PDA

View Full Version : Electric trolling vs Gas outboard

FlareKing
03-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Ok, so here's the deal. I got a bout, inflatable. It's pretty sweet if I do say so myself. Check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=213432

Anyways, I made a thread last week about recommendations on a trolling motor, I greatly appreciate all the input. So, I was pretty well sold on a 55lb minnkota but after pricing out the motor and the battery. I started to compare it to small gas outboards. I have been looking for info online as to what a 55lb trolling motor would sort of compare to in a gas engine, say a 2.5hp. What everyones thoughts?

FishingFrenzy
03-24-2014, 07:12 PM
You will go alot further on 50lbs of gas, than on a 50lb battery.

Gas will go further and faster.

It will also have higher ongoing maintenance costs, oil change, gas, spark plugs, etc.

Electric is clean, quiet and "fuel" is not an ongoing investment. You wont get the same speed or range though.

Depends what is important to you. If you just like to go out and put around the electric only trout pond, go electric.

If you want the ability to go far, at a better speed - go gas.

bhguy
03-24-2014, 07:18 PM
If you are going to troll alot or travel back and forth across then gas is a must. But I wil stick to me electric. Reliable, no gas, and quiet

FlareKing
03-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Quite was a big reason for the e-power. But more power is always a good thing!

scesfiremedic
03-24-2014, 07:26 PM
How are you going to recharge the battery (if you are going for more than a day)? Better safety factor (with gas motor) when the weather suddenly changes and you need to get off the water in a hurry.

Mudslide
03-24-2014, 07:27 PM
If it's the only motor on the boat and you can afford it, go gas for sure.

RavYak
03-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Electric is clean, quiet and "fuel" is not an ongoing investment. You wont get the same speed or range though.

Deep cycle batteries required for trolling motors are not cheap and should be replaced every few years which offsets a little bit of the cost of fuel.

For the OP, what is that boat rated for HP wise?

I would say go with gas if it has a 10 or so hp rating. You will really appreciate having the extra speed to get you to fishing spots and off the lake if wind picks up.

FlareKing
03-24-2014, 07:36 PM
She says she is rated for 21.44hp. I don't have a lot of cheddar laying around for a motor.

The Fisherman Guy
03-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Having done both, I would go gas.

Electric is nice on small ponds, as in paddle to shore small ponds. I've had my electric die on my waaaaaaay up Kennedy Lake on Vancouver island and had it go kaputski on me. That was a LONG paddle, into the wind, back to camp.

Food for thought.

You could buy a $99 bass pro motor, and a $100 deep cycle battery, and it will putt you around. But it will be slow, and that battery doesn't get any lighter. Resale on it is basically half, if you're lucky.

Buy a small gas outboard used, and you will be much happier. Small four strokes can be had for under $500.

Good luck!

Mulestalker
03-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Had a 13' inflatable, had an electric and a gas.

Depending on where you plan on using it,if its just stocked ponds,etc then electric is king. I you plan on open water, rivers, then gas is the answer.

What I suggest is go gas, then look around for a 30lb Minn Kota 12v, you can find them cheap on Kijiji,etc $60-$80.

I got fed up of packing ,unpacking,blowing up,installing floor, deflate, dry out and store...pita, it was more work than relaxation.

A set of launch wheels is a must as dragging across fish hooks,sharps,etc will make short work of your pontoons.

RavYak
03-24-2014, 08:10 PM
She says she is rated for 21.44hp. I don't have a lot of cheddar laying around for a motor.

I would get a gas motor. Keep your eye on kijiji and you should be able to find an older 8-9.9 hp motor for $400 or so which is pretty much what it will cost you for a 55 lb electric and decent battery.

FlareKing
03-24-2014, 08:14 PM
I would get a gas motor. Keep your eye on kijiji and you should be able to find an older 8-9.9 hp motor for $400 or so which is pretty much what it will cost you for a 55 lb electric and decent battery.

I think that might be the plan. Nothing on there right now of course.

FlareKing
03-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Had a 13' inflatable, had an electric and a gas.

Depending on where you plan on using it,if its just stocked ponds,etc then electric is king. I you plan on open water, rivers, then gas is the answer.

What I suggest is go gas, then look around for a 30lb Minn Kota 12v, you can find them cheap on Kijiji,etc $60-$80.

I got fed up of packing ,unpacking,blowing up,installing floor, deflate, dry out and store...pita, it was more work than relaxation.

A set of launch wheels is a must as dragging across fish hooks,sharps,etc will make short work of your pontoons.

Plan is to find a old used cheap sled trailer to shuttle it around on. I plan on keeping her inflated at work.

It came with launching wheel. They tossed them in for free!

RavYak
03-24-2014, 08:20 PM
I think that might be the plan. Nothing on there right now of course.

There is a 7.5 Evinrude with gas tank for $500 in Edmonton, just posted an hour ago. Depending on age and shape it might be worthwhile especially if he is flexible on price.

When looking for an outboard if you can do a compression test and then get them to run it for you on muffs.

FlareKing
03-24-2014, 08:32 PM
There is a 7.5 Evinrude with gas tank for $500 in Edmonton, just posted an hour ago. Depending on age and shape it might be worthwhile especially if he is flexible on price.

When looking for an outboard if you can do a compression test and then get them to run it for you on muffs.

Thanks, just saw that! Wonder how old it is. On muffs? That's something that scares me about buying use. I don't know poo about outboards.

bwackwabbit
03-24-2014, 08:39 PM
I own a Seamax HD360 and I have had a few gas and electric motors on it the last 2 seasons (55# Traxxis, 2.5hp Honda and a 9.9hp Honda). All were underpowered for anything other than ponds and small pothole lakes. If you want to get on "plane" with any load (humans and gear) you will need to power up.

I now run a 20hp Merc 4stroke and use the traxxis as trolling/backup to keep the hours low on the Merc. The peace of mind of having both is worth it and nothing beats electric when you want to "sneak up" on your target.

Here's a pic of my setup...
The traxxis mounts to the left of the Merc just next to the pontoon.
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/null_zps93f720d3.jpg (http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/bwackwabbit/media/null_zps93f720d3.jpg.html)

FlareKing
03-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Very nice! Still got your smaller motors for sale? lol

RavYak
03-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks, just saw that! Wonder how old it is. On muffs? That's something that scares me about buying use. I don't know poo about outboards.

They are like ear muffs that you put on outboard, water runs into them keeping the engine cool allowing you to run the outboard without having it in water.

When buying you want to check that the motor is cool, then see how easily it starts and then confirm that it idles/runs smoothly(don't rev high on muffs though). Checking the compression before hand confirms what shape the cylinders are in(most important part of motor) and is quite easy.

If carbs and engine are good then the only other thing that could possibly be bad is the leg. Asking how often they changed the leg oil is likely a good enough way of determining if they took good care of it(should be done every fall). Could check leg oil to see if it is milky etc too if you are worried.

bwackwabbit
03-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Very nice! Still got your smaller motors for sale? lol

Sorry no, I needed every dime to keep the wife off my back after buying the Merc...lol.

waterninja
03-24-2014, 09:35 PM
saw your new boat on the other post. congrats, looks like a sweet ride. also like the sheba ennu. great dogs.
as to your motor question, i would go with the electric for a boat that size just because you can fish a lot more lakes where outboards are not allowed.
either way i bet your in for some good boating and fishing in the future.

Geezle
03-25-2014, 08:36 AM
saw your new boat on the other post. congrats, looks like a sweet ride. also like the sheba ennu. great dogs.
as to your motor question, i would go with the electric for a boat that size just because you can fish a lot more lakes where outboards are not allowed.
either way i bet your in for some good boating and fishing in the future.

I'd say it depends on the fishing he likes to do.

While an electric is great for the trout ponds that only allow electric, he rules out any of the larger lakes (Wab for example) as he'd be horribly underpowered for making any serious distance, especially if say some wind picked up.

I'd go gas first and look for a cheap used electric for the electric only lakes second...but that's just me :)

FlareKing
03-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Another quick question. While looking for a motor should I be looking for a long or short shaft?

The Fisherman Guy
03-25-2014, 09:15 AM
That's in relation to your transom length, and angle.

Most small inflatables have a 15" transom, so to optimize your motors performance find a short shaft. Longer than necessary shafts cause additional drag and will slow the boat down and make it more difficult to get on plane.

fish gunner
03-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Another quick question. While looking for a motor should I be looking for a long or short shaft?

Short ,unless you own a small sail boat or a very deep v hull . Funnily I own all the motors and no boat 40lb electric picked up with batt off guy at work for 100 $ 5hp eska air cooled 250off a client and a 20hp evanrude I grabbed cause it was such a deal . :sHa_shakeshout:keep your eyes and ears open and you'll find the deals a little patience goes a long way . :)good luck safe waters.

FlareKing
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Short ,unless you own a small sail boat or a very deep v hull . Funnily I own all the motors and no boat 40lb electric picked up with batt off guy at work for 100 $ 5hp eska air cooled 250off a client and a 20hp evanrude I grabbed cause it was such a deal . :sHa_shakeshout:keep your eyes and ears open and you'll find the deals a little patience goes a long way . :)good luck safe waters.

Thanks for rubbing that in! lol

RavYak
03-25-2014, 10:01 AM

http://www.outboardcovers.com.au/leg.htm

FlareKing
03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
http://www.outboardcovers.com.au/leg.htm

:thumbsup:

Thanks mang!