PDA

View Full Version : open water derby ideas

WayneChristie
03-25-2014, 08:37 AM
post them up. :test:

AppleJax
03-25-2014, 09:16 AM
All species, minus Sturgeon and Bull Trout. With suckers being an addition.
May 15- October 31

coppercarbide
03-25-2014, 09:21 AM
May 15- October 31

Well... can't get much more succinct than that. Hear hear.

fish gunner
03-25-2014, 09:22 AM
April 1 - oct 31 :)all species, minus sturgeon over 100 cm. Imho. Personally would like to see C&R On entered fish .any good suggestions for a lite weight landing mat?

WayneChristie
03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
May 15- October 31

I like this one. dont think fish on the endangered list should be included at all , just my opinion. quickest way to run into problems

AdverseCity
03-25-2014, 12:15 PM
So us fishermen down south can't enter any post spawn pike, the feeding frenzy will be long over by May 15. Setting a start date that late only stops us southerners from fishing some prime time, anyone up north will still get their post spawn fishing in. The seasons are set differently for a reason, let's just say any fish caught legally in open water is fair to enter.

WayneChristie
03-25-2014, 12:18 PM
So us fishermen down south can't enter any post spawn pike, the feeding frenzy will be long over by May 15. Setting a start date that late only stops us southerners from fishing some prime time, anyone up north will still get their post spawn fishing in. The seasons are set differently for a reason, let's just say any fish caught legally in open water is fair to enter.

another good point. I think May 8 opening day down south should be the starting point though, Im not waiting a week :bad_boys_20:

jacenbeers
03-25-2014, 12:21 PM
I agree with the opening day being May 8th. I also think sturgeon and bulls should count.

huntsfurfish
03-25-2014, 12:23 PM
May 15- October 31
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like this one. dont think fish on the endangered list should be included at all , just my opinion. quickest way to run into problems

another good point. I think May 8 opening day down south should be the starting point though, Im not waiting a week :bad_boys_20:

Agree! With all three, as you can see.:)

WayneChristie
03-25-2014, 12:29 PM
I agree with the opening day being May 8th. I also think sturgeon and bulls should count.

I think it would be too easy for someone inexperienced to get in trouble, and imagine how many negative comments would show up with pics of endangered fish on the ground. no way to focus a pic on a sturgeon beside a tape and see the measurements either. would have to video it to get it all in. for anyone but waterninja, he doesnt have to worry about sturgeon pics :bad_boys_20: anyone care to set up a poll so everyone can vote? only fair everyone has their say

Gust
03-25-2014, 12:55 PM
if you can cook it you can post it.

wags
03-25-2014, 12:59 PM
if you can cook it you can post it.

As in anywhere in the province? Can't keep walleye in most places is why i'm asking.

Cheers

The Reel Deal
03-25-2014, 01:37 PM
May 8- oct 31
All species except sturgeon
Minimum 12" in length

WayneChristie
03-25-2014, 01:42 PM
May 8- oct 31
All species except sturgeon
Minimum 12" in length

some species may not make 12, have to start at eggs and work our way up :bad_boys_20:

Gust
03-25-2014, 01:43 PM
As in anywhere in the province? Can't keep walleye in most places is why i'm asking.

Cheers

No, just a figure of speech; Nobody can keep and eat a Bull or a Sturgeon, so off the list. Walleye can be retained here and there, so it's an edible even if you can't retain it.

AppleJax
03-25-2014, 01:44 PM

And up north we gave up our 2 weeks of prime time on hard water to keep it fair for you southerners. Would you actually not fish for a week because of an online fun derby?

Gust
03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
some species may not make 12, have to start at eggs and work our way up :bad_boys_20:

Howz about you can't enter the board with a smaller fish/species that is already posted e.g., so Wayne posts a 25 inch pike, nobody can post a pike smaller, only bigger.

Dagger time

BeeGuy
03-25-2014, 01:47 PM

All Species. April 1- Oct 31

There is no reason to start it half way into spring. There are fishing opportunities all year round in all regions and we needn't cater to walleye and pike fishermen or regs specific to certain water bodies.
This gives us 7 months to fish open water.
Nov 1 - Mar 31 would give us 5 months to fish hard water.

I think excluding sturgeon and bull trout from the event would show good faith in our commitment as a community to their conservation. Whether there is an impact on them due to the "derby" or not is kinda beside the point. I'm still happy to see their pics posted up, but it would be beneficial I think to acknowledge their special status by not including them.

As for how the fish are measured, I think it would be useful to have a rule regarding what the fish are laying on in order for the entry to be permitted.

An easy method is to get a 1cm thick closed cell camping pad and glue a tailors ruler to it. Alternatively, PVC pipe can be cut longitudinally to provide a cradle and a ruler can be affixed. There are other options, but we should avoid allowing entries where the fish is laying in the mud or grass. Again, this is just to show good faith and a basic commitment to conservation. Fish should be alive and not bleeding.

I harvest fish, and don't care if others do as well, but for the sake of appearances, and conservation, entries should show healthy, living, releasable fish.

Those are my 3 thoughts.

BeeGuy
03-25-2014, 01:49 PM
edit

Gust
03-25-2014, 01:52 PM

There is no reason to start it half way into spring. There are fishing opportunities all year round in all regions and we needn't cater to walleye and pike fishermen or regs specific to certain water bodies.

Yes vote. But to November 30th.

Wayne?

huntsfurfish
03-25-2014, 01:59 PM

I think excluding sturgeon and bull trout from the event would show good faith in our commitment as a community to their conservation. Whether there is an impact on them due to the "derby" or not is kinda beside the point. I'm still happy to see their pics posted up, but it would be beneficial I think to acknowledge their special status by not including them.

As for how the fish are measured, I think it would be useful to have a rule regarding what the fish are laying on in order for the entry to be permitted.

An easy method is to get a 1cm thick closed cell camping pad and glue a tailors ruler to it. Alternatively, PVC pipe can be cut longitudinally to provide a cradle and a ruler can be affixed. There are other options, but we should avoid allowing entries where the fish is laying in the mud or grass. Again, this is just to show good faith and a basic commitment to conservation. Fish should be alive and not bleeding.

I harvest fish, and don't care if others do as well, but for the sake of appearances, and conservation, entries should show healthy, living, releasable fish.

Those are my 3 thoughts.

Sounds good

The Reel Deal
03-25-2014, 02:01 PM

Those are my 3 thoughts.

I agree with all of the above, except it gives only 6 days for the organizers to get it all together - thanks in advance!

WayneChristie
03-25-2014, 02:04 PM
November 30 Im already on the ice usually :) rest of the ideas sound good. might be a bit of blood thats unavoidable sometimes even with a good hookup, no slaughterhouse pools though, and on something besides the ground would be a good plan as well. easy enough to even roll up a small tarp and stick it in your pocket.

BeeGuy
03-25-2014, 02:12 PM
November 30 Im already on the ice usually :) rest of the ideas sound good. might be a bit of blood thats unavoidable sometimes even with a good hookup, no slaughterhouse pools though, and on something besides the ground would be a good plan as well. easy enough to even roll up a small tarp and stick it in your pocket.

Small tarp is a great idea. Just glue a tailors ruler to it and it'll fit in a backpack or vest etc etc also it can be wetted down

also, we could easily get a new thread up for the open water derby in 6 days.

I believe most of the general organization/rules of the derby will stay the same.

Gust
03-25-2014, 02:14 PM

Overlap?

What's a slaughterhouse pool, like a messy unhooking?

WayneChristie
03-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Overlap?

What's a slaughterhouse pool, like a messy unhooking?

gill nick or anything that looks bad. unless its the anglers blood, should get extra credit for bleeding! add an inch per ounce :bad_boys_20:

fish gunner
03-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Those are my 3 thoughts.
Dam yer eyez man,another yes vote. :)

Gust
03-25-2014, 02:21 PM
gill nick or anything that looks bad. unless its the anglers blood, should get extra credit for bleeding! add an inch per ounce :bad_boys_20:

Gill Nick is my middle name.

waterninja
03-25-2014, 05:13 PM
talk about having your cake and eating too. us "northeners" had to stop 2 weeks early to accomadate the "southeners" and now they want to start 2 weeks earlier.
personally i don't care, it's all good.
as for not being able to fish, even though the ice contest is over a lot of us are still fishing and will continue to do so well into april. spring ice fishing is the best. love being on the ice when it's sunny and plus teen temps.

C & C
03-25-2014, 05:30 PM

Those are my 3 thoughts.

This sounds perfect and the PVC pipe works great too

chriscosta
03-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Im all for it this is gonna be fun lets start asap.. when do the ponds normally open up?

chriscosta
03-25-2014, 06:00 PM
And I missex out on the hardwater fishing season one where do I get some of those sighns for the picture of the fish?

rafhone
03-25-2014, 06:27 PM
I also like beeguy's ideas. I am willing to cover the cost on a small trophy and the engraving. Winner will have to pick up or cover the shipping.

FishAb
03-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I like beeGuys idea ! I'm excited already , but will b gone the first week of the derby which sucks :/

RavYak
03-25-2014, 08:25 PM
For pictures, they sell fish measuring devices of all sizes or you can make your own. I do many kayak fishing tournaments and that is what we use, the picture needs to show both nose and tail in the photo for it to count.

Here is an example, measuring device is a "Hawg Trough"

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/Mobile%20Uploads/P3100076.jpg

As for dates, I think May 1st to Oct 31st is fair.

Ignoring sturgeon and bull trout is a good idea since many people waste too much time getting pictures.

Red Neck
03-26-2014, 01:02 PM
:)Sounds great and I also support the "not on the ground' if we can be advocates and mentors in the safe handling and conservation of our resource, we can lead by example. I am 50/50 on the sturgeon exemption. If we can demonstrate and practice safe fish handling practices? why not allow them, what will poor Wayne post :thinking-006:
Red Neck Out
:scared0018:

RavYak
03-26-2014, 02:00 PM
If we can demonstrate and practice safe fish handling practices? why not allow them, what will poor Wayne post :thinking-006:
Red Neck Out

The problem is that taking pictures isn't really a safe handling technique... It can lead to fish being out of the water for a significant length of time which should be avoided especially on protected species like sturgeon. There are places where it is actually illegal to take some species out of the water for a photograph because of this(Goliath Grouper in Florida for example).

WayneChristie
03-26-2014, 05:18 PM
:)Sounds great and I also support the "not on the ground' if we can be advocates and mentors in the safe handling and conservation of our resource, we can lead by example. I am 50/50 on the sturgeon exemption. If we can demonstrate and practice safe fish handling practices? why not allow them, what will poor Wayne post :thinking-006:
Red Neck Out

have to stick to trash fish I guess :bad_boys_20:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/sept15%202013/P9130114_zps51f4ffc0.jpg

Dale S
03-26-2014, 05:41 PM

Those are my 3 thoughts.

It's going to be hard to get everyone to agree about everything. These are simple rules, easy to follow.
I put forward a motion to except theses rules for the 2014 Alberta Outdoorsman Open Water Derby.

FishAb
03-26-2014, 05:44 PM
have to stick to trash fish I guess :bad_boys_20:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/sept15%202013/P9130114_zps51f4ffc0.jpg
" Real trashy " :snapoutofit::thinking-006::sHa_sarcasticlol:

chriscosta
03-26-2014, 05:56 PM
How does one enter a fish? take a pic by a clear measurement what about them stickers ...how do you get one? lol i know i sound new haha

rafhone
03-26-2014, 06:11 PM
How does one enter a fish? take a pic by a clear measurement what about them stickers ...how do you get one? lol i know i sound new haha

when the derby starts they will make a template available, simply print it out and sharpie your name on. I laminated mine last year and kept 4 copies with me just in case. Worked great.

rafhone
03-26-2014, 06:12 PM
It's going to be hard to get everyone to agree about everything. These are simple rules, easy to follow.
I put forward a motion to except theses rules for the 2014 Alberta Outdoorsman Open Water Derby.

I second this motion.

Dale S
03-26-2014, 07:00 PM

I meant to say "accept" not except.

WayneChristie
03-26-2014, 07:04 PM

works for me, seems to be the general consensus of the poll too. can it be everyone is going to agree with something beeguy posted for once? :scared0018:

waterninja
03-26-2014, 08:39 PM
i agree with whatever everyone else agrees to. thought the ice fishing one was fun, and i would'nt want to be the guys who did all the work keeping track of entries and tabulating results.
i do have one suggestion. if we allow sturgeon i think it should be in a seperate category by itself.
i am not suggesting this cause i'm a sturgeon virgin.

rafhone
03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
works for me, seems to be the general consensus of the poll too. can it be everyone is going to agree with something beeguy posted for once? :scared0018:

Hell froze over, huh? Explains the weather.

But in all seriousness it does seem fair to the mountain folk, will give me an added reason to try the bow (in all year areas, check your regs) and we could see some impressive trout posted.

It would be cool if the fly fishing forum got involved.

rafhone
03-26-2014, 09:14 PM
I meant to say "accept" not except.

i knew what ya ment. i do it to.

wags
03-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Hell froze over, huh? Explains the weather.

But in all seriousness it does seem fair to the mountain folk, will give me an added reason to try the bow (in all year areas, check your regs) and we could see some impressive trout posted.

It would be cool if the fly fishing forum got involved.

Oh I think we are :)

Cheers,
Jay

BeeGuy
03-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Registration card test

Gust
03-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Registration card test

A, I can't draw that.

B, I'm not buying anymore printer ink.

BeeGuy
03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
A, I can't draw that.

B, I'm not buying anymore printer ink.

You can print it in black and white.

Or ask someone to print it for you/

It should print to 6"x4.5"

I'll print up a tester and see how it goes.

huntsfurfish
03-27-2014, 10:08 PM
You can print it in black and white.

Or ask someone to print it for you/

It should print to 6"x4.5"

Printed to: 6.75" x5.25".

landscape printed to: 8x6.25 inch. Prints fine in B&W.

RavYak
03-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Get rid of the fish pictures and just put 2014 OW Fishing Derby and your name. Will be a lot more clear for pictures...

BeeGuy
03-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Here is a smaller version

rafhone
03-27-2014, 11:05 PM
It is a little over complicated. The fish won't look like nothing but blobs on an old black and white printer. Can we simplify beeguy.... since it seems you've taken over.

BeeGuy
03-27-2014, 11:06 PM
here is a more spacious version

BeeGuy
03-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Here is the dot matrix version

rafhone
03-27-2014, 11:15 PM
Template shouldnt be released untill start date anyways. This should be agreed apon through pm's with the people that will judge the tourney.

rafhone
03-27-2014, 11:16 PM

Okay that pretty funny.

BeeGuy
03-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Template shouldnt be released untill start date anyways. This should be agreed apon through pm's with the people that will judge the tourney.

Wouldnt want someone to get a head start printing a name tag :thinking-006:

rafhone
03-27-2014, 11:24 PM
It was a good try.

WayneChristie
03-27-2014, 11:45 PM
had a hard enough time drawing the winter one, I caint draw all them fishies! got no printer ink either. how bout same as the winter one only different?

Gust
03-28-2014, 12:09 AM

Ok, and it's Gust with a capital G, thanks.

Gust
03-28-2014, 12:31 AM
hows about everybody goes out and buys a 4'x4' tarp and fashion their name on it for pics and handling.

My tarp will be 5'x5'.

coppercarbide
03-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Okay, I see we have some consensus here, I haven't been in here in a while, too busy arguing with some crazy honeymaking frenchman in the general discussion ;)

I'll write up some rules after work today and submit for any comments.

BassDude
03-28-2014, 11:55 PM

LOL x 100:sHa_sarcasticlol:

AppleJax
03-29-2014, 08:48 AM
CopperCarbide and I drafted the new derby rules yesterday, Derby will start April 1. There's a few new species added to the list to make things interesting ;)

Dale S
03-29-2014, 10:26 AM
CopperCarbide and I drafted the new derby rules yesterday, Derby will start April 1. There's a few new species added to the list to make things interesting ;)

Thanks for your time guys.

coppercarbide
03-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks for your time guys.

Check your email Dago, let me know if you're good with the rules, and if you're fine with you and AppleJax being the judges again.

waterninja
03-29-2014, 04:31 PM
quit teasing. post them up for some feedback. (positive of course)