PDA

View Full Version : custom vs customized rifle??

roger
10-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Another thread johnwayn was asking about a custom gun, now im thinking...its only a definition...but, is there a differance?
other than a couple of g's, more fine tuning, maybe difficulty in parts finding. buying a new sps and replacing everything on it can hardly a custom gun... customized yes.

things that may be included:

customized rifle=
factory barrelled action with aftermarket trig assm, tricked-out bolt-on stock, etc. and is perhaps intended for specialized application, like whitetail/elk hunting or a lazer like varmit rig

custom rifle=
custom aftermaket receiver, maybe a 'gucci' caliber in a handmade bbl, tuned, squared bolt and other gunsmith secrets, plus all of the above. and may only have single use application, like thousand yard stuff or maybe a super-ultralite sheep gun.

maybe its just my cold medication talking but do you all got anything on the issue??

sdeviation
10-16-2008, 08:22 PM
ya i get what ur saying...more like professionally rebuilt,,,,,I dont think there are many that build there own actions and barrels around here r there?

anyhows i just noticed your signature line ,,,hmmm :( it aint bin a year yet
sorry about your cold get better soon,,,:wave:

Dick284
10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Customizing is glitzing up on the same frame sort of concept. ie throwing a Pac Nor tube on a factory action, maybe the smith tweeks the action some, but in the end the action is still made on a mass produced basis.

A total Custom job will be aftermarket from the ground up. Ie. someones aftermarket action like a Neiska, or Montana a true custom tube like a RKS or Hart, an after market stock such as a McSwirly, better than off the shelf mounts and rings usually something Tallyish or better/obscure, aftermarket trigger.

Solothurn
10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
You are pretty close in your definitions.
I prefer "modified" factory rifle being keeping the factory action/barrel and then adding some parts and minor tinkering.
As opposed to true custom. I can't speak for all gun makers or smiths, but here a custom is what you want it to be.
My own personal custom bolt rifles for example, have a Righthand bolt, but a left side ejection port.
The ports are enlarged significantly to accept the long seated VLD bullets in the calibers I tend to shoot.
My stocks are fully adjustable to facilitate all position shooting and with an adjustable LOP can be lengthened for summer shooting in a T shirt or shortened for winter shooting.
My brakes all are designed for prone shooting without ports on the bottom, so I don't get covered in debris from the muzzle blast.
Maximum run out in my chambers is .001, so true match dies are what I use.
Needless to say these are not typical hunting rifles, I am not your typical hunter, which is part of the reason I use essentially a match rifle for hunting.

Other examples of true customs can be had with fancy wood stocks that are fitted individually to the client. There are makers who specilaize in classic hunting rifles that are built to the clients specs and tastes.
So yes there is a real difference between custom and customized.

Close up of my hunting rifle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/albertatacticalrifle/IMG_0070.jpg

Not so close up
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/albertatacticalrifle/Africa128-1.jpg

Pathfinder76
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I've done both. There is a difference.

The most custom rifle I've built was built by Bill Leeper. It started life as a new Model 70 that had everything thrown out but the action and trigger assembly. Even then the action was extensively modified. That included blueprinting, opening of the ejection port (which then required a unique hole spacing on the rear bridge), complete modification of the underside of the action to accommodate a custom magazine box built by D'Arcy Echols, Complete reshaping of the bolt stop, bolt work, custom bases for talley rings etc. To that was added a custom barrel and McMillan stock.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l433/chuck_nelson/P1020563-1.jpg

Then a customized rifle (ironically my favorite). A stock Model 70 action, reworked trigger, custom bottom metal, custom barrel, and McMillan stock. Kind of a piece meal effort.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l433/chuck_nelson/P1070339.jpg

roger
10-16-2008, 08:56 PM
anyhows i just noticed your signature line ,,,hmmm :( it aint bin a year yet
,,,:wave:

SD, haha! things are aok with us...we are as solid as the box sides of a 77 chev halfton!

hey chuck that bolt handle seems to be on the wrong side..i bet that mod was expensive
thnx ATR, i think we are on the same page! the 'modified' word is a much more effective.
sounds like you like to hunt from one township to the next one.
maybe the differance is budget for a custom rifle...if you have to ask how much it is...you cant afford it!!

spurly
10-16-2008, 09:02 PM
This is my version of customized at about half the price of custom. Rem. model 7 action flats ,bolt flutes , bolt shroud re shaping, customized tallies to remove cantilever. weighs 7.5 lbs scoped

Solothurn
10-16-2008, 09:38 PM
sounds like you like to hunt from one township to the next one.

I don't like to get too close to things, with enough distance I have no worries of blood getting splashed on me.:rolleyes: I understand that there are diseases in blood now, like AIDS and Annoyed Cow Disease, 1 can never be too careful:D