PDA

View Full Version : surprise in the hole

wifeoutfishesme
03-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Hey,
Anybody experience this. Fishing at Gull, in four feet of water, and all of a sudden a muskrat appears at the bottom of my hole. Initially looked like the head of a big burbot.
Anything crazy makes the day fun !! Good fishing !

Vigsy
03-07-2014, 11:06 AM
At chick a few times weve had them come right up the hole almost in the tent!

The Gecko
03-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I also Had one come right up the hole, wrapped itself in my line, Got hooked in the tail, And was one hell of a fight releasing him....

Hey Vigsy.. This also happened at Chickakoo ! lol lol

Maybe they need to open up fishing regs for Muskrats lol !

silverdoctor
03-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Had that happen once, freaked the crap out of me. Funnier still, had a pike pop up through a hole at chestermere one time, I swear he smiled at me.

Red Neck
03-07-2014, 11:36 AM
:thinking-006: That's just weird.Same lake at least 10 years ago. getting dark slow day falling asleep in my 1 man pop up?
holly hell:fighting0030: what a fight:fighting0030:scared the "#!@*#@" out of me I never realized but, it appears they seem to enjoy it? :budo:
Red Neck Out
:scared0018:

VanIsleGuy
03-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Dont forget your wire leaders while muskrat fishing, they can bite through your line! :)

the11fisherman
03-07-2014, 11:46 AM
One time at Enchant Pond I had a muskrat start to come up my hole. It scared the heck out of me! I didn't even know that there was a muskrat there. I had never seen one during the summer there. It took a bit of time, and unfreaking to realize what it was.

WayneChristie
03-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Ive had it happen quite a few times. always wondered where they get their air when theres no one to drill a hole for them. even seen them come onto the ice and walk across the lake. had quite a few pike jump into the tent too at early ice when its still thin, soon as they see the surface. on the hook that is.

Fish face
03-07-2014, 04:28 PM
We had one pop up into the tent completely out of the hole. Stood there for about a minute.
We didnt move, he didnt move. Just sat there and stared at each other. Finally said hi to him and he split. Some kinda ice shack mexican standoff. It was pretty funny.

Stinky Buffalo
03-07-2014, 04:29 PM
My Father-In-Law had that happen to him too - he was starting to nod off when the muskrat decided to come up through the hole. Freaked him right out! :lol:

crownb
03-07-2014, 04:35 PM
When I was about 8 my dad took me to wab for whites, we were in the tent side by side watching what my dad called a 15-20 pound jack, when all of a sudden a
Muskrat came up my hole and sat on the ice, he had a quick look and scrammed,
Scared the crap out of me, haha. When I tell my kids the story they just laugh and are like right dad, not another fish story.:sHa_shakeshout:

fish99
03-07-2014, 04:51 PM
had one come up the hole run around the inside of my ice and go back down the other hole at lake Macgregor.

owllight
03-07-2014, 05:21 PM
There's a ton of muskrats at Chickakoo, we went floating around there last spring and they happened to be breeding and it was a pretty interesting day. They were eeeeverywhere.

catnthehat
03-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Ive had it happen quite a few times. always wondered where they get their air when theres no one to drill a hole for them. even seen them come onto the ice and walk across the lake. had quite a few pike jump into the tent too at early ice when its still thin, soon as they see the surface. on the hook that is.

I watched a show once where an otter was sipping air bubbles under the ice to go from one hole to another .
Cat

snubber
03-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I was at chickahoo in a small one man tent and all the sudden the hole went dark. So I opened zipped open the door a bit and there was one sitting in my tent right next to the hole. The guy who was fishing in the tent next to me was laughing his ass off. That little tent was shaking back and forth and lots of swearing lol.

Lund rebel
03-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Happened to my dad at salters, he had just commented he saw a nice trout. Then about a minute later his one man tent was shaking we thought he caught it, ran over to help and he was pale white. Turns out the muskrat came up his hole made a lap around his tent and back in. I thought it was funny he didn't.

winmag
03-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Has happened lots mostly fishing in Battle Lake, i usually can see them early and i put my boot over the hole a couple of inches high, i let the rat catch his breath and push him back down and away they go. The kids where little then and used heavy black plastic bags and sat on buckets to fish ,you would hear a loud squeak and the bag would grow legs and run off ,the poor rat is sitting there blinking in the sun , sometimes it took a bit to catch him , usually the wife, the lab and the kids cornered him , the rats liked to jump at you and that just increased the tempo of the squealing, I'd duck in and grab his tail and coxed him back into his hole [just drop the rat in a bucket and tip it onto a hole but be quick] .It was all just a hoot for my boys and the neighbor kids. :)