PDA

View Full Version : Blackened Stainless Steel?

sleslie
10-11-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm sure one of you guys out there will know how Weatherby blackens their stainless barrels? I own a Mark V Ultralight in 280Rem with the blackened stainless, i think it looks really great, seems to be standing up pretty good to the elements, but i have no idea how they did it. Thanks for any information.

double gun
10-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Most shops blacken stainless steel with a spray-and-bake finish like teflon, powder coat, or gunkote. There are a few shops that can chemically blacken S/S but not many, the 2 I think that do it here in Alberta are ATR and R.Smith - but I could be wrong on that. I believe the Weatherbys are chemically blackened.

roger
10-13-2008, 08:54 AM
not sure what you asking...
are you refering to the black in the valley of the fluting on the bbl?
i thot the blackened bbls were regular carbon.
i have one of each
my ultralite wby's receiver is regular carbon steel with the stainless bbl ,
the wifes ultralite wby is totally blackened but the bbl and the receiver and barrel are carbon steel.

sleslie
10-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Now i'm not sure what i'm asking either Roger. I'll try to be more clear this time. My Ultralight Weatherby Mark V according to Weatherby's website has a stainless steel barrel, blackened to reduce glare. Both the flutes and rest of barrel are black. The bolt handle is black, but the rest of the bolt i believe is stainless. As far as i know the stainless steel is not just blued it is actually either chemically blackened or painted black. It seems weird to me they call it stainless steel if it is just regular blued steel.

Solothurn
10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Some stainless steels, particularly 416, 17-4 and 15-5 take well to chemical blackening, which is the same process as hot blueing, just different chemicals.
This process differs from a spray on and bake finishes, in that chemical blackening does not alter dimensions at all, it is stricly a chemcial reaction , "controlled rusting or staining", rather than applying a covering like Teflon or powder coating, or Ceramicoating.
We do do chemical blackening, hot blueing and Ceramicoating here.

mercury
04-06-2009, 08:17 AM
There is a brand new website out there called Google, give it a try.

Pathfinder76
04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
There is a brand new website out there called Google, give it a try.

Is this the new standard internet answer, and you had to go back four months to find a thread to apply it to?

roger
04-06-2009, 06:38 PM
My Ultralight Weatherby Mark V according to Weatherby's website has a stainless steel barrel, blackened to reduce glare. Both the flutes and rest of barrel are black. The bolt handle is black, but the rest of the bolt i believe is stainless. As far as i know the stainless steel is not just blued it is actually either chemically blackened or painted black. It seems weird to me they call it stainless steel if it is just regular blued steel.
my wby has a stainless bbl, and a carbon steel receiver, the trap door and trig guard, bolt handle is also carbon steel as it gets rusty now and then.
i cant recall even reading that it was touted as being stainless.
you maybe right about the bolt shroud being stainless..it certainly looks like stainless.
hmm
mayb give google a try:evilgrin::huh:

buckbrushoutdoors
04-06-2009, 07:24 PM
you cant mix the two stainless and carbon react with each other the barrel can only be one or the other..... unless there was something i missed in my metalargics class

sleslie
04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I guess just like 4 months ago Roger we are still talking about different style guns, which is fine as this is an old post and i am unsure why it was resurrected without anyone having any pertinent information to add.

sleslie
04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Quote from Weatherby's website:

"24" or 26" #1 contour (or modified #2 contour) fluted stainless steel barrel (blackened to reduce game-spooking glare) with recessed target crown (.583 for magnum and .547 for standard calibers)"

Anyways, i don't care anymore, lets let this post die, thanks