PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure Craft Operator Card Replacement

HunterDave
03-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Has anyone ever had to get a replacement Boat license? I'm not sure where mine is and I want to get a jump on things before summer so I went online to find a replacement. I went to www.asmsafeboating.com and I was redirected to www.boaterexam.com. It looks like a company website and they want $19.95 + tax for a replacement card.

I want to make sure that this is the right card and not a scam......although I think that $19.95 + tax is a big enough scam in itself. :(

Ebrand
03-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Wife had to replace her's when we got married and she changed her name.
It was $ 20 from boaterexam.com. Could not find a way around it.

HunterDave
03-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks. The site redirect just seemed odd to me.

dale7637
03-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Yeah, the 20 dollar charge is a joke.

But, I ordered 3 or 4 new cards for the 20$ fee.. Have them stashed around the house. If I loose one I grab another and carry on.

Fordman
03-25-2014, 07:13 AM
I went to the guy who I took the test from and he just ordered me a new one no charge.

Winch101
03-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Generally Dave if you know the name of the company where you got the original
From.......they will issue a replacement....maybe free of charge .
Boater exam is the Bass Pro Place ......I think they have accumulated the
Licencees across Canada ....your original could be out of bussiness .
No sense calling DOT , they know nothing ,strange for a govt agency

dodger
03-25-2014, 05:37 PM
I wonder if I made copies of the one I have would they be proof of taking the course? I would have other government I.D. that would match details.

Just thinking out loud if this would be prudent?

Dodger.

WayneChristie
03-25-2014, 05:59 PM
I still have the temporary one I printed when I was waiting for the plastic one. doubt I would get checked on the river anyways

CanuckShooter
03-25-2014, 08:55 PM
I have never gotten one, never been checked...kind of figured if some american can bring his 100 mph speed boat up here and not have to pass a course then I sure as heck didn't have to either. I have a 12' tin boat and a 4 horse.......

Bigdad013
03-25-2014, 09:01 PM
Cost me 20, took about a week to get it.

badger
03-25-2014, 09:08 PM
I wonder if I made copies of the one I have would they be proof of taking the course? I would have other government I.D. that would match details.

Just thinking out loud if this would be prudent?

Dodger.
I did a high res scan of my card and printed it out in color. Pasted the two sides back to back and laminated it. Did 3 of them at a time, very hard to tell from the original.

I have been checked once and the officer was satisfied with the card. The original sits at home and a copy goes into the safety kit of each boat.

dodger
03-26-2014, 04:34 AM
I did a high res scan of my card and printed it out in color. Pasted the two sides back to back and laminated it. Did 3 of them at a time, very hard to tell from the original.

I have been checked once and the officer was satisfied with the card. The original sits at home and a copy goes into the safety kit of each boat.

Thanks! I like this idea.
Dodger.

Smasher
03-26-2014, 08:20 AM
I lost mine last year at wab when i decided to go for a swim in the middle of the lake, forgetting that my card was in my shorts pocket. I went back to the registry where i took the exam and had to pay $28.00 for a replacement card. Highway robbery, in my opinion.

lok
03-26-2014, 12:55 PM
I lost mine last year at wab when i decided to go for a swim in the middle of the lake, forgetting that my card was in my shorts pocket. I went back to the registry where i took the exam and had to pay $28.00 for a replacement card. Highway robbery, in my opinion.

thats the gov for yeah

Mike_W
03-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Yep its a joke I wanted to get a replacement because after 12 plus years in my wallet mine looks rough and has a big crack but I refuse to pay $20 to get a new one.

What is also frustrating is in the 12 plus years I have had one the only time I was ever asked for one was when renting a seadoo in the shuswaps.

Never once when on my boat or anything......who is suppose to check for a operator card?