PDA

View Full Version : Auto TV Channel Tuner

260 Rem
03-17-2014, 05:01 PM
My younger brother is in a Nursing Home and has basically lost the dexterity to change TV channels ... Does anyone know of a system/TV that would enable me to pre-program his TV for his favorite shows?
Shaw Cable in Edm is the provider.

FallAirFever
03-17-2014, 06:09 PM
I have a telus hd pvr and I can program it to change to a show I want to record
Its a couple years old so I am sure the new Shaw ones can do the same. Set it for auto tune. Might just have to clear the memory once in a while.
Good luck

260 Rem
03-17-2014, 06:47 PM
I talked to Shaw Cable and their PVR's do not have an auto-tune feature. I use Shaw Direct (the satellite arm of Shaw) and it does have the auto-tune feature. Unfortunately, Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct are different.

iliketrout
03-18-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm sorry I can't help with your problem. The only thing I could think of is either a large button remote control (not sure of the extent of his dexterity loss) or to go on to a TV Forum, I'm sure there would be somebody on there with the know-how to do this. I just googled "TV Forum Canada" and this link came up and there are close to 160,000 users.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for your brother.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/

260 Rem
03-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Thanks ..trout, we used the "big button" model for a while but after some time he kept hitting the wrong buttons ...would get it off channel ..lose cable signal ...then no TV until I could get to town to reset. Staff won't touch that stuff. I finally cut off all the buttons that lead him astray which worked for a while, but unfortunately with MS, it just keeps getting worse.
EDIT: When I talked to the Shaw Cable guy, he led me to believe that the channel change function is in the cable box ... not the TV ...which seems to make sense, but I'm pretty green regarding electronics. I did ask that he take the issue to Shaw Cable Admin to see if they can come up with a remote that tunes the cable boxes the same way the satellite recievers are auto tuned. Someone must have a solution, otherwise the handicapped will be stuck watching soaps the rest of their life. I am going to try the MS Society today.

Rustynail21
03-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Might be able to use an IPAD or tablet as a remote control program to help with the auto tune. Either the apple iTunes store or google play may have some options. My phone has 'watch on' which you can program reminders then its a big button that goes to the channel. Sure there are others.

260 Rem
03-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks Rusty -- I'm looking at all the options and if "there's an app for that" I will feret it out:) Only thing is that --- then it will be me trying to figure out all this "app" stuff.
So far, not even the Glenrose or MS Society are aware of a solution, but they are looking.

RoguePiper
03-18-2014, 09:51 AM
How is his speech? Would something that has voice control work? I'm not sure if there is any hardware that works in Canada yet, Xbox One can do this in the US, but not here yet.

260 Rem
03-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Speech is OK ... but he is starting to have issues with short term memory, so we really need something that I can program for him --that will tune to Murdoch at 7:00pm, then switch to Band of Brothers at 8:00pm etc.
As mentioned, I can do that with my Shaw Direct (satellite) PVR -- but Shaw Cable in Edm doesn't have that feature. I have considered recording programs for him...but then it goes back to his inability to manage the remote.

Au revoir, Gopher
03-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Try doing a search for "voice control universal remote". I have no experience with any of them, but I know a few do exist.

ARG