PDA

View Full Version : Glued on front site (Help)

AlazyS
10-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi, bought a slug shotgun and the previous owner had "glued on" a front rifle sight. I gave it a couple taps but this thing isn't moving. I think it may be epoxy. Does anyone know of a solvent that I could use that won't eat at my barrel and easily get this sight off.

Please help. This rifle sight looks like a dogs breakfast.:tongue2:

Thanks a heap.:)

Solothurn
10-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Try putting the barrel in the freezer overnight , then give it a rap.
If that fails a paint stripping type heat gun will usually soften most epoxies, but you will likely melt the site insert.
Good Luck

AlazyS
10-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks ATR, would liquid nitrogen be to hard on the barrel? Instead of sitting it in the freezer, I have liquid nitrogen on hand, perhaps a few drops ???

Thanks.

Jason Balesdent
10-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Personally I would recommend NOT using the nitrogen,, you run the risk of damaginf the barrel if it has not warmed up enough and you hit it. I'd stick to what ATR said,, a night in the deep freeze or a heat gun (not a hair dryer). And good luck with that.

sdeviation
10-17-2008, 10:11 PM
x2 epoxy hates heat
add,,,the cheaper stuff will start breaking down at around 180&#deg; C

Solothurn
10-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks ATR, would liquid nitrogen be to hard on the barrel? Instead of sitting it in the freezer, I have liquid nitrogen on hand, perhaps a few drops ???

Thanks.

I would NOT use the liquid nitro, you could dmage the barrel as that stuff is REALLY cold. The freezer won't hurt anything.