PDA

View Full Version : How long for barrel life?

dustees
10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
just curious how long an average 7mm rem mag barrel would last. shooting around maybe 750 rounds a year or less...

Grizzly Adams
10-14-2008, 10:22 PM
According to D. Henry, when I had mine there, about 2200 rds.
Grizz

Dick284
10-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Barrel life is mighty iffy to project.
Why?
Because no two shooters treat there firearm the same.
Some will shoot 1 shot every 1 minute, or even more slowly, while others will shoot a series of shots in a much quicker succession and then let the barrel cool down. Some shooters will pound round after round through a barrel till you can fry and egg on it. Other shooters will use a proper bore guide when cleaning their rifle, while others may not, and then push a rickety old 3 piece aluminum rod down the bore, from the crown end. Heck some shooters might not even clean their rifle.

All these activites will affect barrel life.

Other factors that also make barrel life hard to peg are the varying hardeness of all the different lots of barrels produced (even from the same manufacturer)
What sort of stresses were imparted on the chamber when it was cut, how hot did it get cut, what flaws are present, how long is the leade.
Another item often over looked is the type of powder being burnt, some powders have very high burn temperatures, while others may not get quite so hot. Ball powders are notorious for being abrasive to throats as well.

So I guess in a pat answer it all depends.

catnthehat
10-15-2008, 05:57 AM
I have seen them go out in less than 500 rounds because the shooter didn't pay attention to barrel heat, etc.
That being said, sullijr had one for years that his son is still banging away with.
Cat

Mad_Mikee
10-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I know that Rick from ATR uses gunjuice in his 300wm and had put a ton of rounds through it. Maybe Rick will chime in with the specifics.

Bobby B.
10-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Years ago, I purchased a Sako Hunter in 7RM from Dick284 when he worked at WW Arcade. I replaced the factory barrel after approximately 3000 rounds. It still shot well and velocity was good but I wanted a new barrel. The next barrel was a stainless Shilen and I retired it after about 2500 rounds. The next was a Ron Smith gaintwist chambered for a unique cartridge I designed myself. It was identical to the 7RM except for a much longer neck. The reigning theory of the day was longer necks promoted increased accuracy. In addition, I wanted to lessen throat corrosion by utilizing the longer neck. This rifle/cartridge shot 1/4" groups at 100 yds but the long thin necks were easily damaged from careless handling and the cases were very time consuming to fireform, turn the necks, etc so I had it rechambered for the standard 7RM after only a few hundred rounds. Then the rifle itself was stolen so I didn't have it around long enough to say how many rounds it was good for.

I never overheated any of the above barrels and always cleaned them with a bore guide and quality rod.

Bobby B.

raised by wolves
10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I have an off the shelf Remington that is at least 30 years old, still with all original parts and barrel that drops factory loads under an inch at 200. I have lost count of the rounds I have put through the barrel.

1. Regular cleaning.
2. Avoiding pounding multiple shots to avoid overheating.

sullijr
10-15-2008, 04:06 PM
I have seen them go out in less than 500 rounds because the shooter didn't pay attention to barrel heat, etc.
That being said, sullijr had one for years that his son is still banging away with.
Cat

I swapped that 7mm even for an old husky 30/06 in 1972 when a BDL cost $189.99.I would think that there is at least 30lb of 4831 and 7828 down that barrel.

Solothurn
10-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I know that Rick from ATR uses gunjuice in his 300wm and had put a ton of rounds through it. Maybe Rick will chime in with the specifics.

Yup that old 300 win mag now has over 5000 rounds down the pipe, kills lions dead and is still shooting sub 1/2 moa, why exactly mystifies me, it certainly shouldn't.

Quality of barrel is part of the equation, in this particular case it is a stainless Ron Smith barrel, a large part of the barrel life is keeping it cool, always. With this rifle I leave 2 minutes or more between shots. This was the 1st experience with Gun Juice as well for me. This barrel has been bathed in Juice since the 1st round was fired.
I have had the same experiences to a lesser degree with other rifles in other calibers, but I have not reached the round count of that 300 yet.

Conversely my 12 year old daughter burned out a new 50 caliber barrel in 1 day for me, shooting gophers, thank God the grass was green or that barrel would have lit up the farm. Burning out a brarrel is greatly increased with heat, just like preheating a piece of steel then using the acetylene torch on it, it cuts far easier preheated than stone cold.