went from a size 35 waist to a size 32 waist (actually a 30 waist) but I just tighten the belt on the 32 pants. I allowed myself to gain 9 lbs & I have been staying at that weight ever since. I still excise every day at least for now. I carry 56 lbs of weights on my back now. I feel good for a fellow in his upper 50's.

brownbomber
03-18-2014, 08:33 PM
ideally id like to be 200lbs with 8-10% body fat. at 6' 1" thats not really all that big, but not small either.

My goal is 15-18% and weigh 240 but 6'1"

1899b
03-19-2014, 06:30 AM
I have fluctuated and played with being as low as 205 and as high as 255 lbs. At 42 years old i am very comfortable with my current of 220 lbs at 6ft with a 32 inch waist. It took many years but i have found what feels the best, works the best and how to train with less stress on my body. If i only new at 20 when i started this lifestyle what i know now...... But that goes with everything in life. :)

Bigdad013
03-19-2014, 07:41 AM
I started taking Hapkido 2 years ago, at 6'7" and 262 lbs, it was time to do something. I go 4 times a week 1.5 hours each class. 45 mins cardio and 45 training. After 2 years, down to 218 lbs. At 54 years of age, didn't think it was possible. People always ask if I feel better, I don't, always in pain and full of bruises, but love it.

brownbomber
05-01-2014, 11:25 PM
I find as I get more into this my goals are evolving. I'm still struggling at times to eat as well as I should but that is improving. Strength wise have reached some bigger milestones, but I am evolving moreso into body fat and looks kind of thing despite having a lot of room to improve. But as they say it's a journey and I truly am discovering that. Meal prep is my friend.

FallAirFever
05-02-2014, 10:33 AM
A few months ago a good friend of mine sent out an email that said "7 months to go" or something to that effect with a link to Cameron Hanes working out and talking about fitness and hunting. Basically my buddy was throwing out a challenge for us to get in better shape an improve our lifestyles with one of the goals of being able to chase elk in the rut. It was the kick in the butt I needed to make a change, it had been 4 years since I had done any exercise, my job was to either sit at the wheel of my truck or sit behind my desk. I had become very seditary and my eating habits were aweful, fast food, deep fried, greasy, prepackaged, huge portions...

It shames me to say it but I was 290lbs, size 42" waist and could not bend over to tie my shoes or walk a flight of stairs without getting out of breath!

As of today I am down 2 pant sizes, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and do a mix of lifting and cardio. My typical workout is 10 minute warm-up followed by lifting, I try to more compound lifts, one day is upper body focused the next is lower body. My ideal week is working out mon, tues, rest wed and workout thurs and fri. after my lifts I will do cardio, usually the elliptical for 25-40 minutes, depending on how much time I have.

I have found getting up in the morning and going to the gym fairly easy and it really has not interfered with the rest of my life, a job, wife and 4 active kids can keep a guy busy enough.

What I have not found so easy is weight loss and diet, I know my body is changing (jeans fitting better, more muscle etc...) but the scale has not been kind to me, down about 12lbs. I know a lot of it has to do with diet which is steadily getting better, but has a long way to go. But now at least simple tasks do not cause me to loose my breath, I can play a bit of basketball with my kids without feeling like I might pass out or puke.

It is a journey, one I am lucky enough to have a couple of very good friends (brothers) to have started me on it and be by my side.

My short term goals are to keep increasing my fitness level, loose weight. Once I get my weight down I would like to focus on my cardio so I can walk the foothills and pack an elk out.
If any of you more experianced fitness guys have suggestions for me I'd love to hear from you!

brownbomber
05-02-2014, 12:07 PM
If your body composition is changing I would ignore the scale. The scale really stops a lot of people from continuing because they don't see the results that they think they should, it isn't "the biggest loser". Weight is just a number. I will be real happy when I'm 240 but 15% body fat I should be fairly beastly, overweight by some measures and my BMI would be quite high. But I would be really happy with that and it's something I think I could sustain.
Good job Fallair, I think you're doing great. The eating part is hard and I'm finally beating that and getting better. I'm sure you will too

Chernobyl Ant
05-02-2014, 12:11 PM
being outdoorsmen (and women) I assume that a lot of us like to stay fit during the off seasons!

so I thought i'd make this thread where we could share knowledge about anything weightlifting/fitness related and hopefully help some newbies out.

i started lifting in high school a bit and ive been off and on ever since. but i bought a membership for 4 months so now i have no reason to not workout.

i try to lift everyday (depending how sore i am) and i also play hockey 3x per week.

Not trying to be a arse here but make sure you don't overtrain....typically you don't want to be working out when your muscles are still sore from your last workout. :)

DiabeticKripple
05-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Not trying to be a arse here but make sure you don't overtrain....typically you don't want to be working out when your muscles are still sore from your last workout. :)

which is why i said depending how sore i am :)

i havent been to the gym in over a month :( school got crazy busy. but now im done until July so i have 2.5 months to workout. gonna start running with a friend who is training for a marathon, and then lifting in the evenings. should have my beach body by then haha

mark-edmonton
05-02-2014, 01:34 PM
I am a bodybuilder. Have competed 6 times in the past up to the national level! My job as a firefighter requires a level of fitness, that being said I am feeling the age coming on!! Not in my 30's anymore!!

bukwild
05-02-2014, 05:54 PM
A few months ago a good friend of mine sent out an email that said "7 months to go" or something to that effect with a link to Cameron Hanes working out and talking about fitness and hunting. Basically my buddy was throwing out a challenge for us to get in better shape an improve our lifestyles with one of the goals of being able to chase elk in the rut. It was the kick in the butt I needed to make a change, it had been 4 years since I had done any exercise, my job was to either sit at the wheel of my truck or sit behind my desk. I had become very seditary and my eating habits were aweful, fast food, deep fried, greasy, prepackaged, huge portions...

It shames me to say it but I was 290lbs, size 42" waist and could not bend over to tie my shoes or walk a flight of stairs without getting out of breath!

As of today I am down 2 pant sizes, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and do a mix of lifting and cardio. My typical workout is 10 minute warm-up followed by lifting, I try to more compound lifts, one day is upper body focused the next is lower body. My ideal week is working out mon, tues, rest wed and workout thurs and fri. after my lifts I will do cardio, usually the elliptical for 25-40 minutes, depending on how much time I have.

I have found getting up in the morning and going to the gym fairly easy and it really has not interfered with the rest of my life, a job, wife and 4 active kids can keep a guy busy enough.

What I have not found so easy is weight loss and diet, I know my body is changing (jeans fitting better, more muscle etc...) but the scale has not been kind to me, down about 12lbs. I know a lot of it has to do with diet which is steadily getting better, but has a long way to go. But now at least simple tasks do not cause me to loose my breath, I can play a bit of basketball with my kids without feeling like I might pass out or puke.

It is a journey, one I am lucky enough to have a couple of very good friends (brothers) to have started me on it and be by my side.

My short term goals are to keep increasing my fitness level, loose weight. Once I get my weight down I would like to focus on my cardio so I can walk the foothills and pack an elk out.
If any of you more experianced fitness guys have suggestions for me I'd love to hear from you!

You may want to look into eating by macro nutrient needs. Google macro calculator and use it to figure your macro requirements. Then subtract calories that are achievable for you. I eat 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fat and I calculate that using an app (there's also a website) called my fitness pal. it can give you macro values for any food (even searchable by namebrand). I enter all my food and my exercise to get a handle on my output and intake. Its free try it out, take a few minutes to figure it out and then play around with how to achieve your goals. You can add foods to your daily intake just to see if it fits your chart before you eat them which helps. I've been on a two year journey 47Y/O 6'2" / 265lbs 32%BF down to 203lbs 12%BF and bulked up now to 222 14%BF. Good luck!

claystone
05-02-2014, 06:01 PM
55 yrs old now, started lifting 6 months ago have gone up 30 kilos. Can actually lift more than my body weight can't believe it!:)

Arachnodisiac
05-02-2014, 06:44 PM
I run, firefight and I was working with a personal trainer for strength and lifting until I started travelling so much for work a couple of months ago. Hoping to start that up again soon!

I also make sure I get between 10,000 and 12,500 steps daily - about five miles. I use a FitBit tracker as well as the corresponding WiFi scale that measures body fat and weight, and uploads it to a tracking site. Love that stuff.

What blows me away is how fast I will lose conditioning, especially for running. It can be so discouraging sometimes. In November I had a terrible cold, then I was in China, and then all of a sudden, it's been three weeks and I haven't been as good about it ever since. But now that I can run outside again... I've got this!

Edit: I have also found that if I slack off on my fitness routine, I put on ten pounds very easily. I am tired of taking off those ten pounds, and I'd like to lose another 30 before the end of the year.

huntinstuff
05-02-2014, 06:48 PM
55 yrs old now, started lifting 6 months ago have gone up 30 kilos. Can actually lift more than my body weight can't believe it!:)

Over 60 lbs in 6 months?

claystone
05-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Over 60 lbs in 6 months?

Yup I was 195 llbs of KFC lovin bigness and down to 180 lbs now and benching 200 lbs.:)

DiabeticKripple
05-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Over 60 lbs in 6 months?

60 lbs of bench maybe?

brownbomber
05-02-2014, 08:27 PM
60 lbs of bench maybe?

I think that's what was meant, bench your weight you're doing okay. My sister in law is a tiny powerhouse weighs 125 benches 145 and throws up 40's on incline press, I know dudes who can't press 40's on incline. I love the camrederie of people you know and get to know in the gym, don't just get to feel my gains bout theirs too

S&C_Coach
05-02-2014, 10:33 PM
What blows me away is how fast I will lose conditioning, especially for running. It can be so discouraging sometimes. In November I had a terrible cold, then I was in China, and then all of a sudden, it's been three weeks and I haven't been as good about it ever since. But now that I can run outside again... I've got this!

Conditioning comes and goes. Not that an individual would notice as it's slight but "cardio" capacities start to drop within 72hrs of inactivity. That's why many people consider strength king (myself included). Takes a long time to gain real strength but it also takes a LONG time to lose it.

Funny thing is that everyone goes straight to cardio for weight loss but a sound strength program will do more for weight loss than plugging away at 5Ks. A good combo of the 2 though will get the best results hands down.

huntinstuff
05-02-2014, 11:18 PM
60 lbs of bench maybe?

Yeah. I thought he meant body weight
I was gonna ask what stack he was using.......

lucky_magic_stick
05-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Lots of knowledge here, thanks for all the advice and motivation guys and gals. I think I'm pretty blessed, I went from 275lbs at 17 y/o and 6'1, dropped down to 180lbs in 8 months. Now I'm 21 y/o am 6'2 and 220lbs approximately 9% BF currently. Will drop another 5 ish pounds. Worked in a supplement shop for 1.5 years so had a lot of experience creating workouts and diets, as well as training people and picking out supplements for their goals! I truly miss that shop since we sold it a year ago. Was a great part time gig!

Been being a little more forgiving by following the "If it fits your macros" diet scheme. Personally I hate it!!!! After so much keto, so much low carb/high-protein dieting over the years. I just end up holding water, then eating too much! Thanks for the motivation, some of these posts really helped to inspire me again and kick my butt into high gear. Had a cheat meal last night, now it's time to burn that bad boy off!

Good luck on everyone's fitness journey! Keep training, and I'll meet you all on the other side of the mountain (hopefully someone will have a pack and grab a quarter of an elk to help me pack one out!)

Cheers,
Brett

huntinstuff
05-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Lots of knowledge here, thanks for all the advice and motivation guys and gals. I think I'm pretty blessed, I went from 275lbs at 17 y/o and 6'1, dropped down to 180lbs in 8 months. Now I'm 21 y/o am 6'2 and 220lbs approximately 9% BF currently. Will drop another 5 ish pounds. Worked in a supplement shop for 1.5 years so had a lot of experience creating workouts and diets, as well as training people and picking out supplements for their goals! I truly miss that shop since we sold it a year ago. Was a great part time gig!

Been being a little more forgiving by following the "If it fits your macros" diet scheme. Personally I hate it!!!! After so much keto, so much low carb/high-protein dieting over the years. I just end up holding water, then eating too much! Thanks for the motivation, some of these posts really helped to inspire me again and kick my butt into high gear. Had a cheat meal last night, now it's time to burn that bad boy off!

Good luck on everyone's fitness journey! Keep training, and I'll meet you all on the other side of the mountain (hopefully someone will have a pack and grab a quarter of an elk to help me pack one out!)

Cheers,
Brett

6'2 at 220lbs and 9% bf is absolutely awesome. Congrats!! That takes work and clean diet

lucky_magic_stick
05-03-2014, 06:37 PM
6'2 at 220lbs and 9% bf is absolutely awesome. Congrats!! That takes work and clean diet

Gotta love having a good metabolism and high testosterone levels! All my body builder buddies, who are on crank are all mad because I'm all natural. Goal is to join the police force, so can't be an idiot and use gear.

Don't usually like posting pictures, but this was about 3 almost 4 weeks ago. I have a little work a head of me, terrible lighting but was finally seeing a lot of vascularity in my back.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o232/brett_lee/IMG_2134.jpg

Hard work pays off!

brownbomber
05-03-2014, 06:42 PM
That's insane dude!!! Good work man

Hydro1
08-09-2015, 05:08 AM
Bump...
Any pointers to a newbie?
I am thinking working out will really help me drop the fat. My legs are in pretty good shape. I want to focus on the upper body.
Already lost over 28 pounds.
My healthy weight is about 235.(as reccommended by doctors).
Really want to make weight lifting a part of my weekly routine.

DiabeticKripple
08-09-2015, 05:26 AM
Just start easy and work your way into it.

TriggerHappyHippy
08-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Bump...
Any pointers to a newbie?
I am thinking working out will really help me drop the fat. My legs are in pretty good shape. I want to focus on the upper body.
Already lost over 28 pounds.
My healthy weight is about 235.(as reccommended by doctors).
Really want to make weight lifting a part of my weekly routine.

Legs are soo important. They are the biggest muscles in your body. Training legs will give you more results by far than not training them. Most leg workouts incorpaorate a lot core muscles. Train legs the most. I do. Im 34 years old. Ive worked out since I was 14. I am 215 right now, bench 290 for 3 reps, squat over 3 plates and deadlift 4.5 plates. I have never been in such good shape and training legs is a big reason for it.
Your upper boddy will thank you for training legs

Hydro1
08-13-2015, 02:08 AM
Great to know, thanks trigger happy hippy.
Went to the gym in red deer today, going to be really sore tomorrow.
Couldn't even do reps of 12 with 30 pound dumbells. I am in really pathetic shape.
Can only do 3 pull ups in 60 seconds.
15 pushups in 60 seconds, and 25 situps in 60 seconds.

FishingMOM
08-13-2015, 08:02 AM
I swim.
When I do my bench pressing my weight wiggles and giggles.
Then I get spectators going holy carp how the heck can a woman do that.
See I press stinky 5 times then throw him across pool then repeat 5 times.
Then usually a few other kids want to try, or a few men try to copy me and they don't throw the kids nearly as far.
Gym workouts don't always have to happen in a gym.

drake
08-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Couldn't even do reps of 12 with 30 pound dumbells. I am in really pathetic shape.

Keep at it bud....gotta start somewhere.

Esox
08-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Keep at it bud....gotta start somewhere.

x2. I was always in decent shape growing up just because of the amount of sports I played and worked out for those sports. I was always a big guy 6'3, 280-300, but when I started my current job my weight ballooned. I had lost some here and there and always gained it back. In the past 8 weeks I finally swallowed my pride and stopped thinking I could get it done myself and hired a personal trainer twice a week and working out 6 days a week following the plan she made for me. It literaly takes me no more than an hour a day. In the past 8 weeks im down 30 pounds (had a couple weeks where I didn't lose any, damn salmon fishing trip haha), overall since last august I am down 55 pounds. Its a long ways from where I want to be, but I find that I hold myself more accountable now that I go see a personal trainer twice a week. I have another 60-80 to go. My dream has always to get into the mountains sheep hunting, I turned 31 this year and my goal is to get in them next season. I told myself that when I turn 35, I will book myself a dall sheep hunt as a reward for changing my lifestyle.

elkhunter11
08-13-2015, 11:02 AM
I started working out in the mid 80s. I was very much into the martial arts and kickboxing, and I started weight training to increase my strength. When I gave up the martial arts years later, I continued working out in the gym and mountain biking in the summer. My normal schedule was weight training five or six days per week, and riding the mountain bike at least three or four days per week. In the winter, I use the elliptical to replace the mountain bike. Now that I have settled into retirement, I try to make it to the gym at least four days per week, and I ride my mountain bike from my home o the Camrose shooting range pretty much every day that it doesn't rain. I find that I spend about 30 minutes in the gym doing lighter weights, with very little break between sets, and my mountain bike ride takes about an hour round trip, riding as hard as I can. At 55 years, my goal is fitness and endurance, rather than strength, so my days of lifting heavy weights are over.

When I started into the martial arts and kickboxing, I weighed around 165lbs, then as I continued to weight train, my weight increased to the low 190s. Due to some health issues, I went through a stretch where my activity was limited, and my weight increased to around 210llbs. Now that I am getting into a routine again, my weight is back under 200lbs, and my goal is to maintain around 190lbs.

TriggerHappyHippy
08-13-2015, 01:57 PM

Thats the best part lol
When starting out, you will see results fast. It can be very motivating.
With proper rest and diet, you will see small results almost everytimeyou go.
Most important is that you always challange your body to maximum effort.
Never end a set saying I could have done another rep.
Thehealth rewards you will soon see will be enough to keep you going.
Keep up the great work
:sHa_shakeshout: