PDA

View Full Version : Fishing help

jimy2wolves
10-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I've got a 7 year old granddaughter that loves to fish and has been bugging me to take her out. Her parents don't fish at all and I haven't since I was a kid. Can anybody suggest a good store with knowledgeable people that can help me pick out some decent gear for her? Also, I have the fishing skills of a moose so any tips or good locations for kids would be appreciated. We're in the Lethbridge/ Crowsnest area.

I really want to keep her interest up in this sport.

Thanks

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
10-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Pm sent .

zewks
10-14-2008, 08:31 PM
im in lethbridge and i think that wholesale would be able to help ya out with everything, as for locations theres lots around here. raymond reservoir for walleye and pike, crowsnest river for trout, keho lake and clear lake for pike. just use a pickerel rig with minnows for walleye and pike and any mepps spinner for trout, also spoons for pike.

soggysocks
10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Its been awhile since I have been, but Lee Lake always produced some decent action. Would go there with my grandpa and we always had a good time. Been a couple years, busy with work. But my baby brother just caught his first fish outta there this year and grandparents said the fishing was good this summer.

The fish arnt too picky either, we would just setup pickeral rigs with marshmallows, power baits or even corn. Put some sinkers on and cast it out and wait. Reel it in a couple meters, wait again, reel a little more until something eats it. But if your anything like me want to do something else, use smaller lures like size 1 or 0 mepps spinners( Or whatever small lures you have in your tackle.) If your feeling really creative I've seen people use flys with a special non sinking weight. Pretty much its a plastic bobber then you can fill with water for weight. You can take a look at one here but they come in different styles mine are transparent with thin surgical tubing in the middle that you run your line down and twist so it doesnt slip. But heres the link (https://server21.lfchosting.com/TFH1982/index.cfm?imageSku=1130550&enlargeSkuz=20457&C=04B&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&PAGEAT=2&FILTERBYPRICE=AND%20retailPrice%20is%20not%20null&D=04&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=04B&GOZ=16) Pickeral Rigs are definitly the winner for ease of use though. Easy to setup and you can never have to worry about presentation other then bait colours. Usally stocked trout arnt too picky, just something to keep in mind if the bite is slow.

Heres a good site for maps and the link is for Lee Lake (http://www.anglersatlas.com/lakes/8217/) so just scroll down to the google map and zoom in a bit to see the road map.

There was another lake nearby we went to which was a hit and miss. Really small lake with alot of weeds but just walking around the shore you could sight fish in this spot. But last time I went I didnt see much of that and it was slow. I think it was called Burmis Lake but dont quote me on that!

Anyways enjoy your trip and hope you both have a good time out there. Hopefully some nice weather rolls in for the trip :D