PDA

View Full Version : Savage rifles, do they all shoot like this?

JohninAB
10-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Took the 22-250 to the range again today. This is a 3 shot group at 100 yards using factory Winchester 40 grain JHP. Gun is the 11GCNS I believe with a Bushnell trophy scope.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/JohninAB/IMG_0226.jpg

altaberg
10-12-2008, 11:36 AM
yup,

may be not quite like that, but all I've seen come pretty close.
Never seen one worse than MOA and most better.

Bushrat
10-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I had a .223 savage that was pretty sad and a friend had a stevens .223 that wasn't much better. After about 800 rounds of various handloads, factory loads, scope changes, bedding, re-crowning, trigger adjustments and borescoping I could not find any defects but the best groups it shot were just under 2". I have a few other .223's and they will all shoot tight little knots.

The Rog Man
10-12-2008, 12:29 PM
The peeps that say Savage is junk usually have too much money.
I have owned Savage and out of the box they are kill zone.
I hunt with several guys that have the Savage hunter packages and they love them.
Granted the scope that comes with them is not that great but it is adequate for the first year till you save up and replace it.
Savage is still the best bang for yer buck in my opinion especially if you don't have lotts of dough too spend.

MK2750
10-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Just got in the door from Crappy T. The guy in front of me got a 7mm mag, scope, camo soft case and two boxes of shells for just over five hundred bucks.

Pretty hard to beat that.

Cooeylover
10-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I bought a savage bolt in .243 last year with the accu-trigger. Man i tell you what, that thing is SAAA_WEEET!!!!! its nice and light, with a decent poke. But i admit i did put a bushnell scope on it, but the gun groups really nice. Would not hesitate at all to buy another one. Only beef i got is that the stock dont seem to fit as nice as my browning, but its definatly worth the $$. As stated, i dont regret the purchase, and would not hesitate to get another!!

:) My 0.02$

sbtennex
10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Did you (http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=20659) read this thread?

Pioneer2
10-13-2008, 10:01 AM
No, most shoot better than that but don't get discouraged practice makes perfect! Just kiddin man..............I'd be surpised to find a BA Savage that didn't shoot MOA os better ! Even the 99's shoot 1/2-1" groups with some coaxing and handloads........................Harold

Donny Bear
10-13-2008, 07:08 PM
I grow more convinced everyday that they all do I have some good coin tied up in rifles. Nothing like some of the guys on this forum but the 243 111Youth that I bought for my son is .500 steady. I demonstrated this with two friends the past week 4 sub MOA groups lest than 1.5 inches in deviation all vertical shooting 58grain Barnes Varminators, 55gr NBT, 85 gr TSX and 100gr Barnes X You can switch to any of the 4 loads and get superb accuracy I have never seen the like of it in any Gun I have owned no ajustments go from youtes to Mule Deer with the switch of a clip :cool: each of those groups was between .420 and .680 of a lead sled.

3 bills into my 300wsm and it won't match any of those groups back to the reloading bench.

Note Saturday Anchored a NT Antelope with the 100gr at a respectable range while the WSM stayed in the pick up.