PDA

View Full Version : Custom rifle

johnwayn
10-13-2008, 05:50 PM
I am interested in the 300H&H and since their are no production guns curently chambering this round I will have to have one built.

I am curious as to what action I should use. Should I look for a magnum length action or would it be easy enough to have a standard length action modified?

Also are their any gunsmiths you would recomend in the Red Deer area?

LuckySeven
10-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm............how bout the Ruger Hawkeye in 300RCM or 375Ruger in the African/Alaskan model ???

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Rifle&subtype=Bolt%20Action&famlst=60

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=60&variation=M77%AE%20Ruger%20Compact%20Magnums&bct=Yes&type=Rifle

rottie
10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
I am interested in the 300H&H and since their are no production guns curently chambering this round I will have to have one built.

I am curious as to what action I should use. Should I look for a magnum length action or would it be easy enough to have a standard length action modified?

Also are their any gunsmiths you would recomend in the Red Deer area?

Talk to Dave Henry at Bently,he will know the best route to go

bobinthesky
10-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Lots of standard length actions have been modified to accomidate H&H length cartridges but the feed ramp has to be cut away and that weakens the breech where the bottom bolt lug locks up. Not a good idea to say the least! You're better off to use an action that was designed with these long cartridges in mind such as the M70 or M700.

Solothurn
10-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Do the job correctly, buy an action already set up for a magnum, anything 7Rem Mag or up will work fine, without having to open up the boltface, possibly get creative with the extractor, alter the feed rails and ramp.
Sure all of these things can be done, but why make a simple job into an expensive 1?
Personally I would go Remington, not because they are the best action, but simply because, they are readily available, they can be had for a reasonable price, are fairly easy to work on, come in magnum calibers, and there is no end to the parts that are available, so whatever type of rifle you want to build, the parts are easy to get.
Pre 64 Winchesters are nice, and would be classic for the 300H&H, but are scarce, and a royal bitch to get parts for.
The Magnum Mausers are also classic, but very spendy, by the time you are finished.

Buckhead
10-16-2008, 07:58 PM
If it was me I'd want one on the M70 action.

Also, check out gunbroker.com , they have some .300 H&Hs listed on there now.