PDA

View Full Version : Pass the buck

Redfrog
02-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I was just out running my lab, and saw 5 bucks and three does coming out of my stackyard.
Four dink bucks and a gooder, still sporting bone. I tried to take a pic, but my camera batteries are dead. Try tomorrow, maybe. They looked in better shape than last year at this time.

adogwiththumbs
02-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Even down south here with all the snow they are looking pretty spry.
Seems to be a lot of people putting out sacrificial bales. Nice to go out coyote hunting and see more deer than dogs....sometimes

Redfrog
02-22-2014, 04:58 PM
I put bales in my orchard and up in a north pasture windbreak. the buggers never touch them. they would rather irritate my dogs and feed where my horses feed. They mess up more than they eat.

Flanny
02-22-2014, 10:01 PM
I was just out running my lab, and saw 5 bucks and three does coming out of my stackyard.
Four dink bucks and a gooder, still sporting bone. I tried to take a pic, but my camera batteries are dead. Try tomorrow, maybe. They looked in better shape than last year at this time.

Meth Lab?

... Sorry couldn't resist. Was my first thought.
Can you tell I just started watching Breaking Bad?

Redfrog
02-22-2014, 10:52 PM
No meth lab here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/MerlinJune232011007.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Redfrog/media/MerlinJune232011007.jpg.html)

purgatory.sv
02-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Looks ready.

Flanny
02-22-2014, 11:03 PM
You never know...
http://i.imgur.com/OQlBO.jpg

Flanny

TreeGuy
02-23-2014, 12:21 AM
That's funny, Flanny.

Nice looking pooch, Red. :)

roger
02-23-2014, 06:51 AM
I was shedding on a property in zone 222 and the deer paths were 3 feet wide. there is probably 200-250 wt's there every nite in the silage pit and wreaking havoc with the farmers grain bags.
a 140 class and some sporkhorns were packin.
in three kms of walking the trails only found one tiny three point. the snow was over my knees if stepped off them.

Springer
02-23-2014, 08:57 AM
I was shedding on a property in zone 222 and the deer paths were 3 feet wide. there is probably 200-250 wt's there every nite in the silage pit and wreaking havoc with the farmers grain bags.
a 140 class and some sporkhorns were packin.
in three kms of walking the trails only found one tiny three point. the snow was over my knees if stepped off them.

Well Rog mayebe you need an extra set of eyes along with you...ha ha

hollowleg
02-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Loved the meth lab, Flanny. LOL!:sHa_shakeshout:

jungleboy
02-23-2014, 12:15 PM
I've seen quite few deer North of here in the last while all looking pretty good

Redfrog
02-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Well I was out running a couple dogs today and the one I have in for training came back with a fresh shed. I was happy with her and made a big fuss. She took off again and in a few minutes came back with the other side. :sHa_shakeshout: Not a big rack but a first find on her own with 'wild' sheds.
I guess they are dropping now. I hope she finds the big guy's rack.

I'll get a pic tomorrow, my camera batteries were dead.:)

fog
02-27-2014, 10:25 PM
I'd love to try this but when my cockers leave the yard they are tunneling --- lol

HunterDave
02-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Hey, that's great that you have a dog that brings you shed, I'm jealous cuz mine only brings me dead squirrels and gophers. :)

I always thought that you can judge how well the deer are nourished by how long the bucks sport their antlers. I don't know how scientific it is but it seems to have been the case from my observations. With poor nutrition they always seem to lose them a lot earlier.

Batwoman
02-28-2014, 07:35 AM
This winter is the first since we moved here in 2009 that we have not seen at least 12 deer and up feeding on both sides of the house. They seem almost non existent and it is not because of our ferocious "watch dog" either. Not seeing any sign or barely any signs of them as we travel up and down the highway......nothing in the fields. Last year was tough on them and we fed them to try to help out.........now the other possibility is that someones to the west of us have hunted them all............6 hunters over there ........well all 6 have their own guns of some sort I know for I saw a photo.....whether or not all 6 hunt..........another story *wink wink* to my western neighbors............ :rolleyes:

But we have missed seeing them come through the yard.

What we have coming through the yard now are MALE dogs hungering after in heat female dogs to the East and the West. Very Busy up here in our neck of the woods. Soooooooooooooo glad our gal is fixed no babies to come.

Hawkhills
02-28-2014, 07:54 AM
The landscape north/east of the curling rink hasnt changed a whole lot in the past years.The only thing noticeable exception is the deer population.Almost non existant.With these wicked temperatures the remaining critters in the area will be under stress.Fingers crossed for an early spring

Okotokian
02-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Interesting story recently in AO on feeding game. Hadn't realized some of the negative impacts on the animals themselves when that is sometimes done.

super7mag
02-28-2014, 08:01 AM
Hey Froggy charge your camera battery's !!! Just a friendly reminder lol.
Good looking lab.